Morality of playing a cracked game

Ebony Falcon
On 3/7/2019 at 12:31 PM, fasauceome said:

I would say it is different. Nintendo developing and then publishing their own games on their own platform is different from something like, say, Bloodborne, made by from software but purchased by Sony. From software doesn't think their product is only fit for PS4, their contract just says that's how it is.

Bloodborne wouldn't have been made without Sony putting money into it. Why do you think Sony would subsidize Steam or XBox? Same reason I don't feel entitled to play games like Bayonetta 2 on PC or PS4 or Cuphead on PS4.

On 3/7/2019 at 11:28 AM, clearskyy said:

My computer science professors taught me that all software should be free. I've stood by that belief for a long time.

Only makes sense if rent, healthcare, groceries, utilities, and hookers are all free too tbh

On 3/9/2019 at 1:08 PM, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Only makes sense if rent, healthcare, groceries, utilities, and hookers are all free too tbh

Let me put it this way, do you sell the software that generates reports or the reports itself? Y'all aren't thinking of this the correct way lol.

On 3/7/2019 at 9:28 AM, clearskyy said:

My computer science professors taught me that all software should be free. I've stood by that belief for a long time.

Of course.

I'm not selling you the software itself. I'm selling you my services to create it and maintain it. :)

Morality, like fashion, changes all the time and varies from culture to culture. For example, during my childhood copying and sharing stuff was the most natural thing to do. I still remember kids in Kindergarten giving out copies of some children's cassette tape for everyone during their birthdays and this was fine with everyone involved, which also included all the parents of every kid and the people working there. People went to the cinema with their new shiny video cameras and just recorded the movies and then distributed copies in their neighborhood. This was all completely socially and morally acceptable for everyone involved.

Until at some point it wasn't anymore. But the new moral imperative just never stuck with me. Copying and sharing, to me, feels like the right thing to do.

16 hours ago, Bramimond said:

Copying and sharing, to me, feels like the right thing to do.

Then why don't you work for free? For some people like me software development is my job. Our product is a banking product. If we gave it for free how would it possible for us to live? That's just an example to give you the big image. Of course you can make money through support and maintenance etc etc but that's not the point. Copying and sharing might feel like the right thing to do, but for that to be the norm for everything and keep everyone satisfied, means we would live in a Utopia and not the real world.

Of course it's morally wrong in the majority of cases. You're using a program that you didn't pay for. The only time I don't think it's wrong is if you can't purchase the software.

i5-4670K ~ RX 470 ~ Z87MX-D3H ~ MX300 525GB ~ CM Hyper 212+ ~ 12GB 1600MHz Ram ~ EarthWatts 650 ~ NZXT GAMMA ~ WD Blue 250GB

55 minutes ago, plsno said:

Of course it's morally wrong in the majority of cases. You're using a program that you didn't pay for. The only time I don't think it's wrong is if you can't purchase the software.

well i couldnt purchase it becasue of lack of funds

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper 

Morality is fickle - Slavery was Moral only a few GENERATIONS ago.

Think about that before you worry about how SOCIETY defines MORALITY.

You know in your heart already whether what you are doing is acceptable to you, or not.  Why does Societies version of Morality matter to you at all?

Now if you want my OPINION on the MORALITY of this - you have it above.  However in my case of using cracked software (any time possible) - Im not making money off the software Im not worried about paying for it.  If I were to use the software to make money, my personal morality would probably lend me to purchasing it (perhaps only after Ive made profits enough for it to pay for itself etc).  But that's a Maybe.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

Oh and...who cares what other people on the internet think about you using a Crack lol.  Their opinions are only based on a virtue signal, while in reality they are likely very non-virtuous people (not many people are at all).

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

9 hours ago, Settlerteo said:

Then why don't you work for free?

It's the wrong question to ask. The way I see it, people don't pay you for the software you made, but for the software you will make. Sharing things made for a broader audience is basically just advertising. People go out and buy through the official channels, if they like what they see. My father used to write for a living before retirement (and really, he can't stop doing just that) and I'm doing software, too. Generally speaking, your fellow man ain't evil.

On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 1:15 PM, Bramimond said:

Morality, like fashion, changes all the time and varies from culture to culture. For example, during my childhood copying and sharing stuff was the most natural thing to do. I still remember kids in Kindergarten giving out copies of some children's cassette tape for everyone during their birthdays and this was fine with everyone involved, which also included all the parents of every kid and the people working there. People went to the cinema with their new shiny video cameras and just recorded the movies and then distributed copies in their neighborhood. This was all completely socially and morally acceptable for everyone involved.

Until at some point it wasn't anymore. But the new moral imperative just never stuck with me. Copying and sharing, to me, feels like the right thing to do.

The memory of the masses last 4 years (as seen in Election cycles) - its a funny thing to me

17 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

The memory of the masses last 4 years (as seen in Election cycles) - its a funny thing to me

I've seen this last far less, depending on what's being discussed.

Then again there's the old saying: you're only as good as your last show.

It's not like the companies are really interested in adding local payment methods, cash, just to name it, so I just pirate the games

If they're not interested in me why should I give them money? I'm the Chad.

el2DAtu.png

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

5 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

I've seen this last far less, depending on what's being discussed.

Then again there's the old saying: you're only as good as your last show.

Agree bwuahahaha

Pic of Elian Gonzalez cause Morality (and a reference to how quickly a parties stance changes 180 degrees)

Elian.jpg

On 3/12/2019 at 1:06 PM, Ebony Falcon said:

well i couldnt purchase it becasue of lack of funds

I meant that the software wasn't available for purchase. 

i5-4670K ~ RX 470 ~ Z87MX-D3H ~ MX300 525GB ~ CM Hyper 212+ ~ 12GB 1600MHz Ram ~ EarthWatts 650 ~ NZXT GAMMA ~ WD Blue 250GB

More often than not, I don't support piracy.  The only times I even resort to it are when I want to learn some pieces of software which would cost close to £2,000+ to buy with no trial or demo etc.

If people put work in on something, they should get paid for it.

M/Board: Gigabyte AORUS X470 Ultra Gaming || CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X || Cooler: Wraith MAX || RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB || GPU: ASIS Strix Radeon Vega 56 || Storage: WD Black 500GB NVMe & 2TB Seagate BarraCuda HDD || Case: Sahara P35 RGB mid-tower || PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G1 650W

Art Tablets: UGEE 15.6" Graphics Monitor & XP-Pen 15.6" Display Tablet

On 3/7/2019 at 5:28 PM, clearskyy said:

I can really only assume that this is a troll comment, but...

If that were the case, I guess you don't need to be paid at work either?  Software development is a job, if software is free, no one gets paid to do it.  With that in mind, I guess you should start donating all of your wages to charity?

M/Board: Gigabyte AORUS X470 Ultra Gaming || CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X || Cooler: Wraith MAX || RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB || GPU: ASIS Strix Radeon Vega 56 || Storage: WD Black 500GB NVMe & 2TB Seagate BarraCuda HDD || Case: Sahara P35 RGB mid-tower || PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G1 650W

Art Tablets: UGEE 15.6" Graphics Monitor & XP-Pen 15.6" Display Tablet

On 3/7/2019 at 5:28 PM, clearskyy said:

How do the developers who make the product monetise in this way? It takes a lot of resources to develop solutions, I'd be interesting to know the model you're thinking of that could be an alternative instead as there are many situations where subscription/ad models would be not well suited? I appreciate the sentiment but I can't think of a way that'd work in the current climate although again, I'd be interested to know if there is one.

@ op My opinion is if you don't have the money for it then it's ok to crack a game. It's not good for the developers sure but you need to consider your own happiness also. You can also become a potential customer in the future that you might not have been otherwise. If you do have the money/are in a position to earn the money for a game then I think you should pay but if you've already played it then there's no point. If you got hung up on all the things you should have done because you were 'morally incorrect' you'd be broke, just note what you did for next time and move on. Tbh I think it also depends what type of person you want to be i.e. for me I try to do what my opinion of reasonable is which is usually the 'moral' thing to do but sometimes it's not and I think it's ok to disagree as long as it's my opinion of reasonable.

On 3/6/2019 at 6:59 PM, Ebony Falcon said:

So I downloaded a metro exodus crack and I really like the game, I feel like I should probly buy the game now as I feel bad 

what’s the community’s general consensus on it ?

<Pulls a shiny rock from his pocket and tosses it over the pond>

Define "morality" and determine if morality is absolute or relative.

There's your answer.

Bought a virtual warranty for my virtual machine. Cost me virtually nothing!

I play cracked games just to try to see whether its worth to buy it or not.

That being said, There are times when i wont buy the games especially from a big developer such as EA..i would never buy Battlefront 2.

As for indie games, I will try the games first, if its worth it then i will buy it..if its not, i wont play it at all.

However there are cases when i have no choice but the play the cracked version such as the walking dead series..

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

I love Dark Souls lore, Mice and Milk tea  ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

I can conquer the world with one hand,As long as you hold the other -Unknown

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

Most of the single player games I played were pirated. I have a bunch of them installed on my computer right now. 

Why I do this? Because I live in a poor Eastern European country where most people make as little as 300-500 euros a month for a full time job. Tech is more expensive than in the US, so funding a midrange computer is completely out of many people's reach. Paying 60 euro for a singleplayer game that you can get for free off of a torrent is virtually equal to throwing money away. In fact, for decades, paying ANY money on a video game was almost considered a taboo here. 

Gray markets and Steam sales have somewhat lessened this issue, making it possible for me to buy multiplayer games I want to play (or indie singleplayer games that I can't find on torrents) on a whim, whereas previously I likely would've passed simply because there are few multiplayer games that keep me interested for longer than 5-10 hours and that's simply not worth the 60 euro retail price. 

Also, even if I lived in a western country and had a normal paycheck, I'd still pirate Epic Store, EA, and Activision games, or buy them heavily discounted on gray markets, because screw those companies and their business practices.

So, yeah, where I live, I'd say the vast majority of people who download cracked games have zero qualms about it. It's either torrents, or you don't get to enjoy those games at all. Same goes for movies, music, TV series, ebooks, etc.

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

With games i pirate to try, buy if i like. I also balance the value, if i feel like a game doesn't give me 60€ worth of value i will wait for a sale/discount and then buy. But multiple game platforms still annoys me and with other media content like tv it is just much worse.

If i want to watch The Grand Tour, GOT & Stranger Things i need a 6€ amazon, 13.2€ HBO & another 13.2/17€ Netflix subscription. Counterpart looks cool, wanna watch that, that's another 8€ Starz subscription that isn't even available in my country. The kids wants Disney's upcoming streaming service, that's another potential 6€ or YoutubeTV or....., it just continues because now, everyone wants their own freaking streaming service and you end up paying a lot of money for it all. Fuck, that!

Do'h, you can just unsubscribe. To that i answer, i seriously have better things to do than juggle streaming subscriptions every few months because someone in the household wants to watch something on a service we don't have, stopped watching something on a service we do have or forgot to mention they stopped using a service we've been paying for all along.

Pirating is just so much easier. Network storage that automatically downloads what's wanted and router set up with VPN, the library is available to every device, everywhere. Boom, done!

Netflix tried and i happily paid, it went well for a while and now it's all going down hill to where we were with tv packages.

Nope....Just nope.