Morality of playing a cracked game

Ebony Falcon

My opinion on using a hacked game as a person who used hacked software for a lot of years.

do i approve : not exactly 

If you want to try out a game to see if it works on your system, or you are curious about a new genre i usually would have said: 
"Sure go right ahead, try that hacked game but do watch out for malicious software"
"Be sure to buy the game and support the developer if it is a game you liked" 

Did you buy every piece of software you used these last years Christian? 
"well you won't believe me but i think i've bought almost every game that i played for at least 40 hours in these last decades. Granted a lot of those games where bought during steam sales with great discount but.. i did buy them!"

Do you feel guilty about your past behaviour?
"again yes and no... I feel a bit ashamed that i couldn't be someone more on that age who was satisfied with what he had and worked hard to obtain everything he wanted"

thats about it! 

I used to crack. In fact, even if I bought a game, I'd nearly always get the no CD crack simply so I could play the damn thing without having to dive into my cupboard to find the CD (and then discover that my younger brother had borrowed it, put another CD in the box, and go on a fetch quest just to be able to start playing).

As with music, when games became easier to just buy through legit channels, I hung up my skull and crossbones and cutlass.

Reasons I support playing cracked games:

• In some countries certain games have been banned
  • Some countries don't have the game available for purchase
  • Some older games which don't have support of the original developers (I once had a game where the fix was bundled with the crack)
  • A multiplayer game may have had their official servers shut down and a community-run one may spring up for a cracked version

For me I downloaded a cracked version of Monster Hunter Portable 3rd since it was a Japan/Korea exclusive and still wanted to play it.

Prior to me being aware of GoG and DoSbox there were some cracked versions of games that also supplied ways to make the games run on modern hardware.

With Humble Bundle and Steam Deals existing you can be pretty sure that the game you're after is going to be on there sometime;

If it's brand new, you like the game, you like the company behind it then why not support them? 

That's my view on it

I usually wait for sales. Some people can't wait. I used to download cracked games. Not anymore, you never know what has been done to the game files. There might be viruses.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

I don't support copyright, full stop. 

That said, I pay for any game I actually play (e.g. more than 2 hours), and I try anything that looks at all interesting, and am almost never interested these days.