How to Change your GPU's Thermal Paste (With Pictures)

Wats

Very welcome! Nope, I was banned from FB. I don't know why, something along the lines of being inactive or something. Don't really care for social media too much anyway.

As for the questions, Bent fins? just bend them back... GENTLY. The purple pads are for other gpus that use them, like Gigabyte's.. Gigabyte's coolers are very well done btw. Start to worry about temps when you're hitting 85-95C. Do not go above that again :]

Good job replacing the paste, your results are very nice. Find that original screw and go play some games!

it was not the screw of gpu i lost it was a case screw which holds the gpu on the case  so it does not come out of pci slot i replaced the screw though ...

anyways are u sure bent fins are not a problem what about some of scratched fins ? 

do u think that brush could have scratched or bent them  ? 

CPU: Fx 8350 | CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo Now  AMD STOCK CPU COOLER | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 (rev 1.1)   NOW MSI 990FXA-GD80 | Ram: Corsair Vengence 8GB DDR3 Motherboard detects 7gb for some weird reason | Graphics Card: SAPPHIRE HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB GDDR5 |  HDD: 1 TB samsung 

Case: CM elite 310 | Monitor: Aoc e2050S

OS: Windows 8 Professional 64 Bit NOW  Wndows 10 Professional 64 Bit

Power Supply: Cooler Master Thunder 500W NOW GX 650W v2

it was not the screw of gpu i lost it was a case screw which holds the gpu on the case  so it does not come out of pci slot i replaced the screw though ...

anyways are u sure bent fins are not a problem what about some of scratched fins ? 

do u think that brush could have scratched or bent them  ? 

Ohh. Well, don't worry too much about a bent fin. Scratches are no problem at all. Nope, you would of had to use a pretty mean brush to damage the heatsink.

Ohh. Well, don't worry too much about a bent fin. Scratches are no problem at all. Nope, you would of had to use a pretty mean brush to damage the heatsink.

haha k thanks man :) but i have one more question

what gpu u r using now and are nvidia gpu better for rendering also i heard they produce less heat  ?  and would u like to game with me some time ? 

CPU: Fx 8350 | CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo Now  AMD STOCK CPU COOLER | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 (rev 1.1)   NOW MSI 990FXA-GD80 | Ram: Corsair Vengence 8GB DDR3 Motherboard detects 7gb for some weird reason | Graphics Card: SAPPHIRE HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB GDDR5 |  HDD: 1 TB samsung 

haha k thanks man :) but i have one more question

what gpu u r using now and are nvidia gpu better for rendering also i heard they produce less heat  ?  and would u like to game with me some time ? 

The same Sapphire card in the tutorial. I'm just about to pull the trigger on another one, like within 20 minutes. I don't know too much about rendering, there are much more knowledgeable people on the subject around here. Start up a topic in the gpu forum. I wouldn't say they produce less heat.

Yes I would like to game. Little problem with that though, I recently moved into the country. ...So, I have satellite internet at the moment.. 1000 ping would make multi impossible.. :L

The same Sapphire card in the tutorial. I'm just about to pull the trigger on another one, like within 20 minutes. I don't know too much about rendering, there are much more knowledgeable people on the subject around here. Start up a topic in the gpu forum. I wouldn't say they produce less heat.

Yes I would like to game. Little problem with that though, I recently moved into the country. ...So, I have satellite internet at the moment.. 1000 ping would make multi impossible.. :L

we can play on tunngle lan it will reduce ur ping :P and ull laugh if ull see my internet speed 

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2995173752

do u think its better than that white tub thermal paste do u think i should buy this one for future use as its non conductive and has reasonable price?  http://www.ebay.in/itm/Cooler-Master-IC-Value-V1-Thermal-Compound-Cooling-Grease-Paste-/171036256041?pt=IN_Computer_Components&hash=item27d28e2729&_uhb=1#ht_2862wt_1163

do u think its better than that white tub thermal paste do u think i should buy this one for future use as its non conductive and has reasonable price?  http://www.ebay.in/itm/Cooler-Master-IC-Value-V1-Thermal-Compound-Cooling-Grease-Paste-/171036256041?pt=IN_Computer_Components&hash=item27d28e2729&_uhb=1#ht_2862wt_1163

Isn't that the paste you used? If so, it is perfectly fine.

...And yes, I do think it would be better than some unknown tub of paste :P

Isn't that the paste you used? If so, it is perfectly fine.

...And yes, I do think it would be better than some unknown tub of paste :P

nope i used the one came with hyper evo 212 

Just did this to my old 9800gt. Over 20C Temp drops on idle and 10C on load. :)

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

as u know i changed TIM on 26 September 2013

its started to get heat up again reaches 75 C in games max is 80 C 

how often do we need to change it  ?

as u know i changed TIM on 26 September 2013

its started to get heat up again reaches 75 C in games max is 80 C 

how often do we need to change it  ?

whhaatt?? Uhh.. suppose to last years. I wouldn't be too comfortable with it but 80c is still alright.

whhaatt?? Uhh.. suppose to last years. I wouldn't be too comfortable with it but 80c is still alright.

should i rma it ? i only reaches 80 /85 in certain games  ... other than that 70 C is the max 

whats whats the max temperature >?

should i rma it ? i only reaches 80 /85 in certain games  ... other than that 70 C is the max 

whats whats the max temperature >?

You have a 7870, right? Max safe temp is 92-96c according to XFX (I know that isn't Sapphire :P). Of course it can go higher. But avoid that.

Reapply the paste, you'll prolly do a much better job this time.

You have a 7870, right? Max safe temp is 92-96c according to XFX (I know that isn't Sapphire :P). Of course it can go higher. But avoid that.

Reapply the paste, you'll prolly do a much better job this time.

yah but i only have that tub thermal paste left and i am a lazy guy ..

I just redid the thermal paste on my GTX 465, it pretty bad...

IMG 1377

IMG 1378

IMG 1379

IMG 1381

IMG 1382

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

Wow, I'll say. How were the results?

I may add that to the guide if I find enough "official confirmations". Good job.

It runs about 10C cooler on idle.

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

It runs about 10C cooler on idle.

preee good, load is what matters though. 

Live in a hangar? What do you fly?

preee good, load is what matters though. 

Live in a hangar? What do you fly?

Cessna 172B

I may add that to the guide if I find enough "official confirmations". Good job.

u can ask that too and confirm it as you have the same card as me :)

https://support.sapphiretech.com/presentation/member/member_login.aspx

thank u this will come in handy for my friend as he has the same card

Tried doing this and my gpu chip like the little one cracked and the gpu doesnt work :I

Tried doing this and my gpu chip like the little one cracked and the gpu doesnt work :I

how the hell did it crack didn’t u unscrewed all the screws ?

how the hell did it crack didn’t u unscrewed all the screws ?

I did unscrew all of the screws it was like the chip was cooked to the heatsink and when i tried removing the heatsink it just snapped like the little square.ermm gpus cpu? dunno how its called.