Windows EdgeBook - Microsoft rumored to challenge Chromebooks with an extremely lite version of Windows

rcmaehl

Sources:

PCMag

Windows Central

Summary:
Microsoft is taking yet another stab at creating a "Windows Lite", code-named Santorini, supposedly for 2-in-1 one and other fold-able devices. Rumors suggest that you shouldn't expect an upgrade path unlike Windows 10S though.

Quotes/Excerpts:

Reports of a new Microsoft OS called "Windows Lite"...built on Windows Core OS, that aims to take on Chrome OS with new user experiences and a focus on the web. According to my sources, who wanted to remain anonymous, the codename "Santorini" is being used to talk about Windows Lite. Windows Lite isn't a lesser version of Windows; it's an entirely new OS experience designed for lightweight computing. It probably won't even be called Windows because of this. Santorini is one of many different flavors of Windows Core OS, joining Aruba, Oasis and several others that are currently in the works internally.  We've already had a glimpse at Aruba with the unveiling of the Surface Hub 2X.  Rumors suggest Microsoft is planning to talk about Windows Lite at its Build developer conference in May. The version of Windows Core OS that we'll likely see shipping on foldable PCs and more traditional laptops and 2-in-1s. The company confirmed in a recent all-hands meeting that HoloLens 2 will ship with Windows Core OS, and even demonstrated a Windows Core OS device that was able to restart and install updates in under one minute, which is impressive. While I don't expect we'll see any Windows Core OS devices start shipping until, at the earliest, later this year.

My Thoughts:
While this isn't the attempt by Microsoft at light-weight versions of Windows (See: Windows To Go, Windows 10S, Windows 10 IoT Core). It'll definitely be interesting to see another Windows variant from Microsoft considering the discontinuation of Windows 10 Mobile. Will it just be a modified version of Windows IoT, or will it be closer to Windows 10S. Perhaps it'll literally just be a Chromebook EdgeBook considering the fact Microsoft Edge is literally becoming Chrome. (Thanks @GoodBytes) Only time will tell.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

Did I ever tell you what the definition of insanity is?  Insanity is doing the exact same f***ing thing over and over again, expecting sh*t to change.

Do they really think this is going to turn out better than all the previous attempts at creating a "light" version?

Ok but imagine a chrome book but you used MS Office instead. That would be amazing for school

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

Ok but imagine a chrome book but you used MS Office instead. That would be amazing for school

So, an HP Stream of yesteryear.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

From what I know on this project:

• It is believed that it won't be called Windows. They are chances that it will be called something else (at least until Microsoft wonderful marketing team gets its hands o it and decides to name it... who knows... might be called: "Windows 10 Live Essential with Media Pack 2020 edition Pro for Workstation Server 2019 R2 Plus! Gen 2.1 2x2 XBox with XBox Live Gold Home".... But until then, "Windows Lite" is not used anywhere within Microsoft.

• Win32 support is being looked into, however Microsoft is not interested in bringing all the legacy stuff to the OS. This will probably lead that only some Win32 programs will work. If true, I believe, in my opinion, only modern games using modern code base will work, same for .NET 3+ or 4+ support (with .Net core of course), WPF, but no MFC or even WinForms. All depending where they decide to cut. I think Microsoft will evaluate what popular modern programs can work under it, and try and support them. For example, they may care in getting Spotify to work, but not so much ICQ or Winamp.

• There was an actual Windows Lite that Microsoft was looking into, where it was a stripped down full Windows 10 that was experimented internally, and leaked at some point in the past in the Insider program. But as those who did test this leaked edition, not much benefits was found. I find it interesting on how Microsoft is experimenting with things to try and find the best solutions.

1 hour ago, VegetableStu said:

3 years later we'd have windows-powered calculators ._.

That's actually not a bad idea, could you image the spreadsheet capabilities!?

Based on descriptions on what is given on this new OS from Microsoft that had a chance to look at it while being worked on. This is what has been re-created:

Capture.PNG.0a282b8f7c667ce87e626fe1d8ea8929.PNG

If you have a Surface Hub at work, you'll notice that the OS looks very similar to it. Interestingly enough, no live tiles. Something that was noted by a few leaks. Again, this is just a re-creation based on description. Not the actual things, and apparently it is far from done. And we have no idea how it adapts with foldable devices.

Are chromebooks even still much of a thing? Why not just get a tablet?

1 minute ago, poochyena said:

Yes. When looking at tablets you really have 2 choices: Windows (too expensive for where Chromebook is attacking) and Apple.

Very few manufactures are making modern Android tablets. Users were not interested in the experience that Android delivered. The OS did not and still doesn't scale properly. We do know from rumors (if they are believed) that Google is working in merging Android and ChromeOS, and essentially kill off Android so that ChromeOS is the OS for phones, tablets and laptops.

19 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Microsoft is not interested in bringing all the legacy stuff to the OS.

*sigh* When will they let go of their dead idea of creating their own walled garden. They trying to force it ever since  win8 come out but its still pretty much dead....

21 minutes ago, poochyena said:

Agree.  A ChromeBook is just a tablet.  They try to make the OS a balance of mobile and desktop...its just a tablet.

Pixel Slatewas better.

Spoiler

Whoever clicked that Pixel Slate link has fallen into my Unbox Therapy trap...again.  mwhahahahaha

Won’t visit often..

1 minute ago, jagdtigger said:

*sigh* When will they let go of their dead idea of creating their own walled garden. They trying to force it ever since  win8 come out but its still pretty much dead....

You can install apps outside the store. Microsoft is pushing for sandboxed apps to make it very hard to exploit the platform. No more anti-virus to slow down the system like crazy (or those low powered systems). It is easy when you can afford 1k+ laptop, with a nice Intel i5, plenty of RAM, and a decent SSD. But not everyone can afford this.

