chances of recovering a water damaged device

Tummy

Hello everyone,

My sister needs a new laptop, I'm really liking my "new" macbook pro from 2012 and my sis also likes it and wants a macbook. They are rather expencive (at least for us) but I see a lot of water-damaged devices on the second hand market and I'm asking myself what's the true chance of recovering a water-damaged device. I heard the man of a employee bought a almost brand new laptop with liquid-damage and recoverd it succesfully. Like it's super easy and 100% guarante to work.

I always thought the chances were near zero and i have always rejected them instanly but what do you guys think? Is there a resonable change it will work? I know it depends on the severity and what the owner did after his device got wet. But can I assume it just works again when everything is very dry? My biggest fear is that the internals got shorted and are permanantly damaged, but i seem te be almost the only one that assumes this is the case when I see a water-damaged device.

I would like your opinion on this matter.

Kind reguards, Tummy00

2 minutes ago, Tummy said:

Hello everyone,

My sister needs a new laptop, I'm really liking my "new" macbook pro from 2012 and my sis also likes it and wants a macbook. They are rather expencive (at least for us) but I see a lot of water-damaged devices on the second hand market and I'm asking myself what's the true chance of recovering a water-damaged device. I heard the man of a employee bought a almost brand new laptop with liquid-damage and recoverd it succesfully. Like it's super easy and 100% guarante to work.

I always thought the chances were near zero and i have always rejected them instanly but what do you guys think? Is there a resonable change it will work? I know it depends on the severity and what the owner did after his device got wet. But can I assume it just works again when everything is very dry? My biggest fear is that the internals got shorted and are permanantly damaged, but i seem te be almost the only one that assumes this is the case when I see a water-damaged device.

I would like your opinion on this matter.

Kind reguards, Tummy00

Unless your name is Louis Rossmann, I would not recommend wasting money on a water damaged device. Whenever I am asked to fix a piece of electronics equipment, I always disclose to the client that they should assume the device is 0% working (aka completely broken, never to work again) when they give it to me because of the microscopic nature of electronics these days. If I can fix it, then great, but otherwise in almost all cases water damage results in replacement of motherboards or component / board level soldering, neither of which I do for my clients.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Just now, HypedKid said:

But why apple? Just buy better (not apple) product for less

4 minutes ago, HypedKid said:

But why apple? Just buy better product for less

Apple makes good products, they're just a bit expensive.

Also, your statement isn't helping the OP since he/she was asking if it's worth buying a water-damaged device, and not whether or not Apple makes good products.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

20 minutes ago, Tummy said:

But can I assume it just works again when everything is very dry?

No, the main problem is that a liquid spilled on a circuit board that has a voltage applied to it immediately causes an electrolysis effect that causes near instant corrosion, we're literally talking seconds here to do irreversible damage. If a board that's completely powered down were to get wet and dried quickly there'd be no problem, but in the age of laptops with built-in non-removable batteries boards always have voltages present.

A small enough spill on a non-critical location is probably recoverable but then again such a spill would not cause the device to (completely) fail in the first place.

You have a chance if you know what you're doing with a soldering iron, hot air rework, and the circuit diagrams, but if a laptop is being sold with liquid damage it's probably already gone. The original owner probably already tried to fix it, but couldn't or was told that it was dead. 

ASU

If you don't know what a qfn or bga package is or how to reflow one, chances are you wont be able to repair a damaged part on the computer.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz