PCI-E x1,4,8,16 usb hub

uscan

I have two related questions. 

1. how do products like this meet their claims. They are using a PCI x1 (assuming gen 3) slot which according to wikipedia the max data throughput is 984MB/s (converts to 7.8Gb/s) and the usb 3.0 SS that they claim to have is 5Gb/s. So how does this product manage to fit 7 of them on the x1 slot. What happens if you try and push more than that down the pipe?

2. how come you never see x4, 8, or 16 cards that support a ton of usb ports or am I just not searching hard enough

I am in the process of creating some test equipment that will be pushing a ton of data which is why I am looking into this in the first place. While I understand most USB devices dont use the standard to its maximum but I will be. 

Please be nice, this is my first post here.

8 minutes ago, uscan said:

1. how do products like this meet their claims. They are using a PCI x1 (assuming gen 3) slot which according to wikipedia the max data throughput is 984MB/s (converts to 7.8Gb/s) and the usb 3.0 SS that they claim to have is 5Gb/s. So how does this product manage to fit 7 of them on the x1 slot. What happens if you try and push more than that down the pipe?

each port is up to 5Gb/s, it should just be a shared pool that goes up to 7.8Gb/s, meaning you can have one USB device that pulls 5Gb/s, but the second one will be limited to 2.8Gb/s, or you can have 7 devices running at ~1.1Gb/s 

it'll just slow down, you can't have more data through that what PCIe 1x offers

2. how come you never see x4, 8, or 16 cards that support a ton of usb ports or am I just not searching hard enough

usually people are searching for more ports because they want to connect more devices to a computer

I am in the process of creating some test equipment that will be pushing a ton of data which is why I am looking into this in the first place. While I understand most USB devices dont use the standard to its maximum but I will be. 

try to use some of the motherboard's USB 3.0 headers alongside the product you sent, and onboard USB 3

distribute the load across USB 3 inputs 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1 hour ago, themctipers said:

usually people are searching for more ports because they want to connect more devices to a computer

But what I am trying to say that you could get the full USB 3.0 speeds on all ports if the x4,8, or 16 bus was used. I am just curious why they are not more common

5 hours ago, uscan said:

But what I am trying to say that you could get the full USB 3.0 speeds on all ports if the x4,8, or 16 bus was used. I am just curious why they are not more common

yea

they're not common because usually people want these for more physical ports, not for bandwidth

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

On 3/3/2019 at 4:23 PM, themctipers said:

try to use some of the motherboard's USB 3.0 headers alongside the product you sent, and onboard USB 3

distribute the load across USB 3 inputs 

Do you think that it would be better to design with Ethernet in mind instead of USB just do to bandwidth limitations? 

54 minutes ago, uscan said:

Do you think that it would be better to design with Ethernet in mind instead of USB just do to bandwidth limitations? 

how are you going to design for ethernet? Two different protocols for different things.. 

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.