Advice: Best way to put GPU cards in 8x slots

Hi techies,

I am building an unraid server, with atleast 4 headless VMS (i.e. need space for 4 16x PCI-E GPU) 

A "4 workspaces 1 CPU" type of build 

CPUs:  Dual 2697 v2

Motherboard: X9DRD-7LN4F, which has 6 x PCI-E 8x slot.

Cases I have:  SC825TQ-R740LPB or Deep Silence 6 

Options: 

1. cutting the back off the slots and putting the cards in, some of the slots go through the heatsink for the south bridge (might even touch the heatsink)

2. I have tried PCI-E Express 8X to 16X Durable Adapter Riser Card Without Extended Cable #HNT but then i need to 3D print or make something to secure the card into the case as the plate is off centre, also with some cards I cover some of the usable outputs

3. Mounting the GPUs outside the cases on a miners bench and use PCI-E extender cables to run them (I cant find a miners bench that will fit the E-ATX board)

Aren't most 8x slots 16x size? 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

3 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Aren't most 8x slots 16x size? 

Yes, but not this motherboard. All are 8x slots that are closed at both ends.

18 minutes ago, DeeROz said:

1. cutting the back off the slots and putting the cards in, some of the slots go through the heatsink for the south bridge (might even touch the heatsink)

With the memory and CPU behind it, looks like a no go.

But what videocards do you want to use? And just for work? or gaming?

1 minute ago, Dujith said:

Yes, but not this motherboard. All are 8x slots that are closed at both ends.

With the memory and CPU behind it, looks like a no go.

But what videocards do you want to use? And just for work? or gaming?

Cut eh video card itself. I've done it before. You have to be careful, but it works just fine. Also, being a server board, the power to the PCIe slots is quite probably only 25 watts, so you'll either need a video card pulling under 25 watts, or suppliment it to the video card with 6/8pin power

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

I have a few 1030s lying around, a RX 580 and a 980. So I was hoping to use what I had. They will only be used for work

How would you cut the end the end of the video cards (does it have to be exactly on the 8x mark or just past it ?

6 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Cut eh video card itself. I've done it before. You have to be careful, but it works just fine. Also, being a server board, the power to the PCIe slots is quite probably only 25 watts, so you'll either need a video card pulling under 25 watts, or suppliment it to the video card with 6/8pin power

More concerned about the height with the memory and CPU cooler tbh. But that will depend on the videocard (length wise)

See the motherboard in question:

mbserver.png

12 hours ago, Dujith said:

More concerned about the height with the memory and CPU cooler tbh. But that will depend on the videocard (length wise)

See the motherboard in question:

mbserver.png

Yeah serverboards aren't concerned with PCIe video card sizes sadly...

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

I have had the unfortunate experience of cutting the back of a PCI-Express port before for the same purpose.

As you are doing this to a board which may be expensive to replace here is some advice;

• Measure the length of the cards before proceeding as some may impact the chipset heat sink and/or the CPU heat sink depending on length
  • Take in to account the PCIe card will have excess length on the slot so make sure this clears anything past the port
    *Side note* you can cut a x16 card down to x8 but it will be painful
  • Use a rotary tool at around 4000rpm to cut the rear of the plastic and get a helper to keep hoover suction to clear the debris
  • Do NOT cut the PCIe slot in the following manner as it will destroy the connections
    image.png.866b69e88f1fac75401f949146f01998.png
  • You can however cut the PCIe slot plastic in the correct manner to prevent damage :) but BE VERY CAREFUL
    image.png.d5c01486c6e6724146ef9132e5885c20.png
  • Be incredibly careful, I would recommend the board be fixed to something before proceeding.  I used a removable base plate from an old case.

I take no responsibility for you wrecking a motherboard, I would probably suggest doing a test run on an old board you give zero shits about before getting involved.

Please quote or tag me if you need a reply

To clarify, you would not let the extra pci-e lanes on the gpu go through the heat sink on the board

mbserver.png.737d34dd1d7b9a3a5d9b81126d75eb9c.png.77c0b683d2da1d524caef751206a81c4.png

9 hours ago, DeeROz said:

To clarify, you would not let the extra pci-e lanes on the gpu go through the heat sink on the board

mbserver.png.737d34dd1d7b9a3a5d9b81126d75eb9c.png.77c0b683d2da1d524caef751206a81c4.png

They will short out if they touch any of the metal contacts on the PCIe connection.  You could tape off the end of the x16 connection but it would be complete luck if the fins on the heatsink allow for the 2x PCIe slots to have full length cards.  You can try putting cards in the slots and seeing if they touch anything on the heatsink, if they do use electrical tape to mask it off.

Please quote or tag me if you need a reply