Roach (Mouse Replacement)

SoylentSoy

So about 20 years ago, I remember my father's Power Company implementing laptop computers into the line trucks.  Part of this initiative was to try and reduce the complexity of dealing with a laptop while (not) driving.  I remember one of the accessories the company used was something called a "Roach."  I don't know if this was a nickname that the company gave the device or not, but I've been looking for something like this for a few years now, and I can't find it.  Let me describe the device:

The device was a mouse that was designed to fit around the user's index finger.  The best way to describe the device was a plastic ring.  On the top was a roller ball that would be used by your thumb.  Under the tiny roller ball was two buttons for left and right click.  The "ring" of the device had a trigger that you could also use for a left click.  (Presumably this was so you could click and then drag with the roller ball, as it would be impossible to click and hold the buttons while using the roller ball.)  

I absolutely HATE having to switch between the keyboard and mouse, and I use as many keyboard shortcuts as possible, but it's not full proof.  I was wondering if anyone knew of a modern version of one of these, or what it might be called.  (Or if there even IS a modern version of this.)  Presumably one today could be connected to the computer wirelessly.  I liked this idea because I could do some typing while keeping the "ring" on my finger, only moving my thumb to use the roller ball.  Any insight into this would be great!  Thanks guys.

7 minutes ago, SoylentSoy said:

So about 20 years ago, I remember my father's Power Company implementing laptop computers into the line trucks.  Part of this initiative was to try and reduce the complexity of dealing with a laptop while (not) driving.  I remember one of the accessories the company used was something called a "Roach."  I don't know if this was a nickname that the company gave the device or not, but I've been looking for something like this for a few years now, and I can't find it.  Let me describe the device:

The device was a mouse that was designed to fit around the user's index finger.  The best way to describe the device was a plastic ring.  On the top was a roller ball that would be used by your thumb.  Under the tiny roller ball was two buttons for left and right click.  The "ring" of the device had a trigger that you could also use for a left click.  (Presumably this was so you could click and then drag with the roller ball, as it would be impossible to click and hold the buttons while using the roller ball.)  

I absolutely HATE having to switch between the keyboard and mouse, and I use as many keyboard shortcuts as possible, but it's not full proof.  I was wondering if anyone knew of a modern version of one of these, or what it might be called.  (Or if there even IS a modern version of this.)  Presumably one today could be connected to the computer wirelessly.  I liked this idea because I could do some typing while keeping the "ring" on my finger, only moving my thumb to use the roller ball.  Any insight into this would be great!  Thanks guys.

I'm not sure if this would suit you. Remember that some programs let you re-map buttons.

2 hours ago, averagebilly said:

Watching that video is literally what made me think of this!  Thanks for trying though.  

4 hours ago, SoylentSoy said:

What about this? https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Handheld-Finger-Trackball-Pointer/dp/B0057KL2AU 

I know it's not the same as what you were describing, but it has a lot of the same features.