Nintendo asking partner phone developers to avoid gouging gamers on in-app purchases

sources: appleinsider arstechnica

in a quite interesting move Nintendo reportedly tells partner iPhone developers not to gouge in-app purchases in. a interesting move, but why?

appleinsider:

The company is mostly interested in drawing attention to popular console franchises like Mario and "Fire Emblem," and doesn't want to damage its brand by milking players the way many mobile apps do, sources told the Wall Street Journal. A number of so-called "free-to-play" games can in truth be very expensive, forcing players to spend real money on in-game currency or speeding up essential actions if they want to make progress. More innocuous examples limit transactions to cosmetic items.

"Nintendo is not interested in making a large amount of revenue from a single smartphone game," one official said. "If we managed the game alone, we would have made a lot more."

A Nintendo spokesman simply confirmed that the company discusses "various things, not just limited to payments, to deliver high-quality fun to consumers."

arstechnica:

The company clarified things even further to the WSJ, alleging that Nintendo responded to players' complaints about Dragalia's loot box economy by asking the developer to "adjust the game" to reduce how much a player might spend in the game to progress normally.

“Nintendo is not interested in making a large amount of revenue from a single smartphone game,” a CyberAgent representative told the WSJ. “If we managed the game alone, we would have made a lot more.”

it seems like quite a interesting move to me. Nintendo generally didn't join the big dlc hype yet, but yet this is surprising to read if it's true. 

and with Super Mario run, Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp struggle according to developer DeNA, will there be any changes made that can set the next project Dr Mario world apart from these games?

Edited by LukeSavenije

Why are you surprised?

Saturo Iwata twice took a pay cut (one was for 50%) when Nintendo failed to meet expectations as to make his employees feel safe in their jobs.

Honestly none of the 3 first party console houses have a vested interest in acting like any third party developer would. When you want to sell hardware using software to profiteer is very bad for business.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Another one from Ars Technica: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/03/nintendo-to-smartphone-game-makers-you-can-only-gouge-our-players-so-much/ It's not limited to iPhone developers, but mobile in general.

I do like how the developer is complaining about not making as much money from gacchas and loot boxes though:

The company clarified things even further to the WSJ, alleging that Nintendo responded to players' complaints about Dragalia's loot box economy by asking the developer to "adjust the game" to reduce how much a player might spend in the game to progress normally.

“Nintendo is not interested in making a large amount of revenue from a single smartphone game,” a CyberAgent representative told the WSJ. “If we managed the game alone, we would have made a lot more.”

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

Why are you surprised?

Saturo Iwata twice took a pay cut (one was for 50%) when Nintendo failed to meet expectations as to make his employees feel safe in their jobs.

Honestly none of the 3 first party console houses have a vested interest in acting like any third party developer would. When you want to sell hardware using software to profiteer is very bad for business.

I'm surprised in this day and time miracles still happen. Nintendo is one of the first i would think of, but still. 

6 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

I'd argue this is more of a cultural thing.

Whereas CEOs in America tend to get severance packages and or other perks when they fuck up big time, with their only public statement being "I'm sorry we got caught"

1 minute ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

Whereas CEOs in America tend to get severance packages and or other perks when they fuck up big time.

The wages thing, oh 100% agreed. The culture in Japan is the CEO takes responsibility, in the west it's blame the workers and protect the CEO.

On the dlc topic though, how many first party Sony or Microsoft games are stuffed with microtransactions?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

11 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

I do like how the developer is complaining about not making as much money from gacchas and loot boxes though:

Imagine being so greedy that you whine about not making as much money off of your F2P game because the IP holder doesn't support that business model.

6 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

Whereas CEOs in America tend to get severance packages and or other perks when they fuck up big time, with their only public statement being "I'm sorry we got caught"

I wish everyone would have a humbleness like this sometimes. Wow.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

2 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

The current public view on big company CEOs is actually fairly recent, along with the Golden Parachute approach. The frank answer is an invasion of British Businessmen into executive positions starting in the late 1960s and the way it changed business schools was extremely negative. A lot of industries went Mercenary/Zero-Sum that didn't used to be true. No one else would ever work the way the Japanese do (they're an Island Nation and that utterly changes cultural approaches), but it really didn't used to be the case in the USA. Even to an extent, it actually isn't. It's really only the Finance or Finance-lite companies that do that.

As to Nintendo's perspective on this, they have to worry about being in business in 10 years. These mobile game companies probably won't exist in 3 years. Nintendo has "skin in the game" whereas the vultures don't. That matters and it's good for Nintendo to be in the business of keeping its customers for decades.

5 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

I wish everyone would have a humbleness like this sometimes. Wow.

Reading in the Japan Times article some more, there's actually an ulterior motive:

Current CEO wages are kept low because there is a “tacit understanding” corporate leaders will be kept on the payroll as advisers for many years after they step down. CEOs often think “if I fail, I can’t be an adviser and get the lifetime compensation that’s my due,” says Saito. “A lot of management’s based on not wanting to throw that away.”

