How to Change your GPU's Thermal Paste (With Pictures)

Wats

Quoting images should be punishable with warning points..But in this case, it would be acceptable.

On bare dies, you want to spread it out manually before re-installing the heatsink. Forget about the little air bubble theroy, just don't whip the TIM like eggs. GPUs are just not strong enough to spread it out themselfs like a CPU's IHS and bolt-on CPU coolers.

The whole die makes heat, it all needs to be covered in the thinnest layer possible. 'Tinting' your heatsink with excess paste from the die application before re-installation will improve temps too.

If you think the picture is wrong then use a better picture, no need to mouth off about warning points.

If you think the picture is wrong then use a better picture, no need to mouth off about warning points.

I think they're all correct, I did make them..

Also, I have a very limited data cap, 15GB/30days. I was only trying to suggest you actually quote an image when you talk about it..But to be responseable about it because sometimes others have to go out of their way to preserve their data cap.

Actually, thank you. I just went a found myself an image blocker toggle https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/image-block/?src=search Don't know how well it works yet..but yee, lets see. Carry on.

• 3 months later...

not to distract from the pea vs x method war, i have a question regarding the thermal tape that covers the other chips. does this need to be replaced or can i leave it. or can i use paste here as well. thanks

• 8 months later...

Any ideas how to apply on an Asus Matrix 5870 Platinum with direct heat pipe heat sink?