Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GamerForFun

9700k or 9900k?

Posted · Original PosterOP

I'm finally thinking about upgrading my old 6600k since its started to become a bottleneck after I got my 1070ti. I've been thinking about it a lot but i don't know if it's worth spending 125$ more to get an 9900k or save the money and just get a 9700k. I mainly only game but I'm a big fan of multitasking so I have two 1080p benq screens and one 34" 3440x1440 ultrawide.

Your 6600k is still good. Save your money for now and grab Zen 2. If you have any chance to wait, that is the smart way to go about it. 

Your 6600k isn't a significant bottleneck to a 1070ti, especially at 3440x1440 (assuming this is your primary for gaming) in the vast majority of games. You're looking at very marginal gains in most situations.

I'd say it's not worth spending on either of them.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~

CPU:  Intel  i7-4790k | RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: MSI Z97-G45 | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Crucial MX200 (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

6 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Your 6600k is still good. Save your money for now and grab Zen 2. If you have any chance to wait, that is the smart way to go about it. 

I've had very bad experiences with amd so I'm staying far away from their stuff. But I've noticed that for example when I play far cry 5 I drop a lot of frames but my gpu is only on maybe 60-70% use while my cpu is locked at 100% on all four cores. I don't have any experience in overclocking so my 6600k is running stock speeds 

11 minutes ago, GamerForFun said:

I've had very bad experiences with amd so I'm staying far away from their stuff. But I've noticed that for example when I play far cry 5 I drop a lot of frames but my gpu is only on maybe 60-70% use while my cpu is locked at 100% on all four cores. I don't have any experience in overclocking so my 6600k is running stock speeds 

If you are going to run at stock I would suggest an i5 9400. It should run at higher stock speeds then what you have, give you a few extra cores, and save you some hard earned cash. You would only buy those top teir chips for high FPS gaming and if you were planning to overclock where your graphics card was so powerful and spitting frames so fast that the cpu would actually become the bottleneck. Given your situation and your gpu an i5 would be perfect, would not bottleneck you in any way, and most importantly save you a lot of money. It would also allow you to get a cheaper mobo since you don’t need a z series board to overclock. Your current i5 is only a bottleneck now due to the slower clock speeds of the sky lake generation, where really any cofeelake or newer cpu should suit your purpose in that department even out of the box.

If you are planning on overclocking in the future tho to do some experimentation, the 9600k would be a good bet and would be perfect for your situation as well. Those top teir i7s are mostly overkill for anything below a 2080 or 2080ti. 

Hope this helps and happy gaming :) 

18 minutes ago, GamerForFun said:

I've had very bad experiences with amd so I'm staying far away from their stuff.

Would still wait for Zen 2 regardless of preferences. 14nm shortage is driving prices up and AMD's CPU track record over the past 2 years have been more reliable than ever.

Upgrading to a 9000 series CPU atm is a bad choice. 

Waiting for Zen 2 is the way to go. 

16 minutes ago, Maximusfoximus said:

If you are going to run at stock I would suggest an i5 9400

Wouldnt recommend that over excisting r5 2600 or the obvious choice of waiting for Zen 2. Neither the 9400F or the r5 2600 are worth it over the 6600k.

What he should be doing in his current situation is wait for Zen 2. 

56 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Wouldnt recommend that over excisting r5 2600 or the obvious choice of waiting for Zen 2. Neither the 9400F or the r5 2600 are worth it over the 6600k.

What he should be doing in his current situation is wait for Zen 2. 

No matter what specs the Zen 2 has I won't change anything, I don't have any trust in amd. When used to have amd GPUs my system used to break every 6-7 months, but after I switched to Nvidia I haven't had a breakdown in one and a half year since I got it. So I won't get and amd cpu

16 minutes ago, GamerForFun said:

No matter what specs the Zen 2 has I won't change anything, I don't have any trust in amd. When used to have amd GPUs my system used to break every 6-7 months, but after I switched to Nvidia I haven't had a breakdown in one and a half year since I got it. So I won't get and amd cpu

I agree with @GoldenLag, I would wait for Zen 2. Your cpu is still competent in most scenarios in most games and should at least hold you over until then. Even if you decide not to go with amd, it would be best to wait until then regardless as Intel is sure to have better processors released not too long afterwards with improvements in ipc. Even if that ends up not being the case they would surely have to lower prices due to increased competition. It would honestly be silly to buy anything right now given your current specs. I know you said you were running stock, even a modest overclock of ~4.5GHz or so would do wonders for increased frame stability. I would really try that first before swapping parts out immediately. 

