Is the corsair H55 sufficient for the new ryzen

I've decided to buy the new 3700x when it comes out and do you think that the corsair h55 will be good enough for it? I want to be able to overclock it a decent bit too.

it is, but id suggest getting a high end aircooler over a 120mm AIO unless you are super contrained for space. 

i'd have to ask my crystal ball as we don't know as we don't have those chips yet, but probably most likely it will be OK, but it's honestly never worth buying a 120mm AIO for a CPU, you'll get equal performance from a Nice Air Cooler at half the cost and this is coming from someone that has a custom loop in one computer and a AIO and EVGA Hybrid kit in the other desktop, so both my GPU's and Both my CPU's are under water, I would use nothing less then a 240mm AIO for a CPU if going the AIO route, it will allow you to keep things quieter and cooler when you OC.

5 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

i'd have to ask my crystal ball as we don't know as we don't have those chips yet, but probably most likely it will be OK, but it's honestly never worth buying a 120mm AIO for a CPU, you'll get equal performance from a Nice Air Cooler at half the cost and this is coming from someone that has a custom loop in one computer and a AIO and EVGA Hybrid kit in the other desktop, so both my GPU's and Both my CPU's are under water, I would use nothing less then a 240mm AIO for a CPU if going the AIO route, it will allow you to keep things quieter and cooler when you OC.

I kinda get where you are coming from, but I don't really agree. I have a Corsair H75 currently cooling a 1231v3 but in the future probably a Ryzen 3600(X). The reason I have this cooler is because I wanted a decent water cooler for the looks, but also something small since I want to get a micro-ATX case. Plus it's cheaper than a good quality 240mm AiO.

(I'm not that much into overclocking so that helps).

PSU tier list // Motherboard tier list // Community Standards 

My System:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Gigabyte RTX 3060TI Gaming OC ProFractal Design Meshify C TG, 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz, MSI B450 Gaming Plus MaxSamsung 850 EVO 512GB, 2TB WD BlueCorsair RM850x, LG 27GL83A-B

22 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

it is, but id suggest getting a high end aircooler over a 120mm AIO unless you are super contrained for space. 

Do you have any suggestions because i can get a used h55 for around 50 dollars

Just now, erikeriok1 said:

Do you have any suggestions because i can get a used h55 for around 50 dollars

Arctic freezer 33/34 esports. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/sVYLrH/arctic-freezer-33-esports-one-blackred-cpu-cooler-acfre00042a

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/r3xfrH/arctic-cooling-cpu-cooler-ucacop0900csb01

Good aircoolers are better than small or cheap AIOs.

6 minutes ago, martward said:

(I'm not that much into overclocking so that helps).

KEY PHRASE, not doing any overclocking then damn near any cooler will work, unless you are pushing hardware to it's limits you can't see whats happening, I had my Ryzen 7 1700 right on the edge of Black Screening (something I've only ever seen with Ryzen CPU's, the screen just goes black and you have to hit the reset button) with the stock cooler, but slapping my H100i V2 on it dropped temps by over 20c even with a slightly higher OC that I couldn't achieve before swapping the cooler.

13 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

KEY PHRASE, not doing any overclocking then damn near any cooler will work, unless you are pushing hardware to it's limits you can't see whats happening, I had my Ryzen 7 1700 right on the edge of Black Screening (something I've only ever seen with Ryzen CPU's, the screen just goes black and you have to hit the reset button) with the stock cooler, but slapping my H100i V2 on it dropped temps by over 20c even with a slightly higher OC that I couldn't achieve before swapping the cooler.

Exactly, I was mostly responding to you saying it's never worth buying a 120mm AiO. I fully agree with you on the rest.

PSU tier list // Motherboard tier list // Community Standards 

My System:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Gigabyte RTX 3060TI Gaming OC ProFractal Design Meshify C TG, 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz, MSI B450 Gaming Plus MaxSamsung 850 EVO 512GB, 2TB WD BlueCorsair RM850x, LG 27GL83A-B

1 minute ago, martward said:

Exactly, I was mostly responding to you saying it's never worth buying a 120mm AiO. I fully agree with you on the rest.

OK, I meant NEVER, unless you just can't fit anything else because your case won't allow for an Air Cooler cause you're one of those weirdo's that want a PC I can't even install RAM into cause my hands are to big, LOL, and can fit in your backpack. (Joking on that Weirdo part) You know like that DAN case thing.

But seriously, I have enough trouble building in something the size of the regular full ATX Meshify C, I couldn't imagine trying to build a Micro-ATX or smaller system.

30 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

i can get one new for the same prize as the AIO and i have the nzxt h500

3 minutes ago, erikeriok1 said:

i can get one new for the same prize as the AIO and i have the nzxt h500

One new what?

I mean AIOs below the 100$ mark are not worth it. They have loud pumps among other things.

Just now, GoldenLag said:

One new what?

I mean AIOs below the 100$ mark are not worth it. They have loud pumps among other things.

A new arctic freezer 33 esports edition :)

1 minute ago, erikeriok1 said:

A new arctic freezer 33 esports edition :)

Sounds good. There are some better at a higher pricepoint. Around 70$. But the arctic freezer 33 are sort of unbeatable

• 8 months later...

I got a free brand new Corsair H55 because my coworker had an AMD build and it wouldn’t fit. I gladly took it, thanked him, went home and ordered the Corsair H55 AMD Retention Bracket Kit for $4.99 and in 2 days I had a new cooler. 

Everyone is saying spending $60-70 on a Corsair H55 isn’t worth it, but when you get an unopened one for free and only spend $5 on a bracket to attach it to your AMD motherboard, Id say it’s totally worth it!

Ill most likely use the Corsair H55 when I upgrade to the 3700x for a bit and then buy a NZXT Kraken X62 280mm or the Corsair Hydro H100i Platinum RGB 240mm to replace the Corsair H55 since I’ll be overclocking the 3700X. That’s only if the H55 isn’t cooking the 3700x well enough. We’ll see what happens. 

30 minutes ago, Optimus KevTron said:

Everyone is saying spending $60-70 on a Corsair H55 isn’t worth it, but when you get an unopened one for free and only spend $5 on a bracket to attach it to your AMD motherboard, Id say it’s totally worth it!

Saying its only worth it if you get it for free is the same as saying it is not worth buying it. The statement that it isn't worth $60-70 still holds true.