600Wt PSU but efficient on low-level wattage

LightParticle

Looking for PSU on ~600Wt (Ryzen 5 2600 OC + GTX 1080) but most of the time I will not use all amount of wattage, so I need to buy PSU for 600Wt but efficient (in terms of electricity consumption) on low-level wattage using.

Budget are is realtively  econom, it means I can pay some extra for efficiency or quality.

Can advice some models or brands? Or like any Corsair/beQuiet/what-not will be good?

PSUs are most efficient in the middle of their wattage allowance, if you really need it efficient with low wattage, you'll want to look for something that has 80+ gold or better. 

Is there a reason you need 600 watts? a 2600 and a 1080 will be like 300 watts.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/sYyxFT/seasonic-focus-plus-platinum-550w-80-platinum-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-ssr-550px

this might be a good choice

Edited by fasauceome

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

3 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Is there a reason you need 600 watts? a 2600 and a 1080 will be like 300 watts.

Oh, Yeah.. but this is the what CoolerMaster calculator said me....

5 minutes ago, Wufflez said:

PSUs are most efficient in the middle of their wattage allowance

I guess so... this is one the reason too why I'm looking like 600Wt.

4 minutes ago, StewySphinx65 said:

If you have a price range I can make some suggestions for you, are we talking less than $100 or up to $200?

I think about 100 dollars, but I live in another country actually. 100$ in our market is what like mid-range PSU cost.

3 minutes ago, LightParticle said:

CoolerMaster calculator

Now there's your problem. That calculator is known to vastly overestimate the recommended PSU wattage. I linked a decent PSU above.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 minutes ago, LightParticle said:

lesson 1 in PSUs: don't trust calculators, just look up the power use in reviews and count it up

3 minutes ago, LightParticle said:

but I live in another country actually.

which one?

5 minutes ago, LightParticle said:

Here's some food for thought. If a company that made the power supply calculator also makes power supplies, then maaaaybe they have a reason to tell you to get a more expensive power supply than you actually need ;)?

I guess so... this is one the reason too why I'm looking like 600Wt.

I think about 100 dollars, but I live in another country actually. 100$ in our market is what like mid-range PSU cost.

Coolermaster only gives you a recommendation. A 600 watt psu isn't wrong exactly, just a little over kill. I'd look at psu's at maybe 500 watts. Maybe less. At $100 I'll look at some around that price. Would you like us to search $100 psu's in the US, or where are you located?

3 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Now there's your problem. That calculator is known to vastly overestimate the recommended PSU wattage. I linked a decent PSU above.

2 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

lesson 1 in PSUs: don't trust calculators, just look up the power use in reviews and count it up

Thanks guys, but what about 

11 minutes ago, Wufflez said:

?

2 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

which one?

Russia The Motherland

2 minutes ago, LightParticle said:

12 minutes ago, Wufflez said:

?

more or less true, but it's not exact. Usually PSUs reach peak efficiency between like 30% to 70%, with a good amount around 40% or 50% load. Either way, it's not something to concern yourself with too much.

Primary PC:

12 minutes ago, Wufflez said:

1 minute ago, LightParticle said:

?

Image result for psu efficiency curve
This is the efficiency curve of a 1000 watt psu. You can see that it's not very efficient at 100-300 watts compared to 500 watts. This is a similar curve to all other psu's. That's why it's a waste of money and efficiency to get a psu that has too high wattage than you'll ever need.

16 minutes ago, Wufflez said:

?

Russia The Motherland

Here's some real world data for that if you want:

image.png.ae6bbae03d71723d335f4069a629a19c.png

Edit: Hah @Wufflez, seems like we had the exact same idea for a post!

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

more or less true, but it's not exact. Usually PSUs reach peak efficiency between like 30% to 70%, with a good amount around 40% or 50% load. Either way, it's not something to concern yourself with too much.

Yeah I may have generalized, around 30-60% is about right. You're right again. It's not something to be really worried about, but LightParticle is worried about it for whatever reason.

6 minutes ago, LightParticle said:

Russia The Motherland

i can't really check Russian pricing... so I'll keep it on a simple one

go to the psu tier list down my signature, select at least a tier c at 450 watts+ and be done with it

1 minute ago, Wufflez said:

Yeah I may have generalized, around 30-60% is about right. You're right again. It's not something to be really worried about, but LightParticle is worried about it for whatever reason.

New buyers get caught up in efficiency, but they all learn eventually that it's not usually so important.

Primary PC:

Just now, fasauceome said:

New buyers get caught up in efficiency, but they all learn eventually that it's not usually so important.

Mhm, a quality reliable unit that will last you a long time is what's important in a PSU.

1 minute ago, Wufflez said:

Mhm, a quality reliable unit that will last you a long time is what's important in a PSU.

the best for your money

that's where to look for everywhere

If i get right the diagrams what you have been provided and your opinions, I have a conclusion, the closer to the real wattage consumption to the wattage of the PSU, the better efficieny it will be? RIght? Or I just don't understand correlation between wattage capacity and consumption efficiency.

(Yeah, now I know I need to choose the reliability over the "efficiency", but...)

But another question  (I do not want to fade somebody but I want to clearify) I heard about my similar question about PSU efficiency this answer:

2. The overwattage PSU is become less sufficient as much as overpower is becoming more higher. Is is true?

It isn't true at all. 

I'm asked it because I heard something about High-wattage PSU efficient on LinusTechTips channel.

7 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Especially if you have a national power grid of ~230V. Your efficiency curve is automatically better by a few percent compared to 110V power grids.

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

34 minutes ago, LightParticle said:

If i get right the diagrams what you have been provided and your opinions, I have a conclusion, the closer to the real wattage consumption to the wattage of the PSU, the better efficieny it will be? RIght? Or I just don't understand correlation between wattage capacity and consumption efficiency.

(Yeah, now I know I need to choose the reliability over the "efficiency", but...)

But another question  (I do not want to fade somebody but I want to clearify) I heard about my similar question about PSU efficiency this answer:

2. The overwattage PSU is become less sufficient as much as overpower is becoming more higher. Is is true?

It isn't true at all. 

I'm asked it because I heard something about High-wattage PSU efficient on LinusTechTips channel.

Yes closer, but with a little overhead. So your system might draw around 350 watts at the max. So you'll want something that has 450-550 watts

2 hours ago, Wufflez said:

PSUs are most efficient in the middle of their wattage allowance,

They aren’t. In most power supplies it’s at 30%. Also doesn’t matter.

2 hours ago, LightParticle said:

but this is the what CoolerMaster calculator said me....

The coolermaster calculator is crap. The outervision one is even better, see what number you get out of that.

A good 550w is plenty.

1 hour ago, LightParticle said:

Or I just don't understand correlation between wattage capacity and consumption efficiency

It hardly exists, since the loads in your computer change. Ignore it.

But generally as PSU wattage increases, the low loads (60w) efficiency decreases.

What stores are you purchasing from and what’s your budget?

The Cybenetics ratings for Efficiency and Noise are much more reliable than the ancient 80+ ratings.

4 hours ago, LightParticle said:

Looking for PSU on ~600Wt (Ryzen 5 2600 OC + GTX 1080) but most of the time I will not use all amount of wattage, so I need to buy PSU for 600Wt but efficient (in terms of electricity consumption) on low-level wattage using.

Cooler Master V550.

There is no other alternative for a reasonable price.

If you want something with high efficiency at low loads.

4 hours ago, Wufflez said:

PSUs are most efficient in the middle of their wattage allowance, if you really need it efficient with low wattage, you'll want to look for something that has 80+ gold or better. 

That's not true and based on 3 points of measuring from the 80plus report.

If you have a Site with 10 or 20 points, it proves you wrong, as 30-40% is not "the middle of the Wattage", it depends on the PSU, the Design and so on.

You can't just claim that all are the same. YOu have to look at every individual unit!

4 hours ago, LightParticle said:

Outervision...

No, that one is not really true. I have a VEGA64 right now in my System and even I am not over 500W. But in the range of 400-450W or so at max. load...

3 hours ago, bowrilla said:

Especially if you have a national power grid of ~230V. Your efficiency curve is automatically better by a few percent compared to 110V power grids.

Yes and also especially flat.

So the talk about Peak Efficiency is not really relevant here as the difference between 20-80% from the best to the worst point is somewhere between 0,5% or, at worst, somewhere around 1% for 80plus Gold or better units.

Bronze unit usually seem to be differentiated from Gold units by crapping out on the end...

With more modern, better quality "Bronze" Units I've seen something up to 88% or even more and looking like a gold unit but falling a bit more at the end...

For example:

https://www.tweakpc.de/hardware/tests/netzteile/corsair_vengeance_650m_750m/s03.php

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Thanks for the replies, so if we could to return about "smart consumer worries" in a 1st post, can we give an answer about this:

If I will work on my Ryzen 5 2600 build over 95% in browser/office tasks, do I need to carry on about electricity waste of 550Wt PSU because of non-high efficiency on low-level wattage consumption, above 20% (or maybe even 10%) of PSU capacity?

I mean, how many watts do I will withdraw from the wall of non-gpu office/browser work task?

In graphics what you provided, efficieny start "works" on 150Wt consumption, but I doubt that office work will be on this level of consumption.

Why would you care about low load efficiency? You'll waist something like 7-10W:s with a normal psu on idle(under 70W) with Seasonic prime titanium that would be something like 5-6W. So that is something like 10days continuous operation to save 1kwh. If you want an efficient computer on low loads, look for laptops.

On 3/6/2019 at 8:16 PM, LightParticle said:

That's a very funny calculator. Actually, BQ's is kinda good approximate. Roughly 300w without oc, 340w with oc of GPU&CPU. AND I know that this calculator is not accurate either, it still overshoots. But way more realistic, than CM's offering..

Get Bitfenix Whisper M 550 gold, or Seasonic focus plus gold 550w, or even Be Quiet PP11 500w CM.

All gold, all modular, all under 100USD (at least in my country).

Névtelen.jpg

Life is really challenging. I don't always suceed: )