Most people usage are, essentially:

- Office

- Web browser

- Netflix or whatever their service they pick

- Spotify / iTunes

- Import and manage pictures / home family videos

- View PDF (Web browser takes care of that)

- maybe, very basic gaming, like cards games

And that is about it. 

Those that do more, tend to have the funds to get a decent PC to handle their needs (example: Accounting software, better video editing tools, music production, gaming, etc.)

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

You can install apps outside the store. Microsoft is pushing for sandboxed apps to make it very hard to exploit the platform. No more anti-virus to slow down the system like crazy (or those low powered systems).

https://thehackernews.com/2018/10/windows10-uwp-apps.html

And there is more to come...... The only thing they did is prevent security software from doing their job.

3 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Most people usage are, essentially:

- Office

- Web browser

- Netflix or whatever their service they pick

- Spotify / iTunes

- Import and manage pictures / home family videos

- View PDF (Web browser takes care of that)

- maybe, very basic gaming, like cards games

And that is about it. 

For which they dont even need windows/any other MS SW.....

7 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Oh noes, a security issue... The idea is that is is hard to exploit. Under Win32 you have virtually no protection beside UAC prompt. And you have no idea if an app is using your microphone, location or anything.

7 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

And there is more to come...... The only thing they did is prevent security software from doing their job.

So your solution is to not try? Why do you even have anti-viruses? You'll get viruses in any case, might as well learn to live with them.

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

Yes. When looking at tablets you really have 2 choices: Windows (too expensive for where Chromebook is attacking) and Apple.

Very few manufactures are making modern Android tablets. Users were not interested in the experience that Android delivered. The OS did not and still doesn't scale properly. We do know from rumors (if they are believed) that Google is working in merging Android and ChromeOS, and essentially kill off Android so that ChromeOS is the OS for phones, tablets and laptops.

Unfortunately the only android tablets I've actually had a good experience in regards to Android's functionality, are ones dating back to 2012/2013 with a custom Android 7.1.1 ROM as well as a battery/keyboard/trackpad dock. Newer ones at around $400+ just aren't as good (though they of course run a hell of a lot better and have more than 1GB RAM)

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I like this idea, if it's marketed and designed well I think it could outshine the Chromebook, simply because people are more familiar with the Office suite over Google Drive and their associated apps. I'm not sure if the Windows 10S comparisons are fair, I never understood the point in 10S but alternatively Google has proven there is a market for 'Chromebook like' devices.

4 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

Windows Phone - Fail

Windows 8(.1) - Fail

Windows RT - Fail

Windows 10 - Fail

Windows 10 S - Fail

I had no idea Microsoft was actually out of business.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

3 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

wow lol thats like every notebook ever. 

3 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Oh yeah, and all of the documents would be stored in the cloud. Also multiple people should be able to work on them at the same time. And for schools there should be another program that allows teachers to assign work and allow students to turn these documents in.

Oh wait... That already exists.

3 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Very few manufactures are making modern Android tablets. Users were not interested in the experience that Android delivered.

then how does a chromebook or chromebook competitor, that offers even less, factor into this all?
Looking around, there are a lots of cheap android tablets still on the market.

2 hours ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

Oh yeah, and all of the documents would be stored in the cloud. Also multiple people should be able to work on them at the same time. And for schools there should be another program that allows teachers to assign work and allow students to turn these documents in.

Oh wait... That already exists.

Yes, Microsoft has all this.

It also has Microsoft Teams for classrooms and OneNote.

1 hour ago, poochyena said:

then how does a chromebook or chromebook competitor, that offers even less, factor into this all?

Cost. And, "no viruses", 'cause no/low potential valuable data from user and weak market share.

Also, the restrictive OS allows easy IT deployment, as there is not much to setup, as you can't do much. But the main thing is cost.

Chromebooks are inexpensive and delivers a better experience than Windows for the given specs. Windows 10 aimed to solve the ease of deployment on schools without IT (no idea on the success rate), Windows 10 S aimed to solve the virus issue by having everything locked down, but it is still a heavy OS in comparison. We also can't forget that Google has massive help from hardware manufacture due to the stronghold from Android OS (ChromeOS is not too different from this aspect from Android for driver support) Meaning, Google has access to highly optimized drivers for hardware. While Microsoft does not for ARM based systems. Microsoft feels the pain that Linux users faces in terms of drivers for ARM based SoCs. And of course, Windows is designed, and optimized for x86, not ARM64. So, it would makes that Microsoft hopes that it can achieve its goals by mixing reworks of the OS for ARM, with various optimizations for the platform, and at the same time, wait for faster ARM based CPUs, and hopefully fast enough inexpensive SoCs. It seems that work is paying off, as we can see Windows 10 on ARM is indeed a thing, people managed to installed on unsupported very old SoCs and people managed to even run it to some degree (no drivers, not even storage and USB) on Raspberry Pi 3. But obviously, more work is needed as it only runs well enough on Snapdragon best SoCs. And that is a problem, due to cost. If it run fine on mid range SoCs, then now we are talking.

Personally, I am very excited in this. Tech wise, and I think, many thing learned may be transferred in x86 version of Windows, and that is a win to all of us.

1 hour ago, poochyena said:

Looking around, there are a lots of cheap android tablets still on the market.

Yes. But those are pretty crappy.. I mean 720p screen, some with shitty displays or not great touch experience, weak specs... I mean it is fine... but you don't have Samsung coming on stage every year and making a splash of new models like Apple. You don't have many manufactures as you once had competing in the field. Consumers bought at first, but their poor experience made it that they were not interested in it, and opted for an iPad instead.

would it beat windows 10 LTSC?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition