Will steam make my games lag?

Roudy sahmarani
Go to solution Solved by TheKDub,
11 minutes ago, Roudy sahmarani said:

Hello guys i have purshased the pubg pc version from steam before that inwas playing games without steam but pubg need steam to be opened so will this make any game that i have lag or impact performance of my games and one more thing when i play i close steam completely i only open it to play pubg and thank you. And btw how to remove the overlay that show when i open the game the onenthat say press shift+tab to access steam communiy.

Steam itself shouldn't make it lag, however I have heard that having the steam overlay enabled can cause slight performance loss.

Open Steam, click Steam in the top left corner, go to settings, go to In-Game, then uncheck "Enable the Steam Overlay while in-game", then hit OK.

Hello guys i have purshased the pubg pc version from steam before that inwas playing games without steam but pubg need steam to be opened so will this make any game that i have lag or impact performance of my games and one more thing when i play i close steam completely i only open it to play pubg and thank you. And btw how to remove the overlay that show when i open the game the onenthat say press shift+tab to access steam communiy.

No it won't.

You can disable the overlay through Settings -> In-game

馃檪

11 minutes ago, Roudy sahmarani said:

Steam itself shouldn't make it lag, however I have heard that having the steam overlay enabled can cause slight performance loss.

Open Steam, click Steam in the top left corner, go to settings, go to In-Game, then uncheck "Enable the Steam Overlay while in-game", then hit OK.

Specs:聽CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives聽| CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Certain games supposedly just don't work as well in the Steam license as they do via a DRM straight from the publisher. I haven't encountered any issues myself. If you're concerned about steam eating up processing power, I'm pretty sure聽you can close it once the game is open if you're really concerned. Unless you're really juicing a struggling CPU or somehow have a single core processor, you shouldn't see any performance difference though.

If you run a program like MSI Afterburner (which shows you how much each of your system is being utilized in gameplay) you can have a look at what your processing cores/threads are doing during gameplay. In a lot of cases, a single thread is doing most of the work during gameplay (which varies). That means that one聽of those other cores/threads should be plenty available to run Steam in the background without any interference.聽

What kind of CPU do you have? Do you have a GPU?

1 hour ago, trevb0t said:

Certain games supposedly just don't work as well in the Steam license as they do via a DRM straight from the publisher. I haven't encountered any issues myself. If you're concerned about steam eating up processing power, I'm pretty sure聽you can close it once the game is open if you're really concerned. Unless you're really juicing a struggling CPU or somehow have a single core processor, you shouldn't see any performance difference though.

If you run a program like MSI Afterburner (which shows you how much each of your system is being utilized in gameplay) you can have a look at what your processing cores/threads are doing during gameplay. In a lot of cases, a single thread is doing most of the work during gameplay (which varies). That means that one聽of those other cores/threads should be plenty available to run Steam in the background without any interference.聽

What kind of CPU do you have? Do you have a GPU?

Thank you my friend and my pc performance are very good i have a gtx 1070 with r5 1600x and 16gb ddr4 ram 2666mhz so no probpem with the parts of my pc nd i was only concerned about the steam

18 minutes ago, Roudy sahmarani said:

Thank you my friend and my pc performance are very good i have a gtx 1070 with r5 1600x and 16gb ddr4 ram 2666mhz so no probpem with the parts of my pc nd i was only concerned about the steam

Yeah, you've got nothing to worry about, my dude. Glad I could help!

For overkill, if you wanted to see how much of your CPU the steam program is using, you could do:

Ctrl+Alt+Dlt > Task Manager > Processes tab (or more details arrow nowadays). It will indicate how much it uses as a baseline. It will be tiny.