Monitors go black and graphics card fans at 100% out of nowhere until I restart it

martin1592
Go to solution Solved by martin1592,

I'm not sure if it was software or hardware, but the problem seems to be gone (hasn't happened in 3 days) after I upgraded to a 2080Ti.

It might have been the old card, or something related to the drivers, that we'll never know I guess :( It was an interesting problem for sure, would've loved to fix it without "cheating" with an upgrade haha

Thanks everyone for the replies!

It started happening a few weeks ago. It happens at random times, when I'm playing, when I'm watching a movie or even when when no one is using the PC at all.

First thing I thought was temperatures, I've been checking them all and they seem totally fine even right before the problem happens. Both CPU and GPU sit below 40c idle, CPU rarely ever goes above 60c (water cooled) and haven't seen the GPU reach 90c while gaming (usually around 80-85c).

Sometimes it happens multiple times a day, then it goes a few days without happening, then it happens again...

I can't find anything to relate it to, everything seems normal and I didn't do any hardware change recently other than adding a new SSD a few months ago. 

I tried unplugging monitors and peripherals and it still happened after a few hours of running doing nothing at all.

Specs:

i7 8700k 

Gigabyte 1080Ti 

Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming

Samsung 960 Pro and 860

EVGA Supernova G650 G2

Video showing what happens

If you have any idea of what it could be causing it, please let me know!

36 minutes ago, martin1592 said:

It started happening a few weeks ago. It happens at random times, when I'm playing, when I'm watching a movie or even when when no one is using the PC at all.

First thing I thought was temperatures, I've been checking them all and they seem totally fine even right before the problem happens. Both CPU and GPU sit below 40c idle, CPU rarely ever goes above 60c (water cooled) and haven't seen the GPU reach 90c while gaming (usually around 80-85c).

Sometimes it happens multiple times a day, then it goes a few days without happening, then it happens again...

I can't find anything to relate it to, everything seems normal and I didn't do any hardware change recently other than adding a new SSD a few months ago. 

I tried unplugging monitors and peripherals and it still happened after a few hours of running doing nothing at all.

Specs:

i7 8700k 

Gigabyte 1080Ti 

Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming

Samsung 960 Pro and 860

EVGA Supernova G650 G2

Video showing what happens

If you have any idea of what it could be causing it, please let me know!

That is a weird issue. Did you upgrade your video drivers from the time it was fine to the time things got faked up ?  If so then I recommend you run DDU "Display Driver Uninstaller" in safe mode.  Clean and Restart option and it will reboot you back into normal mode and now install the latest WHQL graphics.  This is not a hardware flaw, more of a software tangle and what not.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

Reminds me of windows sleep bugs. The couple times I dealt with tracing the problem to its source it looked like a OS corruption. The fix I found for it was a clean install. Checking Event Viewer (right click the windows logo bottom left, look for event viewer), sub folder Windows Logs, sub section System may show an error log of the issue to help find the culprit.

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

13 hours ago, Cyracus said:

Reminds me of windows sleep bugs. The couple times I dealt with tracing the problem to its source it looked like a OS corruption. The fix I found for it was a clean install. Checking Event Viewer (right click the windows logo bottom left, look for event viewer), sub folder Windows Logs, sub section System may show an error log of the issue to help find the culprit.

I checked that and everything seems fine (https://i.imgur.com/bmk8Eeh.png), a bunch of information logs and the critical error is saved when I press the reset button. 

However, I see some consistency when it comes to these information logs right before it happens, especially this three: https://i.imgur.com/7NiMMPJ.png

They all just say "File system filter "name" (numbers) was correctly loaded and registered on the filter manager" (translated from Spanish, sorry).

I only recognize the FACEIT one which is a client related to Counter-Strike, I just deleted that program just in case it helps. 

I checked four times it has happened and these three are always there, I'm going to pay more attention from now on as I don't know the exact second when it happened on previous times, but it literally just happened again and it was for sure at the time these three logs were saved.

14 hours ago, Turtle Rig said:

That is a weird issue. Did you upgrade your video drivers from the time it was fine to the time things got faked up ?  If so then I recommend you run DDU "Display Driver Uninstaller" in safe mode.  Clean and Restart option and it will reboot you back into normal mode and now install the latest WHQL graphics.  This is not a hardware flaw, more of a software tangle and what not.

I don't recall installing new drivers, but now that you mentioned it and I went to check it, Geforce Experience failed to load at first and it started to update itself (not the drivers, but maybe it's related). I see there are new drivers available now so I'm going to go ahead and try these first. If it doesn't change anything and try completely reinstalling them. 

Glad to hear you don't think it's hardware related haha, I agree with that, the card is working correctly and has less than a year and a half of use. I'm planning on changing it very soon anyway, but I'd still love to fix the issue before doing so in case the video card is not the problem so I don't continue experiencing it or I don't sell a faulty card to someone else.

5 minutes ago, martin1592 said:

I checked that and everything seems fine (https://i.imgur.com/bmk8Eeh.png), a bunch of information logs and the critical error is saved when I press the reset button. 

However, I see some consistency when it comes to these information logs right before it happens, especially this three: https://i.imgur.com/7NiMMPJ.png

They all just say "File system filter "name" (numbers) was correctly loaded and registered on the filter manager" (translated from Spanish, sorry).

I only recognize the FACEIT one which is a client related to Counter-Strike, I just deleted that program just in case it helps. 

I checked four times it has happened and these three are always there, I'm going to pay more attention from now on as I don't know the exact second when it happened on previous times, but it literally just happened again and it was for sure at the time these three logs were saved.

I don't recall installing new drivers, but now that you mentioned it and I went to check it, Geforce Experience failed to load at first and it started to update itself (not the drivers, but maybe it's related). I see there are new drivers available now so I'm going to go ahead and try these first. If it doesn't change anything and try completely reinstalling them. 

Glad to hear you don't think it's hardware related haha, I agree with that, the card is working correctly and has less than a year and a half of use. I'm planning on changing it very soon anyway, but I'd still love to fix the issue before doing so in case the video card is not the problem so I don't continue experiencing it or I don't sell a faulty card to someone else.

GeForce Experience is buggy as heck.  I wouldn't bother with it.  Just install the drivers.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

5 hours ago, Turtle Rig said:

GeForce Experience is buggy as heck.  I wouldn't bother with it.  Just install the drivers.

Sadly it happened again :( Both after installing the latest drivers and after completely uninstalling them with DDU and installing them again.

Same logs show up right at the time it happens, but the FACEIT one is now gone since I uninstalled that program, I'm starting to think the problem is there somewhere.

24 minutes ago, martin1592 said:

Sadly it happened again :( Both after installing the latest drivers and after completely uninstalling them with DDU and installing them again.

Same logs show up right at the time it happens, but the FACEIT one is now gone since I uninstalled that program, I'm starting to think the problem is there somewhere.

Last resort is to do a Windows Reset which will not delete any of your files but will give you a fresh windows.  You will need to install drivers and apps and games all over again.

I'm not sure if it was software or hardware, but the problem seems to be gone (hasn't happened in 3 days) after I upgraded to a 2080Ti.

It might have been the old card, or something related to the drivers, that we'll never know I guess :( It was an interesting problem for sure, would've loved to fix it without "cheating" with an upgrade haha

Thanks everyone for the replies!