Bracket to adapt half to full height or some hacky other way to do it?

Bitter

I bought a PCI-e card in half height accidentally, I don't wish to wait for one with a full height bracket to come on the slow boat yet again. I've tried the available spare brackets and parts I have here, none work correctly due to differences in holes, spacing, etc. I'm not averse to cutting and hacking since this doesn't need to look pretty it just needs to work but I would appreciate the card grounding to the chassis well enough to help mitigate someone accidentally giving it the static laden finger. Open to ideas better than my current idea which involves using a cutoff disc and jbweld or real welding.

Edit: Card is a mini PCI-e to PCI-e for a WIFI/BT card, so there's some antenna off the back of it meaning it does need to be solid to the chassis to prevent damage to the card or motherboard.

22 minutes ago, Bitter said:

I bought a PCI-e card in half height accidentally, I don't wish to wait for one with a full height bracket to come on the slow boat yet again. I've tried the available spare brackets and parts I have here, none work correctly due to differences in holes, spacing, etc. I'm not averse to cutting and hacking since this doesn't need to look pretty it just needs to work but I would appreciate the card grounding to the chassis well enough to help mitigate someone accidentally giving it the static laden finger. Open to ideas better than my current idea which involves using a cutoff disc and jbweld or real welding.

What kind of card?

I've had this issue before, I just run it sans bracket, never had an issue.

You could run a zip-tie through the screw holes to anchor it to the chassis

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

mini PCI-e to PCI-e for a wifi/bt card, so there's antenna hanging off the back of it so card support is needed. I guess that was kind of important information I should have included. I'll go edit it in.

21 minutes ago, Evanair said:

Pics might help

I'll get some tomorrow, thanks for the reply. It's a standard half height bracket like for a small form factor case and I need to install it in a regular size case. I'm trying to replace a USB dongle sticking out of a computer case in a shop environment that's going to be prone to being broken off at some point with an internal card that has antenna on the back of the PC which are more protected and less likely to be broken off or if they do get damaged are cheaper to replace and less likely to also break the card where as the USB dongle getting hit will surely break the port.

I bent the metal and it fit fine, the bend not being perfect made sure the card could not just fall out due to friction.

20190310_050526.thumb.jpg.e4b1d7b1b7cde59d27a6961ae0057529.jpg

Stinkpci5 3550. DDR3 1600mhz 8GB. Gigabyte GA-H61N-USB3.0. Sapphire RX 570 Nitro 4GB oc. Noctua NH-L12. WD Black 600GB. Silverstone PSU 1KW. Advent 1440x900 75hz VGA monitor 1ms. Acer Veriton M464 chassis.

Self help guide.

5 minutes ago, BetterThanLife said:

I bent the metal and it fit fine, the bend not being perfect made sure the card could not just fall out due to friction.

That's actually brilliant. I could bend that top tab flat and bolt it to another part of a bracket cut short and end up with a nice solid mount that would bolt in and locate it all correctly. I think we've got a solution! I'll work on it tomorrow and post some photos.

On 3/9/2019 at 11:06 PM, BetterThanLife said:

It's not perfect, I could have done it a little better, but it fits in the case. I'll bring the card in tomorrow and install it. Thanks again for the idea!

IMG_20190314_132514.jpg

IMG_20190314_132507.jpg

I'm a bonehead, I just realized the tab is facing the wrong way. I aligned the screw slots to point the same direction but that was incorrect. Wow. Nothing I can't easily fix by bending the tab to face the correct direction though!