Been 10 years, Need suggestions on games that cannot be unplayed

Kardall

Ok so I am building my new rig, the cooler will be here on Monday: 

I have ungodly slow internet in Rural Saskatchewan, so I need to pre-load games I want to play to see how this new rig will handle it.

The Video card is an RX 470 8GB edition because it is not in that forum thread.

Anyway, Currently I have stopped playing World of Warcraft because of things. I don't feel that I would enjoy playing the game as well as testing the rig out. So I am looking for game suggestions, free or otherwise, to see how it handles 1080p gaming. I do not run 4k as I don't see any point in it other than pushing something to its limits. I don't feel I would benefit from it at this point in my life. Anyway.

I was contemplating loading up some of my old favorites.

Star Wars: The Old Republic
World of Warships
Cannot play Wildstar so ... that one is out.

Rift perhaps

Getting GTA V cause it's on sale for $15 right now.

I develop an application for Shroud of the Avatar, and Unity Engine seems to test certain builds so I will be testing it out regardless.

But yes, my download speed is 680kb/s on a good day here, so I really want to try to prioritize the games I download to see how it goes. So if any of these games or maybe others you may suggest could help me see what the difference actually is between my old and new rig... that would be awesome.

Right now, my biggest bane, is not being able to turn shadows on in most games, and the MXAA or FXAA are just off. Most of the time the draw distance is really low, or in general the game settings are on low constantly. So I am sure anything is going to be amaze-balls to be sure.

I'll be burning in my machine probably Tuesday to Thursday next week to make sure everything is running smoothly, but until then feel free to leave a comment or suggestion below. Any questions about the rig that you may need for contemplating a priority, just leave them below as well.

Thank you in advance.

7 minutes ago, Kardall said:

my download speed is 680kb/s

Throughout the years I've downloaded several TB of games at no more than 50 kb/s

ZVeskSM.png

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

I thought MMO like World of Warships suck when your internet is no good?

Also what game types do you usually enjoy?

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

LOL

When Wildstar Alpha came out, I had to download the 10GB of it on my internet. Then I was poor and lost my internet so I used my phone for internet for a week.

During that week, Wildstar did an update and forced a re-download of the entire Alpha client. This was while I slept.

Canadian Phone Providers charge $0.05/MB so I had a $500 phone bill that month, but still not internet. I continued and it went up to about $2,000 by the end of the month.

Was a good time. really... I regret nothing.

Here are some of my favorites. These are all singleplayer and generally low file sizes:

**very highly recommend

Other good games you should take a look into

Spoiler
  • Cave Story +**
  • Heavy Rain**
  • Fahrenheit / Ingido Prophecy**
  • Beyond Two Souls**
  • LA Noir**
  • Fran Bow**
  • Witcher 3**
  • Inside
  • Besiege
  • Cluster Truck
  • Don't Starve
  • Factorio
  • Hotline Miami
  • Kingdom
  • Limbo
  • Only If
  • Oxygen Not Included
  • Prison Architect
  • Quake 3
  • Risk of Rain
  • SpelunkySD
  • Stardew Valley
  • Super Meat Boy
  • The Beginner's Guide
  • The Escapists
  • The Forest
  • West of Loathing
  • Into The Breach
  • Gods Will Be Watching**
  • Bleed / Bleed 2
  • Doom / Doom 2
  • Democracy 3
  • SuperHot
  • They Are Billions
  • Sid Meyers Civ 5
  • Firewatch
  • Grim Fandango
  • No Time To Explain
  • PolyBridge
  • Subnautica
  • Year Walk

** I really recommend based off of story and/or gameplay

Some of those have really big file sizes.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

1 minute ago, Jurrunio said:

I thought MMO like World of Warships suck when your internet is no good?

Also what game types do you usually enjoy?

Well, normally my games vary. I mean, I used to play FPS games but not so much anymore. CS:GO kinda went away from my eye a number of years ago.

The Online aspect isn't that bad. my Pings aren't bad, my download speed sucks. So big patches and such are just a nuisance. So that's why I want to try to pre-load some games onto a drive before I swap machines, so I don't have to wait to download on the new machine.

I am going to have to install Visual Studio again and Android Studio when I get the machine, so it's going to take some time there itself. But the games are the big one. Anything I do not have already, I will have to re-download. 

1 minute ago, Imbellis said:

Here are some of my favorites. These are all singleplayer and generally low file sizes:

Other good games you should take a look into

Reveal hidden contents
  • Witcher 3**
  • Cave Story +**
  • Inside
  • Heavy Rain**
  • Fahrenheit / Ingido Prophecy**
  • Beyond Two Souls**
  • LA Noir**
  • Besiege
  • Cluster Truck
  • Don't Starve
  • Factorio
  • Hotline Miami
  • Kingdom
  • Limbo
  • Only If
  • Oxygen Not Included
  • Prison Architect
  • Quake 3
  • Risk of Rain
  • SpelunkySD
  • Stardew Valley
  • Super Meat Boy
  • The Beginner's Guide
  • The Escapists
  • The Forest
  • West of Loathing
  • Into The Breach
  • Gods Will Be Watching**
  • Bleed / Bleed 2
  • Doom / Doom 2
  • Democracy 3
  • SuperHot
  • They Are Billions
  • Sid Meyers Civ 5
  • Firewatch
  • Grim Fandango
  • Fran Bow**
  • No Time To Explain
  • PolyBridge
  • Subnautica
  • Year Walk

** I really recommend based off of story and/or gameplay

Some of those have really big file sizes.

