If Only One Can Be Wired... Which should it be?

bmichaels556

If you could ONLY currently wire one device... Your home server, OR the device you primarily send/receive data to/from the server... Which would you benefit by the most as far as latency, and speed?

Both devices on 2.4ghz, I'm getting about 8-12MB/s speeds when sending to my network folder(s) wirelessly. I'd imagine wiring even one of them would improve latency, as well as speed. But which one being wired would help most?

22 minutes ago, bmichaels556 said:

If you could ONLY currently wire one device... Your home server, OR the device you primarily send/receive data to/from the server... Which would you benefit by the most as far as latency, and speed?

Both devices on 2.4ghz, I'm getting about 8-12MB/s speeds when sending to my network folder(s) wirelessly. I'd imagine wiring even one of them would improve latency, as well as speed. But which one being wired would help most?

Technically it doesnt really matter which, but the server is what should have the most reliable connection.

Assuming both are using identical wireless NICs the benefit will only be as high as the bottleneck removed by switching one to Ethernet. So, the question kind of doesn't make sense because the performance will be the same either way.

Now if you have a particularly good ISP plan and you do a lot of away from home things then a wired server would definitely be better. However it's a general standard to have your servers wired and if clients have to be wireless it's OK. So it depends on your use case. I can really only think of a lot of remote access making a wired server beneficial if only one device can be wired.

But why can you only attach one device to the wired connection? Even if you're out of ports a gigabit switch is cheap on amazon.

PC Specs:

CPU: AMD 1700x Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VI Hero RAM: 4 * 8GB G.Skill RGB DDR4 Graphics: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 500GB Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: EVGA 750w G3 Monitors: Dell SG2716DG +  2x Dell U2515H

Freenas specs:

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2650 V2 Cooler: Some noctua cooler Motherboard: Supermicro X9 SRL-F RAM: 8 * 8GB Samsung DDR3 ECC Storage: 6 * 4TB Seagate 7200 RPM RAIDZ2 Controller: LSI H220 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro PSU: EVGA 650w G3

Phone: iPhone 6S 32 GB Space Grey