Intel decides to contribute its Thunderbolt 3 standard to the USB Promoter Group. Will this be the new USB 4?

Source 1: https://www.overclock3d.net/news/input_devices/thunderbolt_3_becomes_usb4_-_intel_contributes_thunderbolt_3_to_create_usb4_specification/1
Source 2: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/usb4-thunderbolt-3-40gbps-type-c,38736.html
Source 3: https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/4/18246182/usb-4-thunderbolt-3-specs-features-release-date (The Verge, Personal bias - avoid...)
mod_2_dock.png

In a shocking and (somewhat) unexpected move, Intel has decided to contribute its Thunderbolt 3 standard the USB Promoter Group (The people who design the USB Specification).
This will essentially allow Thunderbolt 3 to become the new standard for USB (Still based over USB Type-C, Thankfully), and will also make it fully backward compatible with USBs previous standards:
USB 2, USB 3.0, USB 3.1 and the recently renamed/announced USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 (Confusing much?).

It will also provide Twice the current throughput of the current Thunderbolt 3/USB 3 Type-C at a rate of 40 Gbps, compared to the current 20 Gbps on USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 (I hate that naming scheme so much...)

New Quote Added:

Yes, this means that Intel has handed over Thunberbolt 3.0 to the USB Promoter group, effectively allowing Thunderbolt 3 to become the next iteration of USB, while also maintaining full backwards compatibility with USB 3.2, USB 2.0 and Thunderbolt 3.

The reason was given for this generosity, seems to be a pure market move, more than that of willingness.
With the upcoming Intel 10nm node, Intel plans to integrate Thunderbolt 3 directly into their processors. Which should mean a much wider adoption rate over the current implementation of Thunderbolt 3.
The Downside, however, seems to be for AMD. Since it will be baked into the 10nm node, that means it could put AMD at a disadvantage until they come up with a way to support the new USB 4 standard on their platform.

In a single move, Intel has ensured that their Thunderbolt standard will be adopted by every major manufacturer, while also giving them a clear advantage over their competition when it comes to implementing USB4 support. Thanks to Thunderbolt much of the software/hardware ecosystem for USB4 has already been built, which means that we should see USB4 devices relatively quickly. 

The USB4 architecture is based on the Thunderbolt™ protocol specification recently contributed by Intel Corporation.

It doubles the bandwidth of USB and enables multiple simultaneous data and display protocols. 

The entire USB4 specification will be published around the middle of 2019, along with an updated specification for the USB Type-C specification, in an effort to updated power requirements (possibly a higher power output over the cable, or maybe a way to discern cables that don't meet spec?). 
One this is for sure - that it can be expected that the new USB 4 standard will more than likely be based on the Thunderbolt 3 standard.

My thoughts?
Well, it's cool and really amazing. The lack of Thunderbolt 3 for consumers on lower end products is extremely lacking. Hopefully by integrating it into the USB 4 specification will lower (possibly remove) the royalties that Intel claims and can make the feature much more widespread. Again, the downside I see to this is for AMD. Would they be able to license the new standard or will they have to come up with their own specification for USB 4 without Thunderbolt?
Only time will tell. Either way, I'm really excited about this news.

Your Thoughts? Please leave them down below :)

EDIT: Aditional Images (taken from Toms Hardware & Overclock3D, provided by Intel)

Spoiler

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9FL0UvODI2MDcwL29yaWdpbmFsL0ludGVsLVRodW5kZXJib2x0LTMtR3Jvd3RoLmpwZw==

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9FL0QvODI2MDY5L29yaWdpbmFsL0ludGVsLVRodW5kZXJib2x0LTMtU3VwZXJzZXQuanBn

UPDATE #1:
Thanks to The Benjamins for this. Here is the Update Announcement from the USB.Org
https://usb.org/sites/default/files/2019-03/USB_PG_USB4_DevUpdate_Announcement_FINAL_20190226.pdf

Ryze of the Phoenix: 
CPU:      AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.15GHz
Ram:      64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3200Mhz (Samsung B-Die & Nanya Technology)
GPU:      MSI RTX 3060 12GB Aero ITX
Storage: Crucial P3 1TB NVMe Gen 4 SSD, 1TB Crucial MX500, Spinning Rust (7TB Internal, 16TB External - All in-use),
PSU:      Cooler Master MWE Gold 750w V2 PSU (Thanks LTT PSU Tier List)
Cooler:   BeQuite! Prue Rock 2 Black Edition
Case:     ThermalTake Versa J22 TG