Main PC :

CPU = R9 3900X / Motherboard = Asus Crosshair 8 Hero / GPU = EVGA SC Ultra RTX 2060 / RAM = Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 ( 16GB ) / Cooling = Wraith Prism / Hard Drives = Western Digital Caviar Blue ( X3 ) / PSU = Seasonic X-850 Modular / Case = Corsair Carbide 200R

Wireless = Asus PCE-AC56 / Keyboard & Mouse = Corsair Strafe Mechanical, Logitech G203 / Headphones = Hyperx Cloud Alpha /

1 hour ago, GamerForFun said:

Damn, that is some bad luck.

Good thing AMD CPU and GPU division is very seperate, like by a lot.

And AMD has a fantastic trackrecord with their new line of CPUs. While i can understand why you distrust them. Its not ebtierly warranted when they have had 2 years of fantastic CPUs and good GPUs.

4 hours ago, GamerForFun said:

I'm finally thinking about upgrading my old 6600k since its started to become a bottleneck after I got my 1070ti. I've been thinking about it a lot but i don't know if it's worth spending 125$ more to get an 9900k or save the money and just get a 9700k. I mainly only game but I'm a big fan of multitasking so I have two 1080p benq screens and one 34" 3440x1440 ultrawide.

What monitor are you playing the games on?

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", HYPERX Alloy Elite KB, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Seasonic Prime Titanium Ultra 750W. 

NEW PSU Tier List      MB Tier List

5 hours ago, GamerForFun said:

if you have to buy one, it's the 9900k, cause the 9700k is gonna be in the trash can once zen 2 comes out in 3 months, 9900k can maybe keep up, but still i recommend just waiting for zen 2.

9900k 1.39v 5.2 83C 185w 1.24v 4.9 60C 135w 1.05v 4.5 90w 50C (doing some testing for hot days) all-2avx cinebench/blender temps. avx voltages in prime. ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios fixed LLC voltage gaps ll gskill 2x8gb cl16 ddr4000 bdie 1.42v ll 4x samsung 970 evo 256gb (asus hyper pcie m2 raid card) ll 2x samsung 860 evo 500gb raid 0 (<--i should've went with 1tb nvmemistake of the build) ll EVGA 2080 ti XC (duo fan skinny) 1995//7600 power limited 79C max, stock voltage (really bad ocer) ll Corsair graphite 780T ll EVGA G2 1300w ll Windows 10 Pro ll NEC PA272w (movie, work mon) 2k60 14bit lut ll Predator X27 4k144 hdr (rgb98)

23 minutes ago, GamerForFun said:

3440x1440

Most of your issue is the 1070Ti isn't enough card for that resolution in the 1st place.

That's the reason why your CPU usage is higher.

You really need a GTX 1080Ti or RTX 2080.

Doesn't matter what CPU you get if the graphics card isn't powerful enough for the resolution you are playing at.

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", HYPERX Alloy Elite KB, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Seasonic Prime Titanium Ultra 750W. 

NEW PSU Tier List      MB Tier List

7 hours ago, GamerForFun said:

1) I wouldn't just upgrade your CPU/mb as the 9700k or 9900k would end up severely bottlenecked by a 1070 Ti driving just the 3440 x 1440 screen in games, let alone with two 1080p screens added on.

2) the gaming performance difference between a 9700k and 9900k is very minimal, but the 9900k will pull ahead big time in certain multi-threaded workloads so you need to decide for yourself if paying $125 more upfront is worth it to you. I can't tell you how you feel about it ;)

3) As always, unless you feel like you need more power - might as well just stick with what you have if it's providing satisfactory performance.

HEDT: i9 7960x @ 5.0 gHz, 64GB @ 3200mHz G.Skill Trident-Z CL14 DDR4, 2x Nvidia Titan RTX NVLink SLI, Corsair AX1600i, Samsung 960 Pro 2TB OS/apps, Samsung 850 EVO 4TB media, Asus PG348Q monitor, Razer Huntsman Elite keyboard, Razer Mamba Elite mouse

Mainstream desktop: i9 9900k @ 5.3 gHz, 32GB @ 3200mHz G.Skill Trident-Z CL14 DDR4, Nvidia Titan RTX, Corsair HX1000i, Samsung 960 Pro 1TB, Asus PG279QZ monitor, Asus ROG Claymore keyboard, Speedlink Omnivi Core mouse
Laptop: Razer Blade early 2017 7700hq model, swapped in Samsung 960 Pro 1TB, Intel 8265 Wifi, repasted with Grizzly Kryonaut, thermal pad swap to Fujipoly Extreme XR-m pads