If my Time Capsule dies but the drive is good, how do I pull data from it to a Windows computer?

Go to solution Solved by SkyHound0202,
10 hours ago, nelsonpong said:

So if I load Ubuntu, I would be able to mount the HFS+ drive and pull data from it onto a different NTFS drive, just like that?

I would say you should use a Mac to pull the data.

Linux HFS+ support is kinda funky and sometimes is just hit-or-miss, especially one having been used as a TC drive.

What are some limitations and challenges when attempting to pull data from the hard drive inside the AirPort Time Capsule over SATA using a Windows-based computer?

The hard drive in the Time Capsule is formatted as HFS+, which can only be read/written natively with Mac/Linux when attached.

Windows based system requires additional software/driver to read (read-only) the drive.

"Mankind’s greatest mistake will be its inability to control the technology it has created."

12 minutes ago, nelsonpong said:

What are some limitations and challenges when attempting to pull data from the hard drive inside the AirPort Time Capsule over SATA using a Windows-based computer?

Based on a few discussions over on Apple's forums, you should be able to simply connect the internal drive from the Time Capsule to a Mac and read the data. Not sure if this would work if File Vault encryption was enabled on the Time Capsule though. On Windows, you'd need a 3rd party driver to read HFS formatted drives, such as Paragon's HFS+ for Windows.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7513252

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6297970

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

2 hours ago, SkyHound0202 said:

The hard drive in the Time Capsule is formatted as HFS+, which can only be read/written natively with Mac/Linux when attached.

Windows based system requires additional software/driver to read (read-only) the drive.

So if I load Ubuntu, I would be able to mount the HFS+ drive and pull data from it onto a different NTFS drive, just like that?

10 hours ago, nelsonpong said:

I would say you should use a Mac to pull the data.

Linux HFS+ support is kinda funky and sometimes is just hit-or-miss, especially one having been used as a TC drive.

"Mankind’s greatest mistake will be its inability to control the technology it has created."