2 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

As to Nintendo's perspective on this, they have to worry about being in business in 10 years. These mobile game companies probably won't exist in 3 years. Nintendo has "skin in the game" whereas the vultures don't. That matters and it's good for Nintendo to be in the business of keeping its customers for decades.

Then what about the other major game publishers? They too would have to worry about being relevant in 10 years.

Though I guess in their case they wouldn't really care. They'll just take in another demographic of suckers.

2 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

Reading in the Japan Times article some more, there's actually an ulterior motive:

Then what about the other major game publishers? They too would have to worry about being relevant in 10 years.

Though I guess in their case they wouldn't really care. They'll just take in another demographic of suckers.

EA has actually always acted like a Vulture. That's why they bought up exclusive rights to Madden and FIFA. That's the only reason they're still in business. EA has killed every developer they've bought. What happened is they were the "First Mover" in the 90s to consolidate into a big company and gain monopoly control on products that'll always sell. 

Activision didn't used to have the reputation it does. What happened? They were bought by French Media Conglomerate Vivendi. Once you start having to turn out big revenue numbers, it really changes the way you approach your business. Nintendo has rarely ever lost any money, even during the Wii U era. (Nintendo is a well managed business.)  However, what they do is never have a loss-leader product. As long as their selling any hardware, they're going to make money. EA is really the only publisher that can do that, and that's due to spending a lot of money for control of several properties.

“If we managed the game alone, we would have made a lot more.”

Sure, with a ton of microtransactions, the kind that force you to pay to skip the wait/grind that was put in especially to nickle and dime users at every corners along with lootboxes that prey on a couple of whales with a gambling addiction/problem.... And they wonder why Nintendo doesn't want their reputation stained by these shitty mobile devs.

I'm 100% behind Nintendo on this. Thank you for not being the scum of the earth like so many other mobile game publishers and forcing the devs under you to respect your authoritah on this.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Not really surprising knowing Nintendos way of doing things. They might be little [the N-word for the German far right political movement] with their consoles and games being modded so far as lobbying laws against it and going full in with copyrights, but otherwise they are quite high with morality. Of course they have their dark sides like Pokemon Shuffle and Nintendo Badge Arcade coming to my mind first but they are still far away from the EA level lootbox-microtransaction-BS or even further away from majority of mobile developers. And it seems like Nintendo learned from them a lot about how to not make free-to-play games (especially with the Badge Arcade and all the threads around internet about how it's even worser than lootboxes because claw-game).

This also paints a lot better future for Nintendo. Not getting into the toxicity and "possibilities" of mobile games, even if their developers would so much want to milk the christmas chololates out of their players, and setting (and probably pretty much forcing) some moral guidelines into the platform which more or less has become even more darker than anyone expected gaming industry capable.

Imagine all the crazy shit MTX on Super Mario and Donkey Kong. Pay $5 to receive 100 digital banana's in exhange or pay $10 to fuck up Bowser so he'll free the damn princess and never ever kidnap Mario's girl again. If he does, pay up $20 to kill Bowser.

Most of the MTX are digital cancer these days and the gaming industry has changed big time. Nintendo as being kinda one of a kind, they better not screw this up.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

18 hours ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

Agreed. There are no morals or values or even respect in american culture anymore, hence why everyone is suing everyone else or blaming everyone else for their mistakes. In Japan, there is pride in their work and schooling, regardless of the type of job or class. There are very limited public trash cans, but all the streets are extremely clean. They have the worlds biggest auto makers and some of the most successful tech companies. Hell, when the tsunami hit Fukushima, Japan just stepped up and took care of it themselves, there wasn't a mass call to the world to help them and they didn't glorify the destruction and fear like american media does. They are very resilient and it stems from their culture. The rest of the world could learn a thing or two from the Japanese.

Main Rig: cpu: Intel 6600k OC @ 4.5Ghz; gpu: Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 2080 (OC'd); mb: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3; ram: 16 GB (2x8GB) 3000 G.Skill Ripjaws V; psu: EVGA 650BQ; storage: 500GB Samsung 850 evo, 2TB WD Black; case: Cooler Master HAF 912; cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Lots of fans, Air!; display: 4k Samsung 42" TV, Asus MX259H 1080p audio: Schiit Audio Magni Amp w/ Audio Technica M50x

Not that I care about consols at all and despite many of nintendos anti-consumer practices they seem to be the lesser or the three evils.

They have historically proven that squeezing every last penny out of each customer is not their top priority in business as recently as the limited run mini emulation consols.

Either way, I'm still not sure how much weight this actually holds when looking at the big picture.

What does windows 10 and ET have in common?

They are both constantly trying to phone home.

Nintendo is a family friendly responsible company, they have been for a long time.

They already do with with in app purchases in some of the 3ds games.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Because funnily enough.. Nintendo doesn't see gamers as walking money bags. They actually care about the games they push out and delay their games if they aren't to a certain standard. Nintendo will always be one of the most respected companies in my eyes, despite some of the questionable stuff they do at times.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

Good on them I've given up on mobile gaming it's becoming a joke how much people need to pay to play now