Solving the removable battery conundrum?

Let's see if I can solve this in one... Magnetically attached slimline battery case that transfers power to the phone via wireless "charging". The wireless power transfer tech is there already. So now you'd have a waterproof sealed battery and a waterproof sealed phone. You could even pick how bulky you want your battery / case to be depending on how much juice you need. As well, I'm pretty sure this would mean you could place the phone on a wireless charging station with no battery and just use it that way in a pinch.

Thoughts?

9 minutes ago, 0x6A7232 said:

The removable battery has more to do with planned obsolescence.

You can readily make a phone with a headphone jack, and removable battery that is water resistant.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

I guess  I'm meaning that you could pretty much make it water proof if you made both units completely sealed and only transfer the juice wirelessly.  But moisture  might defeat that, hmm.  Especially if wireless charging uses microwave.  EDIT: wait, the S5 was IP67??

From an engineering standpoint, making a device with a removable battery is a complete pain in the butt and very annoying for everything from parts costs to durability.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

38 minutes ago, CUDAcores89 said:

As long as we consumers keep buying devices without removable batteries, businesses will continue to make them.

If people ever wake up to the non-repairable nature of phones and simply stop buying them you can bet your ass Samsung and apple will start making phones with removable batteries.

what phone doesn't have a removable battery??????????????????????

3 hours ago, Alaradia said:

what phone doesn't have a removable battery??????????????????????

User removable battery, and pretty much every phone for the last 3 years

4 hours ago, Radioactive Snowman said:

User removable battery, and pretty much every phone for the last 3 years

name one all of them have been removable and all the phones ive owned also removable 

1 hour ago, Alaradia said:

name one all of them have been removable and all the phones ive owned also removable 

Galaxy s6 onwards arent removable

no iPhones had a removable battery 

Etc Etc

9 hours ago, Radioactive Snowman said:

Galaxy s6 onwards arent removable

no iPhones had a removable battery 

Etc Etc

all iphones batteries are removable just suction cup and boom its open as with all phones you take the back off then insert the battery 

8 hours ago, Alaradia said:

all iphones batteries are removable just suction cup and boom its open as with all phones you take the back off then insert the battery 

you cant just quickly swap out your iphone battery while walking through an airport though, thats the point I was trying to make. Obviously you can change the battery but carrying around 2 batteries and swapping them out as one dies is another story

On 3/6/2019 at 9:52 PM, Alaradia said:

Congratulations, you win the 31st annual Captain_Aggravated Yes, we get it, you're a pedantic little sod award. ?

"Removable battery" in the context of cell phones is universally understood to mean "designed to be quickly and easily interchanged by the end user via little to no disassembly of the phone, with few or no tools, and without voiding the warranty."  On my Galaxy S4 Mini, LG Enspire, and LG Ally, the back plate of the phone is simply clipped in place and can be peeled off by prying at a notch provided for this purpose, and then the battery simply lifts away from spring-loaded contacts.  A new battery can be dropped into place and the cover snapped back on.  The procedure for doing this is in the owner's manuals.  On my LG EnV2, the battery makes up most of the back surface of the phone itself.  Pull a little latch, the battery falls off, snap another one on.  In all cases, the battery packs are contained in rigid plastic or metal cases that make them durable enough to be handled or carried on their own, and were sold retail to end users as accessories.  Via replacing batteries, I've kept most of my phones in service for at least four years, my current one has been running for five.

It's also universally understood to mean devices who's spec sheets don't say "Battery:  Non-removable" on them. ?

On 3/7/2019 at 6:17 AM, Radioactive Snowman said:

you cant just quickly swap out your iphone battery while walking through an airport though, thats the point I was trying to make. Obviously you can change the battery but carrying around 2 batteries and swapping them out as one dies is another story

the other issue with carrying around 2 batteries is most of the time you cant buy a battery charger for the replaceable battery so you have to charge it in the phone then swap it which is pain. we wont realy see features like the useful till we get a phone with a dual battery that we can then swap one out without the phone shutting off and also sells a external battery charger similar issue as with laptops