Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tummy

chances of recovering a water damaged device

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hello everyone,

My sister needs a new laptop, I'm really liking my "new" macbook pro from 2012 and my sis also likes it and wants a macbook. They are rather expencive (at least for us) but I see a lot of water-damaged devices on the second hand market and I'm asking myself what's the true chance of recovering a water-damaged device. I heard the man of a employee bought a almost brand new laptop with liquid-damage and recoverd it succesfully. Like it's super easy and 100% guarante to work.

I always thought the chances were near zero and i have always rejected them instanly but what do you guys think? Is there a resonable change it will work? I know it depends on the severity and what the owner did after his device got wet. But can I assume it just works again when everything is very dry? My biggest fear is that the internals got shorted and are permanantly damaged, but i seem te be almost the only one that assumes this is the case when I see a water-damaged device.

I would like your opinion on this matter.

Kind reguards, Tummy00

2 minutes ago, Tummy said:

Hello everyone,

My sister needs a new laptop, I'm really liking my "new" macbook pro from 2012 and my sis also likes it and wants a macbook. They are rather expencive (at least for us) but I see a lot of water-damaged devices on the second hand market and I'm asking myself what's the true chance of recovering a water-damaged device. I heard the man of a employee bought a almost brand new laptop with liquid-damage and recoverd it succesfully. Like it's super easy and 100% guarante to work.

I always thought the chances were near zero and i have always rejected them instanly but what do you guys think? Is there a resonable change it will work? I know it depends on the severity and what the owner did after his device got wet. But can I assume it just works again when everything is very dry? My biggest fear is that the internals got shorted and are permanantly damaged, but i seem te be almost the only one that assumes this is the case when I see a water-damaged device.

I would like your opinion on this matter.

Kind reguards, Tummy00

Unless your name is Louis Rossmann, I would not recommend wasting money on a water damaged device. Whenever I am asked to fix a piece of electronics equipment, I always disclose to the client that they should assume the device is 0% working (aka completely broken, never to work again) when they give it to me because of the microscopic nature of electronics these days. If I can fix it, then great, but otherwise in almost all cases water damage results in replacement of motherboards or component / board level soldering, neither of which I do for my clients.

Desktop: i7-4790k Build - ALMOST COMPLETE Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Bell Unlimited National Calling & Texting + 10GB Data
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: HP Touchpad (Android) | ASUS ME302C
Camera: Canon SX280 + Rebel T1i (500D) | Sony HDR-AS50R | Panasonic DMC-TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

4 minutes ago, HypedKid said:

But why apple? Just buy better product for less

Apple makes good products, they're just a bit expensive.

Also, your statement isn't helping the OP since he/she was asking if it's worth buying a water-damaged device, and not whether or not Apple makes good products.

Primary Desktop PC: Intel® Xeon® X5675 @ 4.62 GHz 1.4V || NZXT HAVIK 140 & Noctua NA-SRC10 || ASUS P6X58-E WS || Crucial DDR3-1606 8-11-11-28 (2x4GB) || ASUS STRIX GTX 770 || Samsung 860 EVO 1TB 2.5" SSD || WD Green 1TB 3.5" HDD (7.2K RPM) || Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) || Corsair AX860i & White CableMod ModFlex™ Cables || Logitech G710+ (Cherry MX Browns) || Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum || Logitech G27 Racing Wheel || Samsung 23.6" 1080p 60Hz PLS (OC'd to 75Hz) || CPU-Z Validation

7 minutes ago, HypedKid said:

But why apple? Just buy better product for less

Because OP and his sister like their Macs?

What problem is there if they like 'em?

Volume / Normalized 100% / 89% (content loudness 1.0dB)

Yes, I'm gay and don't give a shit about pride. My sexuality isn't my personality; my VHS tapes and my video captures are.

20 minutes ago, Tummy said:

But can I assume it just works again when everything is very dry?

No, the main problem is that a liquid spilled on a circuit board that has a voltage applied to it immediately causes an electrolysis effect that causes near instant corrosion, we're literally talking seconds here to do irreversible damage. If a board that's completely powered down were to get wet and dried quickly there'd be no problem, but in the age of laptops with built-in non-removable batteries boards always have voltages present.

A small enough spill on a non-critical location is probably recoverable but then again such a spill would not cause the device to (completely) fail in the first place.

You have a chance if you know what you're doing with a soldering iron, hot air rework, and the circuit diagrams, but if a laptop is being sold with liquid damage it's probably already gone. The original owner probably already tried to fix it, but couldn't or was told that it was dead. 

I used to have guides here

CPU: 4670k 4.4ghz GPU: GTX 970 G.1 1534mhz

If you don't know what a qfn or bga package is or how to reflow one, chances are you wont be able to repair a damaged part on the computer.

Case: Fractal Designs Arc Midi R2  cpu: Intel core i5 4670k at 4.6ghz Motherboard: msi z87-gd65 gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Seasonic x650 gold Memory: 16gb Corsair vengeance pro 1600mhz ssd: Samsung 840 120gb Hard drive: Western digital wd black 500gb  Build-log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/37554-starting-my-first-full-blown-build/                                                                                                 "on the Internet. You can find almost anything on the Internet..." -Linus                                                                                                                                                                              i haz pc