Passmark 10 Score: 6096.4         CPU-z Score: 4189 MT         Unigine Valley (DX11 @1080p Ultra): 5145         CryEngine Neon Noir (1080p Ultra): 9579

Audio Setup:                  Scarlett 2i2, AudioTechnica AT2020 XLR, Mackie CR3 Monitors, Sennheiser HD559 headphones, HyperX Cloud II Headset, KZ ES4 IEM (Cyan)

Laptop:                            MacBook Pro 2017 (Intel i5 7360U, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports - No Touch Bar) Catalina & Boot Camp Win10 Pro

Primary Phone:               Xiaomi Mi 11T Pro 5G 256GB (Snapdragon 888)

I have no clue, but USB 4.0 spec IMO should retire USB Type A and B connectors and be C only, which then allows for more pins ( which 3.2 2x2 use) and more universally higher default power delivery.

If Intel is smart they would work with USB-IF to release the two TB and USB standards together to bring a better universal compatibility.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

I was nervous this would create a new connector standard, but thank god the hope is to maintain C

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

3 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

I have no clue, but USB 4.0 spec IMO should retire USB Type A and B connectors and be C only, which then allows for more pins ( which 3.2 2x2 use) and more universally higher default power delivery.

If Intel is smart they would work with USB-IF to release the two TB and USB standards together to bring a better universal compatibility.

I kind of agree with the retiring of connectors, as USB Type-C is amazing... However, there are so many peripherals that use the Type A standard (keyboard and mice, as examples) that I can't really see that happening. Much the same as you can (rarely - but still possible) find PS2 on modern computers. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but the "Type-B" standard never made it to the PC as an input, did it? (I'm not talking about Type-A to Type-B cables like you got with mobile phones). 

Ryze of the Phoenix: 
Ram:      64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3200Mhz (Samsung B-Die & Nanya Technology)
Storage: Crucial P3 1TB NVMe Gen 4 SSD, 1TB Crucial MX500, Spinning Rust (7TB Internal, 16TB External - All in-use),

Passmark 10 Score: 6096.4         CPU-z Score: 4189 MT         Unigine Valley (DX11 @1080p Ultra): 5145         CryEngine Neon Noir (1080p Ultra): 9579

Audio Setup:                  Scarlett 2i2, AudioTechnica AT2020 XLR, Mackie CR3 Monitors, Sennheiser HD559 headphones, HyperX Cloud II Headset, KZ ES4 IEM (Cyan)

Laptop:                            MacBook Pro 2017 (Intel i5 7360U, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports - No Touch Bar) Catalina & Boot Camp Win10 Pro

9 minutes ago, WelshDdraig said:

I kind of agree with the retiring of connectors, as USB Type-C is amazing... However, there are so many peripherals that use the Type A standard (keyboard and mice, as examples) that I can't really see that happening. Much the same as you can (rarely - but still possible) find PS2 on modern computers. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but the "Type-B" standard never made it to the PC as an input, did it? (I'm not talking about Type-A to Type-B cables like you got with mobile phones). 

well USB 3 has been the transition period and most device don't even have that many 10Gbps USB port or even Type C. so for PC's I would expect for a few years after release to have a mix of USB 3 and USB 4 allowing people to slowly get new cables and devices that use Type C.

Its not going to be a instance hard switch over to all Type C unless your a apple user (to late that already happened)

EDIT: Type B was mostly used as a input, its on most devices that attach to a PC like external HDD, BD/DVD drives, or phones (in the pas) There are 3 different shapes to Type B

Image result for usb type b

mini B

Image result for usb type mini b

8 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

EDIT: Type B was mostly used as a input, its on most devices that attach to a PC like external HDD, BD/DVD drives, or phones (in the pas) There are 3 different shapes to Type B

Spoiler

Image result for usb type mini b

I actually mentioned that. I was stating apart from that. You never had Type-B as a physical direct input (as a port) on a PC, (as far as I know)

Ryze of the Phoenix: 

6 minutes ago, WelshDdraig said:

I actually mentioned that. I was stating apart from that. You never had Type-B as a physical direct input (as a port) on a PC, (as far as I know)

oh ya, when Type B was created it was intended as a device/input port only. in those days USB was more of a oneway design, where connected devices where "slaves" to the PC.

