Terminology needed... and maybe wifi assistance

GuruOfNothing

This may be the dumbest thing I have ever asked but why not...

Up until recently, on my network, I have had a couple wireless routers in place for wifi access in different areas of my property. To do so, I just took consumer grade  gear... think Linksys home router with wifi... and connected the LAN cable into one of the LAN router ports. I didn't connect anything to the WAN port so bypassed all of the DHCP and firewalling guts. Everything I have connected gets its DHCP assignment from the gateway on the network through the LAN connectivity. I recently put a pFSense box in place and added another wifi point just like the other 2 and started having rediculous issues with connectivity, DNS and network speeds. Yeah, I know... too much crap in place and not the right configuration of that crap. Got it! I took the pFSense box back out of the loop and took the other router out as well.

I am thinking that I am having double NAT issues? I don't exactly understand all of that. I know the third router (essentially a switch if the WAN part is out of the picture?) caused issues and that has to be replaced. I assume I need to just dump the 3 wifi routers and install A/P's instead?

1 hour ago, GuruOfNothing said:

This may be the dumbest thing I have ever asked but why not...

Up until recently, on my network, I have had a couple wireless routers in place for wifi access in different areas of my property. To do so, I just took consumer grade  gear... think Linksys home router with wifi... and connected the LAN cable into one of the LAN router ports. I didn't connect anything to the WAN port so bypassed all of the DHCP and firewalling guts. Everything I have connected gets its DHCP assignment from the gateway on the network through the LAN connectivity. I recently put a pFSense box in place and added another wifi point just like the other 2 and started having rediculous issues with connectivity, DNS and network speeds. Yeah, I know... too much crap in place and not the right configuration of that crap. Got it! I took the pFSense box back out of the loop and took the other router out as well.

I am thinking that I am having double NAT issues? I don't exactly understand all of that. I know the third router (essentially a switch if the WAN part is out of the picture?) caused issues and that has to be replaced. I assume I need to just dump the 3 wifi routers and install A/P's instead?

While you dont have to disable the firewall or NAT if your not using the WAN port, regardless the DHCP server will still hand out addresses. So verify that its off on all the routers besides your main one. Another thing I would also do is set static IP's for those routers your using as Access points. BUT make sure those IP addresses fall outside the DHCP server on your PFsense box. Im not familiar with configuring things in PFsense but I wont imagine that you should be able to set where the DHCP server starts. For example if it starts at 192.168.1.100, and your PFsense box IP address is 192.168.1.1, then any address between 192.168.1.2-192.168.1.99 should fall outside the DHCP server. Doing this just makes it easier if you need to reconfigure those AP's at any time. 

Also double NAT generally should not affect Web Browsing. It generally fucks with things like games and stuff because you might have to port forward if your trying to host and such. ALSO some routers do come with an AP mode, Id see if those ones you have do, other wise the setup you have is technically good. The only real benefit to buying new AP's would be roaming. I know that roaming between AP's its a pain in the dick for some devices, especially if the AP's/Routers are different brands and models, but even then Ive heard that roaming is still a pain. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Well, not one of the routers are the same brand even so it's probably worth just dumping them and buying something newer and all 3 the same. I am talking just specifically "Access Points" though, correct? Since they don't have to do anything more than create wireless access at different locations? I know that 1 of them has A/P mode, the other 2 don't want to work well with others as they are designed as single device options. Now that I think of it, the DHCP thing on the third router may be what was jacking me up.... I couldn't get into the settings to actually turn that off. That was probably what was doing me dirty! I just disconnected the pFSense box at the same time because they both went into service within 24 hours of each other and I couldn't tell what was creating the issue.And I was tired. And bitchy. And not wanting to play anymore.

So I guess I will put the firewall box back in service, make sure that is doing fine and then replace the router POS's and get matching A/P's. The firewall box does the DHCP and everything else will just play along. I statically assign EVERYTHING on the network for simplicity and use DHCP only for outside devices connecting through WiFi.

14 minutes ago, GuruOfNothing said:

pecifically "Access Points" though, correct

YES. Look at Ubiquti, they have some nice gear and to my understanding is pretty affordable. On top of that, they came up with their own way for roaming, though I think it requires a cloud key or the cloud key software running on the network, but it is what it is. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.