ASUS P11C M/4L Motherboard (Chipset Driver Issues)

Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,

Why are you running server 2012r2? Run 2016 or 2019? Windows server 2012r2 doesn't support coffee lake or 8xxx cpus. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/windows-processor-requirements#windows-server

If you need 2012r2, run it in a vm.

Hello everyone,

I put together a server just recently using the above motherboard, an I3-8100, 16GB of ECC DDR4 @ 2666mhz.

I got Windows Server 2012 R2 installed and downloaded the latest drivers from ASUS' website. Upon installing the chipset drivers it seemed odd. It didn't take hardly anytime at all and didn't even ask for a restart. I restarted the system and the drivers didn't install. I tried it from the DVD that came with the motherboard and it wouldn't work either. I tried several times and even tried the driver wizard and pointed it to the directory to no avail.

I wiped and reloaded it, this time updating Windows to the latest before installing the drivers. Same issue however I got a windows error dialog box that mentioned something about the software needing a later version of windows and that is wasn't compatible with the version I was attempting to install it on.

This is ridiculous because ASUS' website specifically lists drivers for Windows 2012 R2 on the support page for the drivers.

I even went to Intel's website and tried to find the chipset C24x and couldn't find anything. I only saw the C23x and lower chipsets mentioned.

I emailed ASUS and haven't received a response back yet.

Has anyone used this motherboard or have any recommendations to try?

If all fails I will try installing Windows server 2016, but I am trying to avoid that for a few reasons.

Thanks.

4 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Why are you running server 2012r2? Run 2016 or 2019? Windows server 2012r2 doesn't support coffee lake or 8xxx cpus. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/windows-processor-requirements#windows-server

If you need 2012r2, run it in a vm.

I never even thought to check the supported processors for 2012 R2.

Thank you very much. I will inform ASUS about this and use Windows Server 2016.

Cheers.

1 hour ago, JesseStillwell said:

I never even thought to check the supported processors for 2012 R2.

Thank you very much. I will inform ASUS about this and use Windows Server 2016.

Cheers.

THe board might support older supported cpus

Why the old versions, id run server 2019 if you can, and run older oses in vms.

10 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

THe board might support older supported cpus

Why the old versions, id run server 2019 if you can, and run older oses in vms.

No drivers on ASUS' website are listed for Server 2019; however, they would probably install and work for 2019.

Thanks for your insight, and I might reconsider using Server 2019 instead.