Apple will now repair iPhones even those with unofficial, 3rd party batteries*

Source: CNET 

IMG_1099.jpeg.1eaa723617c7358417274cafd82fc439.jpeg

Apple has changed its rule about fixing iPhones with unauthorized batteries in them, according to French tech news site iGeneration and MacRumors. The policy has been updated since Feb. 28, and it allows Apple employees to repair broken iPhones even if you replaced the device's battery with a third-party model. This is a major shift in policy when Apple would previously refuse to service any iPhone with a third-party battery no matter the issue. The change is similar to 2017, when Apple loosened its restriction on repairing iPhones with third-party displays.

Citing internal documents from "three reliable sources," Macrumors also reported that if the issue is battery-related, Apple will replace the third-party battery with its own battery for a fee. However, if your iPhone has other unofficial components like microphones and sensors, Apple can still refuse service. 

Well it looks like Apple is finally realizing that they need to loosen up some of their restrictive policies on repair. It’s still not the hobbyist/DIY guy’s dream phone but still, I gotta give credit where it’s due. Apple was caught red handed throttling iPhones as the battery ages and Apple certified batteries maybe expensive so some people would opt for 3rd party batteries. 

I’m pretty sure this is a pure business move. Perhaps it’s their way of convincing iPhone owners to get the $100 AppleCare Protection Plan which extends warranty coverage. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

I had an iPhone 6 with a 3rd party battery installed because the original one was causing shutdowns. Glad to know Apple made this move when I no longer have that said phone lol.

You can bark like a dog, but that won't make you a dog.

You can act like someone you're not, but that won't change who you are.

Finished Crysis without a discrete GPU,15 FPS average, and a lot of heart

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Followed by the "Wow I need to buy the OS for a $100!?"

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

30 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

I’m pretty sure this is a pure business move.

Apple is a buisness, so yes, this is a business move. Lol

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Dear Apple,

Open up your parts warehouse to hobbyists and 3rd party repair people. We need those schematics and parts, and you're better off controlling how we get them than being at a loss. 

Sincerely,

Phuc Yu

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

1 hour ago, ARikozuM said:

Dear Apple,

Open up your parts warehouse to hobbyists and 3rd party repair people. We need those schematics and parts, and you're better off controlling how we get them than being at a loss. 

Sincerely,

Phuc Yu

Wouldn't it be better if they just went out of business because people woke up and realized their products aren't worth what they're charging for?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

2 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Wouldn't it be better if they just went out of business because people woke up and realized their products aren't worth what they're charging for?

I think it's unfair to say that. Apple charges the prices that people are willing to pay, and people pay them. They are running with the ideal business model. The phones aren't bad at all, and the iPad and Pencil are a breeze to draw with. I love Apple TV and the HomePod. 

If Apple wasn't around then Samsung would be charging just as much as Apple is now...somewhere around the $900-$1300 price range...

I'd prefer Samsung be the market leader.

At least some of their phones have expandable storage and headphone jacks. Maybe if they made a phone with that new Micro SD tech that can do 1tb Micro SD's, then the phone might be worth $1300.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

25 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

I prefer Apple products to most any of my Android (Note 4 is the only exception). I would like for them to get their head out of their a$$ and start allowing 3rd parties to further their reach into the market by allowing easy repairs, cheaper parts, and greener economy by recycling parts and phones. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

even though, I doubt this wont be a easy process for a normal customer. 

Not practical and cost effective at least

eg who would keep or even have 3rd party replacement documents?

okay even they dont need the docs, but the device is open up by third party which they could argue and charge much more like they used to

2 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

Dear Apple,

Sincerely,

Phuc Yu

That seems like a fake name.

Sincerely,

Fu King

1 hour ago, floofer said:

Sincerely,

Fu King

ArE yOu MaKiNg FuN oF mY lInEaGe?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

1 hour ago, floofer said:

Sincerely,

Fu King

39 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

ArE yOu MaKiNg FuN oF mY lInEaGe?

I don't see what's funny about Fu King or Phuc Yu. They're traditional names, like Saq Madiq

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

45 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

I don't see what's funny about Fu King or Phuc Yu. They're traditional names, like Saq Madiq

Not sure if this is appearing right on my screen. Better call my computer repair man Some Ting Wong

6 minutes ago, floofer said:

Not sure if this is appearing right on my screen. Better call my computer repair man Some Ting Wong

That's Captain Sum Ting Wong, sir 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

2 hours ago, floofer said:

Early diagnostic is in. Appears to be issue id 10T related. Uncertain if issue is contagious, quarantine advised. ;)

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

11 hours ago, SlimyPython said:

It kind fits here...

What a clown ?

/s

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

If the issue isn't related to battery (or the opening of the phone itself for 3rd party battery replacement), I see no reason why they'd refuse it. But some companies just straight out refuse even if the issue is entirely unrelated to the 3rd party fix or attachment.

32 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

If the issue isn't related to battery (or the opening of the phone itself for 3rd party battery replacement), I see no reason why they'd refuse it.

Because there's really no telling what the previous jackass did. It's the same reason why if I sold something on Craigslist and the person wanted to return it after they left my sight it would be a strong, 'absolutely not'.

I can fully understand not wanting to touch something that someone else mucked around in.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.