cisco 2950 ALL LIGHTS FLASHING when PLUGGED IN

shooter27

so I found a 24 port cisco 2950 switch where I work and when I plug the power in all the lights flash every second or so

to me it looks like a faulty psu but idk much about switches, any ideas?

How long does it happen for? It could take a few minutes to boot.

1 minute ago, TempestCatto said:

How long does it happen for? It could take a few minutes to boot.

it has been plugged in for 15+mins now and its still doing it

Is it a rapid flash or 1 flash per second?

First is a switching loop, second is just spanning tree BPDUs

Just now, mynameisjuan said:

Is it a rapid flash or 1 flash per second. 

First is a switching loop, second is just spanning tree BPDUs

I had a couple of networking classes but its been a years since I've done any, I downloaded putty and connected my pc to the console but when I try to accedd it using ssh on port 22 (default port cause I dont know what to use) it just makes a sound and nothing happens so I have no way of trying to see it boot or reset it. Or is there a way i'm not aware of?

8 minutes ago, shooter27 said:

I had a couple of networking classes but its been a years since I've done any, I downloaded putty and connected my pc to the console but when I try to accedd it using ssh on port 22 (default port cause I dont know what to use) it just makes a sound and nothing happens so I have no way of trying to see it boot or reset it. Or is there a way i'm not aware of?

You dont ssh over the console. Actually SSH wont work by default. Once you get in I can assist with that after. 

You need to console into the back of the 2950 if I remember correctly. You will need a console cable. After that open putty ---> serial ---> com[enter com #]

1 minute ago, mynameisjuan said:

You dont ssh over the console. Actually SSH wont work by default. Once you get in I can assist with that after. 

You need to console into the back of the 2950 if I remember correctly. You will need a console cable. After that open putty ---> serial ---> com[enter com #]

two questions: where do I get the com # and isnt a console cable just a regular ethernet cable?

Just now, shooter27 said:

two questions: where do I get the com # and isnt a console cable just a regular ethernet cable?

Under Device Manager you will see Serial section and under that it says the COM. 

Console cables while they do have RJ45 jacks, they are actually serial connections from days of old, just rewired. They com in USB to RJ45 and serial to RJ45 variations.

https://www.amazon.com/Gopala-Cisco-Console-Cable-cable/dp/B01N0LMWGQ/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=console+cable&qid=1552011339&s=gateway&sr=8-3

1 minute ago, mynameisjuan said:

Under Device Manager you will see Serial section and under that it says the COM. 

Console cables while they do have RJ45 jacks, they are actually serial connections from days of old, just rewired. They com in USB to RJ45 and serial to RJ45 variations.

https://www.amazon.com/Gopala-Cisco-Console-Cable-cable/dp/B01N0LMWGQ/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=console+cable&qid=1552011339&s=gateway&sr=8-3

thanks, I'll ask at work if I can get a cable like that tomorrow!

2 minutes ago, shooter27 said:

thanks, I'll ask at work if I can get a cable like that tomorrow!

They come with every switch/router. If might have a ton of them. 

19 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

Actually most brands (HP, Cisco, Aruba) still use them on brand new equipment.

It makes the device accessible regardless of IP settings and allows you to access them before the device fully boots to diagnose or flash corrupted firmware.