My TP-Link range extender doesn't detect my 5.8Ghz WI-FI

Pukin

Hello, as the title says, my TP-Link RE 200 doesn't detect my 5.8Ghz network.

Weird thing is: i can connect my phone to my 5.8Ghz network while being next to the repeater.

Any help?

5.8ghz? wut?

only 2.4, 5, and 60 are standard network frequencies. 

2 minutes ago, Saksham said:

5.8ghz? wut?

Yes... It's 5.8Ghz..

1 minute ago, Pukin said:

Yes... It's 5.8Ghz..

i dont think that exists. 

4 minutes ago, Saksham said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels

image.png.e624a6a9633580eff5637b9d9c688dd3.png

5.8 does *NOT* exist. never heard of it either. please check your router again. 

My WIFI router displays AS DEFAULT Wifi5.8Ghz... i'm not making this up

2.4 GHz vs 5 GHz WiFi

What is the difference between 2.4 GHz and 5.8 GHz WiFi? Today, we will be discussing the differences between the two wireless frequencies and when to use them.

When someone refers to a device as being dual-band, the term indicates that the device has the capability of broadcasting both a 2.4 GHz and 5.8 GHz frequency. The 2.4 GHz radio runs on a lower frequency between 450 Mbps or 600 Mbps. The 5.8 GHz radio can support up to 1300 Mbps. That’s a pretty big difference in wireless speed.

Most devices in your home, including cordless telephones, Bluetooth devices, garage door openers and even baby monitors, run on the 2.4 GHz frequency. The 5.8 GHz frequency, which is a newer standard, is not commonly used in these devices so, dual-band routers are less likely to see interference, from common household devices and access points, on the 5.8 GHz frequency. When multiple devices or access points attempt to use the same radio space, overcrowding occurs. The 5.8 GHz band tends to be less crowded than the 2.4 GHz band because fewer devices use it and because it has 23 channels for devices to use, while the 2.4 GHz band has only 11 channels available. The number of channels that are available to you depends on the regulatory domain for your location.

Here are a few facts about each frequency:

2.4 GHz

• Majority of devices use 2.4 GHz
  • Has the greatest distance
  • Can be crowded because of so many users (may affect speed)
  • May get interference from other devices running on the same band (i.e. microwaves, cordless phones etc.)

5.8 GHz

• Smaller area of coverage, but usually better speed
  • Many devices do not have 5.8 GHz available
  • Best way to achieve optimum WiFi performance
  • Less range may require more access points for large areas
  • Can cause connection issues if all devices are not running on 5.8 GHz
  • Preferred for gaming and file streaming because of speed

Here are a few more facts regarding dual-band devices:

802.11g = the device will only operate on 2.4 GHz

802.11n = the device will always operate on 2.4 GHz and some may operate on 5.8 GHz

802.11ac = the device will only operate on 5.8 GHz802.11n is currently used in most devices. Newer devices that use 802.11ac typically offer the option to use 802.11n as well.

11 hours ago, Saksham said:

5.8ghz? wut?

5.8GHz is equal to channel 161 and 165. It's part of the 5GHz band though.

OP, I suspect you need to change the channel on your router and that the repeater doesn't support that channel for some reason.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

8 hours ago, Lurick said:

OP, I suspect you need to change the channel on your router and that the repeater doesn't support that channel for some reason.

that makes SO MUCH more sense now..... thanks.

OP needs to be more clear with this. this is clasified as a 5ghz network but it is actually 5.8ghz in the center frequency. 

@Pukin what channel are you on? try change it.

@Pukin I think @Lurick is on to something. I recall that some of the 5Ghz spectrum did not become available until later, because its shared with other things like weather radar and such. So there is a chance of a device not supporting all of the spectrum available. Id try a lower channel and see what happens. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

On 3/9/2019 at 11:26 AM, Lurick said:

I'll try that!

On 3/9/2019 at 8:24 PM, Saksham said:

that makes SO MUCH more sense now..... thanks.

OP needs to be more clear with this. this is clasified as a 5ghz network but it is actually 5.8ghz in the center frequency. 

@Pukin what channel are you on? try change it.

I didn't do it in purpose, I didn't know about wireless technology, I just know what my router and RE displayed.

Sorry I guess.

On 3/9/2019 at 8:40 PM, Donut417 said:

@Pukin I think @Lurick is on to something. I recall that some of the 5Ghz spectrum did not become available until later, because its shared with other things like weather radar and such. So there is a chance of a device not supporting all of the spectrum available. Id try a lower channel and see what happens. 

I'll see tomorrow!

11 hours ago, Pukin said:

I didn't do it in purpose, I didn't know about wireless technology, I just know what my router and RE displayed.

Sorry I guess.

you're fine,  im honestly not sure how anybody was confused.  5.8GHz is pretty standard nowadays.

check your channel and let us know

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

6 hours ago, Tsuki said:

you're fine,  im honestly not sure how anybody was confused.  5.8GHz is pretty standard nowadays.

check your channel and let us know

I'm having trouble with changing channels:

My RE200 is working in channel 40.

My Technicolor router in channel 52.

The range extender doesn't have the option for changing the channel and my router can't go lower  than 52!

any help?

20 hours ago, Pukin said:

Sorry I guess.

no problem. its just that sometimes it can be confusing to diagnose. if you are new to this stuff, then welcome to LTT forums. 

does your repeater have the wps button to pair?