What are some Tips for the SAT

BlockedTheShot

For my birthday, march 9(turning 17), i am celebrating by...taking the SAT.

What are some tips for the SAT(i have already studied beforehand as far back as october)?

Damn....

Get a good night's sleep, eat something you like beforehand. Try to be calm and methodical. Take a shower! Wear comfortable clothes. Bring more than one pencil. 

And many other things...

Also, good luck!

Screwdriver specs: Long, pointy. Turns things. Some kind of metal.

Main rig: 

i9-7900x | Asus X299-Prime | 4x8GB G-Skill TridentZ @3300MHz | Samsung 970 Evo 500GB | Intel 5400S 1TB | Corsair HX1200

unRAID server:

Xeon  E5-1630v4 |  Asus X99-E WS | 4x8GB G-Skill DDR4 @2400MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB cache drive | 12TB spinning rust | Corsair RM750X

FreeNAS server:

AMD something-or-other | Asus prebuilt sadness | 8GB DDR3-1600 | 9TB magnetic storage | Potential fire threat

HTPC:

i7-4790 | GTX1650 | Dell Sadness | 12GB DDR3-1600 | Samsung 860 250GB | 1TB magnetic storage | James Loudspeaker SPL3 x2 | Corsair SF450

Some people say you don't improve much even if you take it multiple times. Some think the opposite. I took it once and got a 1640/2400. It was better than the grades I had on my transcript lol, I test well. I know it's out of 1600 again now, you can do the math (I hope). But the above is pretty good.

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

52 minutes ago, Cereal5 said:

Some people say you don't improve much even if you take it multiple times. Some think the opposite. I took it once and got a 1640/2400. It was better than the grades I had on my transcript lol, I test well. I know it's out of 1600 again now, you can do the math (I hope). But the above is pretty good.

I know from experiences with the psat where I raised my score 250 points from the 8th grade psat to 10th grade psat(took it in 9th grade) just by learning some techniques on how to take the test. But the following year(took it yet again in 10th grade) i made barely any improvement at all. I think it will probably vary for me.

Damn....

Best tip is that SAT will not get you a job if you do well or not.

Stinkpci5 3550. DDR3 1600mhz 8GB. Gigabyte GA-H61N-USB3.0. Sapphire RX 570 Nitro 4GB oc. Noctua NH-L12. WD Black 600GB. Silverstone PSU 1KW. Advent 1440x900 75hz VGA monitor 1ms. Acer Veriton M464 chassis.

Self help guide.

On 3/7/2019 at 4:15 AM, BetterThanLife said:

Best tip is that SAT will not get you a job if you do well or not.

You can get some eyes on you with a perfect score, but really the sort of attention you attract with a HS standardized test is not the sort of attention that gets you a good job.

Colleges, eeeeh, personally if I had gotten rejected due to a low SAT score I'd be glad they told me upfront how thoughtlessly they manage things. After being an inhuman number for 12 years, the last thing you want is to continue to be a number.

OP, best tip I've got is to remember that on the language parts (especially the essay), often times they're not actually testing you on your ability but rather on what boxes they can tick off. You can write like Hemingway and lose points because you didn't have enough paragraphs, while you can write like a 6th grader and get full marks because you followed the 'correct' ABCD structure or whatever it is.

... Which is bullshit, but hey, the SAT is what the SAT is.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

9 minutes ago, Dash Lambda said:

OP, best tip I've got is to remember that on the language parts (especially the essay), often times they're not actually testing you on your ability but rather on what boxes they can tick off. You can write like Hemingway and lose points because you didn't have enough paragraphs, while you can write like a 6th grader and get full marks because you followed the 'correct' ABCD structure or whatever it is.

... Which is bullshit, but hey, the SAT is what the SAT is.

SAT : Scoring-sheet Aptitude Test

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

8 hours ago, Dash Lambda said:

You can get some eyes on you with a perfect score, but really the sort of attention you attract with a HS standardized test is not the sort of attention that gets you a good job.

Colleges, eeeeh, personally if I had gotten rejected due to a low SAT score I'd be glad they told me upfront how thoughtlessly they manage things. After being an inhuman number for 12 years, the last thing you want is to continue to be a number.

The SAT is a standardized test which tests based on knowledge. The point is if you went to a horrible high school and you end up with great grades but know nothing, you won’t do well on the SAT, and colleges will see your gap.

@BlockedTheShot

I reccomend you take the SAT multiple times, as you only have to send colleges your highest score (and in some cases your highest section score.) . Check out The Collegeboard-Khan Academy collab where they have videos and practice over everything on the SAT for free if you make an account and link your college board account. Check out R/SAT for practice and tips for the next time you take it. I’d recommend prepping a month before you take it again(going over old material, doing practice tests).

9 hours ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

SAT : Scoring-sheet Aptitude Test

In singapore is Stupid American test

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K @4.9 GHz 6-Core Processor CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU CoolerMotherboard: MSI - Z370I GAMING PRO CARBON AC Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard Memory: PNY - Anarchy 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 @3000 MemoryStorage: 960 evo 500gbVideo Card:place holderCase: Phanteks - Enthoo EVOLV ITX TG (Black) Mini ITX Desktop Case Power Supply:SeaSonic - EVO Edition 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 pwm 59.5 CFM  140mm Fan Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 PWM High-Speed 73.3 CFM  120mm Fan Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 PWM High-Speed 73.3 CFM  120mm Fan Monitor: Dell - S2716DG 27.0" 2560x1440 144Hz Monitor Mouse: Place holder Sony H.ear on Wireless Noise Cancelling Headphone, Charcoal Black (MDR100ABN/B)  LEOBOG K26 Wired RGB Mechanical Keyboard,Gaming Keyboard,RGB Color Backlight,104 Key,Anti-Ghosting For Full Key,Blue Switches,Aluminum Chassis,Detachable wrist rest,PC,Computer, Laptop,BLACK (Black)EZDIY-FAB Sleeved Cable - Cable extension for power supply with extra-sleeved 24 PIN 8PIN 6PIN 4+4 PIN With COMBS- Black Grey

pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/resdal42/saved/sCW6XL

Do the practice tests in the practice book

for the essay, well... I forgot how to phrase the method but books you read in class are good