Ya I am more interested in games that are going to say, "Man, how did I ever get away with having a 10 year old machine before." type of games. Like Witcher 3, I have heard really good things about it, but I know for a fact that my computer cannot handle it.

It can barely run Skyrim at 15fps so.

1 minute ago, campy said:

We're potentially getting the master chief collection of halo games on PC soon, if that shows up, buy it on the spot.

Id suggest insurgency if you want a hybrid of ARMA and CSGO.

Also get ARMA and CSGO. ARMA 3 being the walking simulator to end all walking simulators, and CSGO being the meta simulator to end all meta simulators.

Cities: Skylines is a fantastic city builder kind of game that takes the idea of simcity but drastically expands it. Best played with a decent processor and the largest screen you can find. Id suggest that since its pretty cheap and city builders are a universally enjoyable genre.

I hate Halo's gameplay actually. It's the one game I really wanted to like, but any FPS game where you 'float on the moon when you jump' just down right turns me off.

I can't take it.

I think it's the years of Quake II and Unreal Tournament that did it.

Oh and yes, Cities Skylines. I have that, I will definitely be loading that puppy up! :)

2 minutes ago, Kardall said:

Ya I am more interested in games that are going to say, "Man, how did I ever get away with having a 10 year old machine before." type of games.

So are you specifically looking for games that are taxing on computers - or are you looking for games that aren't taxing?

That statement above makes it seem like you're looking for taxing games.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

Just now, campy said:

Oh, and memes aside, Skyrim Special Edition. The game looks gorgeous even if its a bit older now. Skyrim is a PC must have (inb4 "get outa here todd").

Xbox 360 skyrim to maxed out special edition on PC is night and day.

Actually I have contemplated getting Skyrim. I'm sorry but I pirated a copy when I wasn't sure that I could run it according to other youtubers and such. I think I had around 30-40 minutes in-game and my machine would overheat or whatever. So HAHA

1 minute ago, Imbellis said:

So are you specifically looking for games that are taxing on computers - or are you looking for games that aren't taxing?

That statement above makes it seem like you're looking for taxing games.

Well, taxing yes simply because a 10 year old computer is really limited to what it can handle.

I am just saying, a game that would not have been possible to see in any resemblance of glory, due to hardware restrictions, is what I'm looking for.

Like, if I can get over 20fps in a game i'm happy right now.

From the reviews, I am going to be looking at at least 50-60fps in most games so ... I can't wait. Seriously. I can't remember the last time I saw a 3D game run in > 30fps.

1 minute ago, campy said:

I get that, i dislike a lot of todays esports shooters (such as csgo that i mentioned, but its free and popular for a reason) simply because of the movement. I personally like games where movement is a little bit more fast paced and nothing restricts you.

In CSGO as an example, unless youre a bunnyhopping god, jumping and moving in a straight line will slowly slow you down to the point that youre crawling.

Meanwhile in Insurgency, you can strafehop easily and fly around corners and shit at mach 1, and it has a sprint feature.

Halo is more of a slow FPS game, no real movement features (until later games). But Halo 1/2/3 if they come to PC without issues, theyre just something you have to experience. Halo 1 in particular is such an amazingly well crafted game that really defined the entire FPS genre post Duke Nukem/DOOM that it would be a shame to go without it.

well Maybe i'll give it a shot on PC then.

I will probably install CS:GO just to see, but ...

For me it's a massive shame that I cannot play Wildstar with my new rig. Just a few months too late I guess :(

I really liked Wildstar, but it was really hard to play with 20 fps in pvp.

I really enjoyed metro: 2033 and LL both redux versions, they were really fun, and can be quite graphically demanding with higher settings. Those were fun.

I've heard the tomb raider games were good, and crysis is apparantly pretty good, and good graphics (I've never played)

Here are a few games that i would suggest (and their file size (of the few i own on PC [as most i own are on Xbox]) to see if you think they are worth it)

Arma 3 can run on most systems if the settings are turned right down and can stress a computer when they are turned right up - File Size (Through Steam 33.2GB)

Dead rising 3, as they introduced this new way of "building" the zombies in that game, it gave every one of them a skeletal structure and still displayed many on the screen at once (20GB+)

RedStone, probably thje mmo I stuck with the longest time, as it was all i could play online when my internet was at less then 50kb/s

Ghost recon (the origional games), i just found them fun and they were made a while ago (2-3Gb)

Jurassic World Evoloution, I quite liked it and the graphics of it were kind of nice (5+ GB)

Left for dead 1+2, played for quite a while before i moved on to other games (5+GB + 15ish GB)

Umbrella Corps, set in the Resident evil universe, i quite liked the graphics of the game, didn't sink a lot of time into this as i purchased resident evil 5 and 6 around the same time, so moved on to them two instead 

Awesome adventures of captain spirit, even at 3.7GB and about 2-4hrs of story, i would still reccomend if you like story games especially dont nod games 

Kingdom Come Deliverence, this game looks good, fighting is ok but can give many hours of fun (But quite a big download at 60+GB)

A game quite simular is Mount and Blade warband, this game if you play it shoves you in the world with no help, i just lets you do whatever you want, want to serve the king, do that, want to build up your own empire do that, if you want to buy a buisness do that all at around (4GB)

I didn't really know what games to link as most new games these days are 50+GB especially ones that will show you performance of a PC

5 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

I really enjoyed metro: 2033 and LL both redux versions, they were really fun, and can be quite graphically demanding with higher settings. Those were fun.

I've heard the tomb raider games were good, and crysis is apparantly pretty good, and good graphics (I've never played)

i will keep those in mind.

I heard about Metro a little bit, but I knew my machine wouldn't stand a chance since it was used as a benchmark for a year so LOL. Same with the Tomb Raider games.

but yes, I will definitely look into those as well. Thank you :D

1 minute ago, WickedStarfish said:

Here are a few games that i would suggest (and their file size (of the few i own on PC [as most i own are on Xbox]) to see if you think they are worth it)

Arma 3 can run on most systems if the settings are turned right down and can stress a computer when they are turned right up - File Size (Through Steam 33.2GB)

Dead rising 3, as they introduced this new way of "building" the zombies in that game, it gave every one of them a skeletal structure and still displayed many on the screen at once (20GB+)

RedStone, probably thje mmo I stuck with the longest time, as it was all i could play online when my internet was at less then 50kb/s

Ghost recon (the origional games), i just found them fun and they were made a while ago (2-3Gb)

Jurassic World Evoloution, I quite liked it and the graphics of it were kind of nice (5+ GB)

Left for dead 1+2, played for quite a while before i moved on to other games (5+GB + 15ish GB)

Umbrella Corps, set in the Resident evil universe, i quite liked the graphics of the game, didn't sink a lot of time into this as i purchased resident evil 5 and 6 around the same time, so moved on to them two instead 

Awesome adventures of captain spirit, even at 3.7GB and about 2-4hrs of story, i would still reccomend if you like story games especially dont nod games 

Kingdom Come Deliverence, this game looks good, fighting is ok but can give many hours of fun (But quite a big download at 60+GB)

A game quite simular is Mount and Blade warband, this game if you play it shoves you in the world with no help, i just lets you do whatever you want, want to serve the king, do that, want to build up your own empire do that, if you want to buy a buisness do that all at around (4GB)

I didn't really know what games to link as most new games these days are 50+GB especially ones that will show you performance of a PC

Interesting, most of those games I have never heard of before. I will check them out for sure :) Thank you :D 

1. Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands. Honestly, software optimization is rather poor so it's quite harsh of a stress test. The missions are kinda repetitive, driving physics are weird (not like GTA 5 is any realistic) and none of the characters are especially memorable (nor important) as well. However it makes up for these flaws with a large map, you can deploy different tactics to do these missions if you want and this game does support multiplayer (up to 4). Most importantly for a shooter, it gets the feeling of a shooter just right.

2. Escape from Tarkov. Battle royale games are all the rage right now, but Escape from Tarkov makes these games look like a candy ass. Just like GRW it's objectives are repetitive, but you have full control on how to do it. Loot the map only and finish the round, or loot other players (they are teammates but you can betray them) and finish the round. Gun optimization is pretty much unlimited (a lot of torches to blind the enemies or a lot of scopes to shoot at varying distances are your choice). You do lose stuff if someone else took it from you so it's important to have friends playing with you.

4 minutes ago, Kardall said:

Same with the Tomb Raider games.

Tomb Raider games are pretty well optimized, I can run them with my GTX 1060 6GB laptop just fine. Their gameplay are all linear though, more about story than actions.

4. BeamNG drive. Not because it's hard on your hardware, but a realistic driving simulator with proper crash physics is just a must play.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

1 minute ago, Kardall said:

Interesting, most of those games I have never heard of before. I will check them out for sure :) Thank you :D 

Mount and Blade Warband has probably delivered the most entertainment from a small game, there is also Mount and Blade fire and sword which i didn't find as fun, but all it did was add mostly single shot firearms to the game (Mount and blade is probably one of the most underated games), if you really cannot stand the graphics of mount and blade warband, Mount and Blade 2: Bannerlord should be out soon (has been "should be out soon" since 2017 haha, though thats what happens when its a smallish group working on the game) and has a lot better graphics - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_3el4IAevg

Oh and I forgot about Conqueror's Blade, it is like tiger knight (on steam) and should be released this year sometime