USB 3.3 gen3x3?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Sounds pretty sweet, but can someone give me a quick jist of what TB3 is / why it's good? I've never looked into it nor used it (to my knowledge lol).

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

Just now, Noctus said:

Sounds pretty sweet, but can someone give me a quick jist of what TB3 is / why it's good? I've never looked into it nor used it (to my knowledge lol).

Massive bandwidth -- you can drive a 4K or 5K display off of it while still having headroom for networking, peripherals and such.  It's also useful for pros who rely on RAID storage or otherwise think that USB-C alone would be too slow.

16 minutes ago, Commodus said:

Massive bandwidth -- you can drive a 4K or 5K display off of it while still having headroom for networking, peripherals and such.  It's also useful for pros who rely on RAID storage or otherwise think that USB-C alone would be too slow.

Ohhh, good stuff all round then. Glad it's being merged in now with type C, so in 10 years when i can afford a nice 4k+ setup for my house it's useful for me lol.

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

Just now, Noctus said:

Ohhh, good stuff all round then. Glad it's being merged in now with type C, so in 10 years when i can afford a nice 4k+ setup for my house it's useful for me lol.

Technically Thunderbolt 3 already uses USB-C, it's just that you need specific Thunderbolt controller hardware to benefit from it.  Rolling it into USB 4 would ensure that everyone gets it.

Just now, Commodus said:

Technically Thunderbolt 3 already uses USB-C, it's just that you need specific Thunderbolt controller hardware to benefit from it.  Rolling it into USB 4 would ensure that everyone gets it.

Nice, even more glad this is a ting then. I'd like to properly upgrade to a full 4k experience for my cinema room/PC and ia quite like Type-C. Win / win it seems.

1 minute ago, Commodus said:

Which would be a godsend to the USB-C alternate mode clusterduck.

1 hour ago, Commodus said:

It's 40Gbps, to be exact.  The down side (first) is that TBolt-3 cables are fucking expensive right now.  And limited in length.  One meter cables (tops I've seen) are about $50.  It's likely that if the USB 4 standard "doubles TBolt-3" to 80Gbps(ffffuuuuuuck!) then we'll see similarly-priced cables by then.  Maybe even more so.

In other words: don't expect "cheap".

On the plus side?  40Gbps is plenty to drive 2 4K/60 panels, plus about 8Gbps left over for "other stuff".  It's quite stunning.

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

Somehow AMD will beat Intel to market with USB4 baked into a chiplet given Intel's recent track record.

/sarcasm

I'm guessing AMD started plans to incorporate Thunderbolt 3 since this news in 2017.
https://www.gsmarena.com/intel_will_open_the_thunderbolt_3_standard_to_the_public_royaltyfree-news-25233.php

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

4 hours ago, WelshDdraig said:

The main systems you'll see PS/2 on are also the ones which still have; PCI slots, parallel and serial ports. Because a lot of companies still need to use legacy hardware. Also some PS/2 keyboards have longevity measured in decades.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

10 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Also some PS/2 keyboards have longevity measured in decades.

The mighty M...

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

3 minutes ago, jasonvp said:

The mighty M...

The previous F is mightier...

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

This will be awesome if AMD starts putting thunderbolt on their boards. There have been a few times I didn't buy AMD because of thunderbolt music equipment. 

@WelshDdraig

Update the OP with USB-IF announcement 

https://usb.org/sites/default/files/2019-03/USB_PG_USB4_DevUpdate_Announcement_FINAL_20190226.pdf

Key characteristics of the USB4 solution include:

• Two-lane operation using existing USB Type-C cables and up to 40 Gbps operation over 40 Gbpscertified cables
  • Multiple data and display protocols to efficiently share the total available bandwidth over the bus
  • Backward compatibility with USB 3.2, USB 2.0 and Thunderbolt 3

4 hours ago, The Benjamins said:

seriously. if we're gonna move on to something else we need to move on to something else. I'm totally fine with having to use an adapter for older stuff. just serves as a reminder that it's getting old and probably time to update it anyway

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

they should make USB 4.0 be able to pass through power to a monitor from a PC so you only need one cable. In theory that's little enough power to be doable. I can see specialized monitors still needing power but it should be able to do lightweight/normal monitors on it's own.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

2 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

they should make USB 4.0 be able to pass through power to a monitor from a PC so you only need one cable.

They could be doing this with thunderbolt 3 right now, it does technically support it.

Apple does seem to be doing this actually.

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount