Newly Built Desktop Locking Ethernet speeds to 10mbps

BladeOfDismay

I just built a new PC yesterday, and it's working just fine except for the ethernet. On my laptop, I can get ~90mbps consistently with my cable, but when that same cable is plugged into my PC, it caps out at 10, and won't even get that most of the time. I've checked through both MSI's gaming lan program and Intel's network utility, and both say that the speed is 10mbps full duplex. I have tried reinstalling the LAN drivers and such, but I can't get it higher than 10mbps without the computer disconnecting me from the ethernet. How can I solve this?

Click Start > Search for Run > Enter  "devmgmt.msc"

This should open up Device Manager
In Device Manager, Navigate to Network Adapters
Find the Network Adapter in Question, Right click and Hit Properties.
Under the Advanced Tab There should be an option for Speed and Duplex.

Make sure the drop down selection is Changed to "Auto Negotiation"

3 minutes ago, ahw6224 said:

Click Start > Search for Run > Enter  "devmgmt.msc"
In Device Manager, Navigate to Network Adapters
Find the Network Adapter in Question, Right click and Hit Properties.
Under the Advanced Tab There should be an option for Speed and Duplex.

Make sure the drop down selection is Changed to "Auto Negotiation"

It was set to "Auto Negotiation" by default, but it still seems to be locked to 10mbps. It wouldn't let me switch back to "Auto Negotiation" until I reinstalled the drivers, but the issue still persists.

Just now, BladeOfDismay said:

It was set to "Auto Negotiation" by default, but I changed it to other options earlier to test them. It now just disconnects my connection for some reason when I try to switch back to it.

What is the Motherboard you are using? 

Just now, ahw6224 said:

What is the Motherboard you are using? 

A new X470 Gaming Pro Carbon from MSI. No other issues with anything except the connection.

4 minutes ago, BladeOfDismay said:

A new X470 Gaming Pro Carbon from MSI. No other issues with anything except the connection.

When you installed the Drivers, did you get the Latest one's from Intel directly, or did you get the ones from MSI's website?

1 minute ago, ahw6224 said:

When you installed the Drivers, did you get the Latest one's from Intel directly, or did you get the ones from MSI's website?

I downloaded the latest ones from the MSI website.

Just now, BladeOfDismay said:

I downloaded the latest ones from the MSI website.

Okay, I would try the one's directly from Intel https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25016/Ethernet-Intel-Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-10?product=64404

When you do, go back to Device Manager, Uninstall the Old drivers from the Device. Restart your computer, and then Run the Intel Setup

24 minutes ago, ahw6224 said:

Okay, I would try the one's directly from Intel https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25016/Ethernet-Intel-Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-10?product=64404

When you do, go back to Device Manager, Uninstall the Old drivers from the Device. Restart your computer, and then Run the Intel Setup

Did that, but it's doing the same thing as before, where it won't let me change the speed and duplex without completely losing connection.

1 minute ago, BladeOfDismay said:

Did that, but it's doing the same thing as before, where it won't let me change the speed and duplex without completely losing connection.

Okay.

Go to your Network and Sharing Center. Go to Change adapter settings. Disable and then Re-enable the device. 

I sometimes have to do that on mine to get my full speeds to come through. I have a slightly older version of the NIC that you have. 

6 minutes ago, ahw6224 said:

Okay.

Go to your Network and Sharing Center. Go to Change adapter settings. Disable and then Re-enable the device. 

I sometimes have to do that on mine to get my full speeds to come through. I have a slightly older version of the NIC that you have. 

That didn't change anything, but I've noticed that when viewing the network properties in Windows, it also says my Link speed is 10/10. 

21 minutes ago, BladeOfDismay said:

That didn't change anything, but I've noticed that when viewing the network properties in Windows, it also says my Link speed is 10/10. 

Check and see if there is an Update on your BIOS. if so, I would update it.

Also, when you are in your BIOS. Look around and see if there is an option for like "Energy Efficient mode" or like a low power mode, for the Network adapter.

9 minutes ago, ahw6224 said:

Check and see if there is an Update on your BIOS. if so, I would update it.

Also, when you are in your BIOS. Look around and see if there is an option for like "Energy Efficient mode" or like a low power mode, for the Network adapter.

My BIOS has the latest update, and there aren't any options for a low power mode or anything similar in the BIOS.

16 minutes ago, BladeOfDismay said:

My BIOS has the latest update, and there aren't any options for a low power mode or anything similar in the BIOS.

Did you have this problem before the MSI Gaming Lan program was installed?

36 minutes ago, ahw6224 said:

Did you have this problem before the MSI Gaming Lan program was installed?

Yes, I downloaded the Gaming LAN program to try and fix it after I noticed it.

10 hours ago, BladeOfDismay said:

Yes, I downloaded the Gaming LAN program to try and fix it after I noticed it.

Are you familiar with a Linux Live USB Disk? If not check this out https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutorial/tutorial-create-a-usb-stick-on-windows#0

I would create a disk, run Linux and see if the problem replicates itself with Linux

If it does, Your port may be bad on the motherboard

If it doesn't, I would try a Fresh install of Windows on the computer, and then DON'T install any of the MSI Utilities, just the Ethernet Driver from Intel.

3 hours ago, ahw6224 said:

Are you familiar with a Linux Live USB Disk? If not check this out https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutorial/tutorial-create-a-usb-stick-on-windows#0

I would create a disk, run Linux and see if the problem replicates itself with Linux

If it does, Your port may be bad on the motherboard

If it doesn't, I would try a Fresh install of Windows on the computer, and then DON'T install any of the MSI Utilities, just the Ethernet Driver from Intel.

Ubuntu was also locked at 10mbps up and down, so it must be something on the motherboard.

2 hours ago, BladeOfDismay said:

Ubuntu was also locked at 10mbps up and down, so it must be something on the motherboard.

Okay, at this point, I would do one of the Two options.

Contact MSI for an RMA

Or purchase a PCIe network card, or a USB network adapter and use that instead. 

On 3/8/2019 at 3:38 PM, ahw6224 said:

Contact MSI for an RMA

Sorry Im a friend of his, So he got a PCIE Network adapter and where having trouble with it still. This time were getting no connection. 

On 3/8/2019 at 5:38 PM, ahw6224 said:

Contact MSI for an RMA

I have purchased a network card, but that has not solved my issue, as the network card seems to have issues as well. The network card often times will not even detect that there is a cable plugged into it. When it does detect the cable, the internet will be shown as "Unidentified network - No internet." It seems to be some sort of IP Configuration issue according to what I managed to get out of a Windows diagnostics. I've tried resetting everything related to it, and even tried manually setting the IP Configuration, but it just set itself back to automatic after I tried to make sure it would save. 

19 hours ago, BladeOfDismay said:

I have purchased a network card, but that has not solved my issue, as the network card seems to have issues as well. The network card often times will not even detect that there is a cable plugged into it. When it does detect the cable, the internet will be shown as "Unidentified network - No internet." It seems to be some sort of IP Configuration issue according to what I managed to get out of a Windows diagnostics. I've tried resetting everything related to it, and even tried manually setting the IP Configuration, but it just set itself back to automatic after I tried to make sure it would save. 

Okay, during this process, are you using a different cable, from the one you used when it was working on your laptop? If not I would try a new cable. 

Are you using an ISP provided Modem/Router. Or do you have your own?

Does the new network adapter replicate the problem with Ubuntu?

look at the ethernet port up close. do you see any missing/bent/damaged pins?

have you tried a different cable or a different PC plugged into the same cable?

my money is on a physical fault meaning you cant use all the pairs in the cable and so stuck at lower speeds (10baseT uses less pairs than 100/1000baseT