Auto-moderate threads with links in the title

JoostinOnline
Go to solution Solved by colonel_mortis,

It's not possible to filter the title separately from the content. The majority of spam is being caught before it hits the forum though, and the rest is automatically removed after a small number of Bot Spam reports.

We are considering more effective solutions, but they are long term. For now, we are just actively blacklisting the spam that does come in.

I don't know how flexible the Invision forum software is when it comes to auto-moderate filters, but I've noticed a lot of spam posts lately with a website link in the title. If you could create a filter that required such posts to be approved it would cut down on a lot of spam, and require less reporting.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

I think the current system works fine, I don't see nearly as much spam as on other forums

75% of what I say is sarcastic

So is the rest probably

Require all posts from new users to be manually approved by a moderator/block all non-latin characters/don't allow links in new members' posts (to prevent spam)
There are far too many posts for manual approval to be remotely feasible, and the other suggestions would adversely affect legitimate content too. We have a number of spam filtering systems in place, so the vast majority of the spam is caught before it is posted.

This has been asked a few times before. It's on the "Declined Suggestions" list, so I don't expect they'll do it any time soon.

I do see a fair bit of spam on the forum. If you see it, just report it. I believe the way the current auto-mod system works is after X number of reports for spam it hides the content until it gets reviewed by a moderator. Couple people hitting the report button and it goes pretty quick so it's really not that much of an issue, usually only up for a few minutes.

@JoostinOnline Out here suggesting features for the forum and yet he still hasn't fixed his profile gif smh :P

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

2 hours ago, James Evens said:

It would work for a few hours. They will notice it and remove the url from the tittle.

No they won't. Bots don't adapt to small stuff like that. I've got it on my forum, but it's a completely different software so I have no idea if filtering is even possible on here.

2 hours ago, myselfolli said:

I think the current system works fine, I don't see nearly as much spam as on other forums

It would still make their lives easier. The spam gets far more noticeable late at night (in the US). I report stuff and it often takes hours to get deleted, probably because most of the staff is asleep.

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

This has been asked a few times before. It's on the "Declined Suggestions" list, so I don't expect they'll do it any time soon.

That's not what I'm suggesting. What I'm saying would be much simpler (if Invision allows it). Typically on forums you can set flags to automatically hide content for approval. In this case, it would be simply adding an "http" string search in the thread title and a post count check. It would only flag the thread if they were a new user and if they put a link in the title, which I only see on spam posts.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

It's not possible to filter the title separately from the content. The majority of spam is being caught before it hits the forum though, and the rest is automatically removed after a small number of Bot Spam reports.

We are considering more effective solutions, but they are long term. For now, we are just actively blacklisting the spam that does come in.

HTTP/2 203