Slower Speeds

roaduwu

Hello.

I had a general question hoping it to be answered here.

I own a 2018 Mac Book pro and over wifi I get around 110mb down and 7 Up, I also built a  new custom built gaming desktop m1 2018, on which I tend to only get 50mb on speed tests and around10mb when downloading steam games, I am inquiring as to why this is possibly an issue or as to how to fix it. 

Anyone with a general piece of advice or insight into the situation please respond below.

Thank You

5 minutes ago, roaduwu said:

Hello.

I had a general question hoping it to be answered here.

I own a 2018 Mac Book pro and over wifi I get around 110mb down and 7 Up, I also built a  new custom built gaming desktop m1 2018, on which I tend to only get 50mb on speed tests and around10mb when downloading steam games, I am inquiring as to why this is possibly an issue or as to how to fix it. 

Anyone with a general piece of advice or insight into the situation please respond below.

Thank You

The wifi card could be not that great or the signal isn't as good. If you can get a better wifi card and swap that in.

Discord: Skyline#0820

Literally an idiot, don't listen to me.

Main computer: i5-4690k 4.3GHz, Noctua NH-D15, Nitro+ RX 580 SE, 16GB Corsair Vengeance, Samsung 840 series 128GB Crucial MX500 2TB, WD Purple 3TB, EVGA 600w, Dell s2240m 1080p 60hz, Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue, Logitech G502 Hero.

Asus GU501gm

One thing to note is that, by default, steam downloads in Megabytes (MB) which will appear "slow" but once converted to Megabits (Mb), which is how internet speed is sold/shown/etc., you'll see you're actually getting about 80Mbps which is pretty decent. (1MB = 8Mb). Not sure why you're getting only 50Mbps on Speedtest though but it could be any number of factors including the selected server.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Could be one uses 2.4 ghz and the other uses 5 ghz...

Could be the mac has 3 antennas so connects to your router in 3x3 mode getting a higher peak throughput, while the wireless card on your pc may be with just 1 or 2 antennas, so max 2x2 configuration (lower maximum throughput)