Setting old pc up as a server

I'm trying to run my old pc that I ripped my graphics card out of as a dedicated server for a few games like 7 days to die but I have no idea how to start the process. My plan was to wipe everything on the hard drive and start fresh with only needed applications. But I wanted it to restart itself every night and automatically open the server again as well as TeamViewer( which I would use to control the system with my new pc unless theres a better program.) can anyone give me some form of instructions on how to start this process or what I would need? 

If you're going to be running a normal windows install as a "server" you'll want to look into task scheduler. If you're going to be using a linux install you'll need to look into crontab.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

I think I might stick with windows since it's already got a key for it. Unless Linux would make a significantly better difference although I've only used Linux once before and it was ubunto. So im not super familiar with Linux systems 

if you have a basic knowledge of linux, and your preferred software works on that side, i'd say thats the way to go.

on the other side, if it's just for running some game server for you and a few friends (note that this bit is bolded..) you may as well just toss windows 10 on there, and do the reboots manually every sunday, as long as your preferred games arent coded by a mentally challenged monkey once a week shoud be plenty.

You can then use the "Task Scheduler", schedule a reboot and place a .bat (or whatever you want) to start the programs you want at boot time.

I would say the busiest the server would see is 20ish people. It may grow but that would be a good ways into the future. 

Just now, CaptainHouse said:

I would say the busiest the server would see is 20ish people. It may grow but that would be a good ways into the future. 

then the most important question is your internet connection here.

every person playing on your server will need some bandwidth from your side especially the upload is important.

I only get around 10mbps up rn I believe. I'll have to double check when I get home but if internet becomes an issue I believe there is better available in my area I could look into. That or set up the pc at a friends house that has better speeds. 

5 minutes ago, CaptainHouse said:

5 minutes ago, Pixel5 said:

then the most important question is your internet connection here.

every person playing on your server will need some bandwidth from your side especially the upload is important.

or more importantly: are these your friends?

because the moment you cant control the audience, you should be in a datacenter. it's not THAT expensive.

9 minutes ago, CaptainHouse said:

I think I might stick with windows since it's already got a key for it. Unless Linux would make a significantly better difference although I've only used Linux once before and it was ubunto. So im not super familiar with Linux systems 

Definitely switch to Linux. Windows uses a ton of background tasks that eat up your resources.

Learning how to use Linux isn't too difficult, I recommend checking out this video.

BLACK ICE

----------------------------------

Intel i7 8700k // EVGA RTX 2070 // 16Gb Ballistix Elite // Asus TUF Z370-PLUS // H115i Pro // ThermalTake 850W RBG // WD Blue 500Gb M.2 // Seagate BarraCuda 2Tb // ThermalTake View 31

Just now, mianix said:

Definitely switch to Linux. Windows uses a ton of background tasks that eat up your resources.

Learning how to use Linux isn't too difficult, I recommend checking out this video.

Yeah everyone is friends. It's a decently close knit discord server. The people who will be playing regularly will be people I've talked to for at least a year. Outside of that some new members to the server may join up but the discord isn't really growing right now. 

Deleted

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

I haven't had time to set everything up yet, But I think I will try it out on windows first and if its not powerful enough then Ill switch to linux. And Ill be downloading task scheduler to help make things easier. 

On 3/5/2019 at 8:40 AM, manikyath said:

or more importantly: are these your friends?

On 3/5/2019 at 8:42 AM, CaptainHouse said:

Yeah everyone is friends. It's a decently close knit discord server. The people who will be playing regularly will be people I've talked to for at least a year. 

For this definition, a 'friend' is someone who you could theoretically go kick in the nuts with relative ease.

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

13 hours ago, it_dont_work said:

For this definition, a 'friend' is someone who you could theoretically go kick in the nuts with relative ease.

i'm not sure i'm all up for that definition, more so looking at "you are on a personal level with each of them"