Thoughts On Rift (Spoilers WAIT FOR NEXT GEN HMD)

blue2kid3

Hello, 
I just wanted to give everyone my thoughts on the Oculus Rift 

I have owned the rift for about a month now and would have never put it down if not for the following reasons. 

The design of the rift tracking is some of the laziest and worst implementation I have ever seen. 

Problem one. USB ALL DAY! What do I mean well let me explain my Ryzen 7 2700x AM4 board has 8x USB 3.0 4x USB 3.1, 2x USB C, and 2x USB 2.0 I know what you're thinking. That is clearly more than enough ports for your Mouse, keyboard, mic. and VR. Yes you're 100% correct it is enough ports but here is something I had no clue was important USB bandwidth!!! With the two sensors in USB 3.0 and the Rift in another USB 3.1 I had no issues once I added a third sensor it was game over! The ONLY WAY I was able to get the rift with the 3rd sensor to work was to unplug my keyboard, mic and my RGB light controller ( this uses USB 2.0 off mobo ) 

Then we move on to problem two THE COST! as of writing this the VIVE is a wallet crushing $500 USD before tax and the Rift is more "reasonable" $350 USD before tax however include the 3rd sensor then find out you would really need a 4th sensor to get acceptable tracking while facing away from the front sensors and you're pushing $470 USD before tax. I hear you " that is still $30 cheaper. But wait there is more! Remember how I mentioned USB bandwith well lets say you cant get a 3rd sensor to work even after you unplug all USB devices on your pc you now need a PCIE usb card this will at min run you $40 to add just 3x more USB2.0 and I am not even done! The cable on the rift headset is soooooo short that even in my bedroom just infront of my desk I need an HDMI AND an active USB 3.0 extension cable or I have found that if I walk to my back wall it tugs the back of my PC. If my room was any larger my PC would be pulled off my desk. 

I do however want to thank Valve, devs and everyone else involved with SteamVR the rift is getting returned for a full refund but thanks to the ability to play steam VR games on the Rift I have found that VR is the most exciting jump in gaming that I actually play games not for the story or because its an online game with friends but because its a joy and truly inspiring! 

Please PLEASE Gabe let me pre-order the leaked Valve HMD and the knuckles because VR truly is here to stay and I love it.

Just don't fall for the Rifts lower upfront cost because the cost to own is far more than the VIVE with some of the worst tracking even worse than the PS4 light tracking at times.