Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheBritishVillain

In order to understand the Avenger movies, what films do i NEED to watch and what order?

17 minutes ago, Sauron said:

To understand everything, you need to watch all the marvel studios movies. To understand the main plot, I'd say you need:

The Avengers (you can skip the origin stories and still understand what's going on)
Captain America:  Winter Soldier
Guardians of the galaxy

Avengers: age of Ultron

Captain America: Civil War

Doctor Strange

Thor Ragnarok

Avengers: Infinity War

Of these you can probably skip Doctor Strange if you're willing to take what he says and does in IW at face value, but I recommend watching it - it's a good movie.

Agreed - that's a pretty tight viewing order.

For Sale (lots of stuff):

Spoiler

[FS] [CAD] Various things

* Intel i7-4770K * ASRock Z97 Anniversary * 16GB RAM * 750w Seasonic Modular PSU *

* Crucial M4 128GB SSD (Primary) * Hitachi 500GB HDD (Secondary) *

* Gigabyte HD 7950 WF3 * SATA Blu-Ray Writer * Logitech g710+ * Windows 10 Pro x64 *

I made my boyfriend watch Infinity war as his... 3rd? I think, Marvel film after Thor: Ragnarok and Spiderman: Homecoming. Aside from not understanding who a couple of the characters were he could follow along with the plot just fine

I think in general it'll depend whether or not you value getting all the references and in-jokes (we're talking about a shared universe that is currently in its 11th year, after all) and how much you already know about the characters involved.

In general, the Marvel films do a pretty good job of presenting a self-contained story. That is no small part of why they're as successful as they are. If you're okay with potentially wondering why Spider-man never mentions his mom or why people keep cracking jokes about Captain America being 100 years old, you'll probably enjoy the movies.

That said my (completely biased as a lifelong comic fan) advice would be to at least watch the list Sauron made. Those set up the story leading into Endgame. I haven't gotten around to seeing Captain Marvel yet, but I'll bet that there will be some benefit to seeing it before Endgame even if it only provides an introduction to a character that will likely play a significant part in Endgame and further movies.

32 minutes ago, EldritchMoose said:

I think in general it'll depend whether or not you value getting all the references and in-jokes (we're talking about a shared universe that is currently in its 11th year, after all) and how much you already know about the characters involved.

In general, the Marvel films do a pretty good job of presenting a self-contained story. That is no small part of why they're as successful as they are. If you're okay with potentially wondering why Spider-man never mentions his mom or why people keep cracking jokes about Captain America being 100 years old, you'll probably enjoy the movies.

That said my (completely biased as a lifelong comic fan) advice would be to at least watch the list Sauron made. Those set up the story leading into Endgame. I haven't gotten around to seeing Captain Marvel yet, but I'll bet that there will be some benefit to seeing it before Endgame even if it only provides an introduction to a character that will likely play a significant part in Endgame and further movies.

Having watched Captain Marvel: I doubt it'll be relevant in Endgame outside of telling us about the character. It's a fantastic movie, but sets up about as much as Captain America 1

1 hour ago, Mehmy said:

Having watched Captain Marvel: I doubt it'll be relevant in Endgame outside of telling us about the character. It's a fantastic movie, but sets up about as much as Captain America 1

Agreed - it introduced some interesting potential story arcs for the MCU's Cosmic side of the universe, but I doubt any of those plot lines will be important during Endgame.

It's good to watch simply to know who Captain Marvel is, and to have some idea as to how powerful she is.

Spoiler

* Intel i7-4770K * ASRock Z97 Anniversary * 16GB RAM * 750w Seasonic Modular PSU *

* Gigabyte HD 7950 WF3 * SATA Blu-Ray Writer * Logitech g710+ * Windows 10 Pro x64 *

Posted · Original PosterOP

Is Captain Marvel linked to the Avenger films in any way?

CPU: De-lidded i7 8086K @ OC 5.1 GHz

CPU Fan: NZXT Kraken X62 Liquid Cooler

GPU: RTX 2080 Ti Zotac Gaming AMP Edition

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LED / RGB 32GB (4x8GB) @ 3200MHz

Storage (OS): Samsung 960 Evo 250GB NVMe SSD

Storage (Games): Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD

Storage (Other): Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200RPM HDD

PSU: Corsair HX850i (Platinum)

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z370-F ATX

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Gunmetal

Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG258Q

1 hour ago, TheBritishVillain said:

Is Captain Marvel linked to the Avenger films in any way?

Not strongly. An infinity stone that we already knew the whereabouts in Infinity War pops up. Other then that (which is more of an easter egg, if anything)? No strong story link.

Spoiler

3 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

Meanwhile, Marvel dropped the final trailer for Endgame. 

Did... they just gear up for SPACE?

Spoiler

On 3/14/2019 at 4:33 AM, dalekphalm said:

Not strongly. An infinity stone that we already knew the whereabouts in Infinity War pops up. Other then that (which is more of an easter egg, if anything)? No strong story link.

So I don't have to watch Captain Marvel before the End Game??

9 minutes ago, airENOwevEr778 said:

So I don't have to watch Captain Marvel before the End Game??

Not for any story reasons - only if you want to know more about Captain Marvel, who will probably feature pretty significantly in Endgame.

Spoiler

33 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Not for any story reasons - only if you want to know more about Captain Marvel, who will probably feature pretty significantly in Endgame.

Hmm alright. Sounds fair. Might sit through it and see for myself then. Thanks.

On 3/8/2019 at 8:07 PM, dalekphalm said:

I would suggest the following order:

1. Captain America #1

2. Iron Man (not strictly necessary, but if you haven't seen it, it's still one of the best)

3. Thor (not strictly necessary, but sets up Loki)

4. Avengers 1

5. Thor 2 (not amazing, but sets up one of the Stones)

6. Avengers 2

7. Captain America Civil War

8. Doctor Strange

9. Thor Ragnarok

10. Guardians 1 and 2 (2 isn't actually necessary)

11. Black Panther

12. Avengers 3

You could shorten this list to:

1. Captain America #1

2. Avengers 1

3. Avengers 2

4. Civil War

5. Doctor Strange

6. Thor Ragnarok

7. Guardians 1

8. Black Panther

9. Avengers 3

I'd also recommend Captain Marvel (Saw it last night) - it's a "prequel" (takes place in 1995) but it might be important for Avengers 4 (comes out in about a month or so).

Just watched all phase 1 films and i'm curious why you suggest Captain America first? I understand it is chronological order, but if i hadn't had seen Iron Man first, i wouldn't have known about all the Stark and Nick Fury references shown in Captain America. Would you not say it would be better to watch Iron Man first?

2 hours ago, TheBritishVillain said:

Just watched all phase 1 films and i'm curious why you suggest Captain America first? I understand it is chronological order, but if i hadn't had seen Iron Man first, i wouldn't have known about all the Stark and Nick Fury references shown in Captain America. Would you not say it would be better to watch Iron Man first?

Sorry, Stark and Nick Fury references in The First Avenger? Perhaps in the end credits scene? Since the movie itself takes place in the 1940's, before either character was born.

So yes, I recommend watching the movies in one of two ways:

Release order, or

Chronological order

Take your pick - I personally prefer chronological order, though for a first viewing, release order is likely better.

Spoiler

21 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Sorry, Stark and Nick Fury references in The First Avenger? Perhaps in the end credits scene? Since the movie itself takes place in the 1940's, before either character was born.

So yes, I recommend watching the movies in one of two ways:

Release order, or

Chronological order

Take your pick - I personally prefer chronological order, though for a first viewing, release order is likely better.

Oh no i mean one of the characters is Tony Starks father. He shows of some car in the film too. It's only minor references but i wouldn't have released the Stark character's significance and why they were even showing a random guy showing off a car if it wasn't for Iron Man first. But yes, the Nick Fury part is at the end.

12 hours ago, TheBritishVillain said:

Oh no i mean one of the characters is Tony Starks father. He shows of some car in the film too. It's only minor references but i wouldn't have released the Stark character's significance and why they were even showing a random guy showing off a car if it wasn't for Iron Man first. But yes, the Nick Fury part is at the end.

I don't think there's any issue at all knowing about Howard Stark before you meet Tony in Iron Man. It actually gives you a nice peak at his dad's backstory, which can add to the experience of watching Iron Man.

As for the end credit scene with Fury, that's okay. It'll make sense after you watch a few more of the movies with Fury in them. It really doesn't impact the story in any negative way.

Spoiler

Finished the first Avengers. Great film. The Hulk is a beast!

On 3/8/2019 at 3:30 PM, dalekphalm said:

TL;DR: 

Captain Marvel is a kickass movie, and I highly recommend it. 8/10 for sure (with a 5 being an "average" not horrible but not great, "meh" movie).

Good buddy cop movie.

CPU: Intel i5 3550           | Cooler: Corsair A50          | Motherboard: Asus P8Z77      | Storage: Crucial MX200 250GB |

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB   | GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970      | Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black)  | PSU: EVGA 650W G2            |

On 3/8/2019 at 10:27 AM, SolarNova said:

You could probably just watch the Avengers movies in order and be ok.

But if u want the backstory of each main character you should watch atleast the Iron Man , Capt America, and Thor films.

But for the full cast of Infinity war and their stories so far you could watch:

Iron Man

Iron Man 2

Thor

Capt America

Avengers

Iron Man 3

Thor Dark World

Guardians of the galaxy 1 & 2

Capt America Winter Soldier

Avengers Ultron

Antman

Doctor Strange

Captain America Civil war

Black Panther

Spider Man Homecoming

Thor Ragnarok

Avengers Infinity war

You could watch Incredible Hulk (2008) aswell but they changed the actor and really only the after credits scene ties it to the rest of the films so not really needed.

Then after that ur leading up to End game

As i siad, the full list above is so u know each characters story, but the Avengers films themselves i think can be watched on their own. Right now i cant think an instance where u really need to have watched other movies to enjoy the Avengers films. Unless u outright know nothing about Marvel characters.

As for the series. No needo t watch them, the only 1 i have seen that has a direct connection to the movies is Agents of Shield via Agent Colsen and his story. but its not required to be seen for the movies as they have seperate stories, it just explains what happens to Colsen after the movies.

BRAVO in order as well!!! 

8 hours ago, Be Healed in Jesus Name! said:

BRAVO in order as well!!! 

But isn't Black Panther supposed to be in Civil War? Meaning i should watch BP first?

13 hours ago, Gale said:

Good buddy cop movie.

Agreed - the chemistry on screen between Jackson and Larson is very unexpected, but oh man it works.

I want more young Nick Fury now.

5 hours ago, TheBritishVillain said:

But isn't Black Panther supposed to be in Civil War? Meaning i should watch BP first?

Civil War is the first movie he appears in, chronologically and in release order. BP takes place shortly after the events of Captain America Civil War.

Spoiler