amazon to support local payment

LukeSavenije

credit to @AluminiumTech for the sources

sources: amazon westernunion

You can now use cash to pay for millions of Amazon.com products from across the globe at your local Western Union® agent location.

13-26-08-AmazonExports_FIAT_Concepts_R9_LP_MobilePaycodeGraphic_1242x700_v2.png.0a35338232f4e0af6ced00cb7da7b65d.png13-33-27-AmazonExports_FIAT_Concepts_R9_LP_MobilePaycodeGraphic_1242x550_v1.2.png.e189118958ec15463f53946ad7cc3c56.png13-33-30-AmazonExports_FIAT_Concepts_R7_LP_MobilePaycodeGraphic_1242x550_v1.3.png.6770bf8a333a0810449091735dd4c2fa.png13-33-34-AmazonExports_FIAT_Concepts_R7_LP_MobilePaycodeGraphic_1242x550_v1.4.png.7a925ca13c1e76dca8c7e95ce5bac594.png

it's a interesting move to be sure, yet one that has a good reason: closing the gap between amazon being a webstore and a real life one

9 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

sources: amazon westernunion

it's a interesting move to be sure, yet one that has a good reason: closing the gap between amazon being a webstore and a real life one

I don't see the appeal tbh.

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

2 minutes ago, givingtnt said:

I don't see the appeal tbh.

it's more a appeal to wu users that it is supported. I'm not one either

I wonder if this is specifically targeted at regions where credit/debit cards are still less common than cash. Or maybe there is enough of an untapped market that can't/wont use card they want to try and get in on?

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

in India this is very similar to something called 'cash on delivery' or something like that

@WikiForce

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, Teddy07 said:

Amazon is the most restrictive webshop when it comes to payment. Only credit card or bank accounts can be used.

and they added this to that small list as you can see

22 minutes ago, porina said:

I wonder if this is specifically targeted at regions where credit/debit cards are still less common than cash. Or maybe there is enough of an untapped market that can't/wont use card they want to try and get in on?

i guess so, a lot of those places do have a wu in their region...

5 minutes ago, themctipers said:

in India this is very similar to something called 'cash on delivery' or something like that

@WikiForce

sounds interesting...

Western Union?

I foresee the resurrection of the old "You have money waiting at WU!" e.mail scams from a few decades back

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Just now, Radium_Angel said:

Western Union?

I foresee the resurrection of the old "You have money waiting at WU!" e.mail scams from a few decades back

probably... but that'll happen with any payment solution unfortunately

COD is popular here in Southeast Asia so I can see this would appeal to some people who want to buy something from Amazon but don’t have a credit card.

Though it wouldn’t change that customs tax suck. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Not bad I guess, even the UK has a fair amount of branches in big towns/cities. Personally though if you don't have a debit card in 2019, or an online bank, can't see how? Most if not all people nowadays get paid into a bank account here in the UK, even homeless as they can get a basic bank account that has a debit card with no charges incurred, and no overdraft services etc. If you have ID, such as passport/driving licence (photo), then you can get an online bank account very easily, and administer with phone if you have hot-spot/wifi access/data. You can also get pre-pay cards with little to no identity required, which can be topped up at post offices/banks pretty much anywhere, they do incur a fee for top-ups IIRC though.

For me, Western Union would be really bad, nearest branch to me is around 20 miles away. But I guess more services are a good thing in today's age, as more and more banks and post-offices are getting closed in the UK, the nearest bank branch (any) to me is now 10 miles away... we're lucky we still have a post-office in our village, as we have a high elderly population in and around us, that just don't want to use cards and bank accounts even though they are easy to use... I regularly go with my mother shopping, and sometimes have to help her with the card machine, LOL - for some reason she doesn't look at the screen telling her what to do, so she puts the card in too early, a LOT. And sometimes forgets her pin number, even though I've told her multiple times that she can change it at an ATM to something else if she wants. These people would NOT be helped by being able to use Western Union though IMO, as it's another step that they would have to remember, rather than storing card/bank details and paying online. I just can't imagine a demographic that WOULD be helped by this really.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

come to think of it, I can't think of a place in my town that has a western union. 

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

Remember that not everyone have a bank account or card that can do online payments. However, how much extra will western union charge? 

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

1 minute ago, williamcll said:

Remember that not everyone have a bank account or card that can do online payments. However, how much extra will western union charge? 

probably enough to make it available for amazon...

Why the hell would anyone shopping online for reasons of convenience and cost savings want to physically walk into a western union location, wait in line, fill out the form and then be charged the outragous fees to wire the money?

It completely condtradicts the entire point of an online purchase....

Seems like a pretty retarded move by anyone taking part in this.

What does windows 10 and ET have in common?

They are both constantly trying to phone home.

3 minutes ago, Hellion said:

Why the hell would anyone shopping online for reasons of convenience and cost savings want to physically walk into a western union location, wait in line, fill out the form and then be charged the outragous fees to wire the money?

because there are people that simply doesn't have a way of online payment?

7 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

because there are people that simply doesn't have a way of online payment?

Then stop being a degenerate and get a bank account?

As muich as I don't trust banks, modern society is designed in such a way that you can't even find a job if you don't have an account for the money to be deposited into. It's literally a requirement for employment at most north american companies.

What does windows 10 and ET have in common?

They are both constantly trying to phone home.

1 minute ago, Hellion said:

Then stop being a degenerate and get a bank account?

It's easy to talk when your banks surely don't have ridiculous monthly maintenance costs

OP do you know if it works outside the US and EU?

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

I mean, I guess it is good for people without any kind of debit or credit card but I don't see why you don't just get a reloadable card at that point. At least you can load the card when you are out doing your shopping instead of making a separate trip to WU.

You can get an Amex Bluebird card at Wal-Mart and it is almost completely fee free. No maintenance or reloading fees. It seems a lot more convenient to just keep some cash on there and load it up when you are out shopping...

Who the frack uses cash money these days except people evading taxes.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

49 minutes ago, Raskolnikov said:

Who the frack uses cash money these days except people evading taxes.

I try to avoid it but it's always a good idea to keep a $20 bill in your glove box or something. You never know when your card might not work or there is some other problem.

I went to Wal-Mart at like 3 AM a few months ago and didn't have any cash on me and didn't even bring my debit or credit card with. So when I got to Wal-Mart and tried to use Wal-Mart pay, it wouldn't go through. Turned out they were having some issues on their end. So I had to leave, drive to a gas station, buy a pack of gum and use Google Pay so I could get cash back for my purchase, and then drive back to Wal-Mart. I wish I had just had some cash in my car then.

4 minutes ago, Kawaii Koneko said:

I try to avoid it but it's always a good idea to keep a $20 bill in your glove box or something. You never know when your card might not work or there is some other problem.

I went to Wal-Mart at like 3 AM a few months ago and didn't have any cash on me and didn't even bring my debit or credit card with. So when I got to Wal-Mart and tried to use Wal-Mart pay, it wouldn't go through. Turned out they were having some issues on their end. So I had to leave, drive to a gas station, buy a pack of gum and use Google Pay so I could get cash back for my purchase, and then drive back to Wal-Mart. I wish I had just had some cash in my car then.

Yeah I understand as a backup, but I mean as actual everyday currency.

I put everything on my CC even if it's $1.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti