Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sir-robin10

Home development server with vm's and NAS

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hellow LTT group :D

 

So I curently have 3 servers, one watchguard (which I'm planning on flashing pfsense on it to have a seperate network for the other two servers).

 

So A little bit specifications on the servers;

 

HP Proliant DL360 G5:

- dual Intel Xeon e5405 2.0 GHz

- 16GB ECC

- 6x 72GB 15k SAS drives

- 2x power supply

 

IBM System x3650 server

- 12x 2GB ram

- 6x 450GB hdd's

- 2x intel E5335 2.0ghz

- Has windows server 2012 installed on it....

 

Now, what I want to achieve here (I don't know if that would be possible) is that I'd like to use one server as a NAS with plex on it so I can use the server as a file share (and expand if needed with extra drive server)

and another one I'd like to use (I think the IBM server) for VM's. So I think about getting proxmox on there and thus be able to create vm's for development. So I can work from that server (I would like to be able to work on that server like I'm working from my pc). Then I could, using proxmox, make staging environments and thus test locally on that server.

I also would love to have CI/CD on a server, but that is a nice to have.

 

I made a quick drawing on how I see the whole thing come together;

 

az4UAQg.png

 

Would this be a good choise? Or do you guys have any suggestions?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
15 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

I hope you don't care about power usage, as those systems will suck a lot of power.

 

How about running proxmox on both of the servers. You can run plex in a vm, and cluster them so its easier to manage. Then you can host storage on the host with samba or nfs.

 

 

The power usage isn't that big of a problem. And clustering the servers is a pretty good idea, except I have no clue on how to do this or if it would be possible then to have an IP-address for each server in the 10.x.x.x "range", as being able to access them over the vpn etc...

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Sir-robin10 said:

The power usage isn't that big of a problem. And clustering the servers is a pretty good idea, except I have no clue on how to do this or if it would be possible then to have an IP-address for each server in the 10.x.x.x "range", as being able to access them over the vpn etc...

You can easily adda nouther server to a proxmox cluster, and manage both, and migrate vms between them.

 

https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Cluster_Manager

 

you also want clustered storage, look at gluster or ceph for this.

 

VPN access should be basically the same as without a cluster.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just an FYI, either of those processors are going to have to work overtime for Plex transcodes, so I would pre-transcode your movies into a native format for whatever you plan to stream on.

 

Otherwise you will see that power bill sky rocket. At 80w TDP per socket + the rest of the system, a single server at full tilt is probably going to ballpark 250watts+. Roughly $190/year at 9 cents per Kilowatt per server.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
13 hours ago, Mikensan said:

Just an FYI, either of those processors are going to have to work overtime for Plex transcodes, so I would pre-transcode your movies into a native format for whatever you plan to stream on.

 

Otherwise you will see that power bill sky rocket. At 80w TDP per socket + the rest of the system, a single server at full tilt is probably going to ballpark 250watts+. Roughly $190/year at 9 cents per Kilowatt per server.

 

 

Plex server isn't a prior, just a nice to have tho...

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sir-robin10 said:

Plex server isn't a prior, just a nice to have tho...

still do-able, just pre-transcode your movies using handbrake or something - though honestly it might handle a single stream.

 

Just saying don't leave the servers (or at least just 1) on all the time unless you're actively working on your project. Otherwise you can get a pretty decent R610 with 32GB of ram for $200-$300 on ebay - though I just noticed you're Belguim so this may not be the case for you :-(. Anywho check out www.reddit.com/r/homelab for some ideas, lot of good stuff over there.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×