[POLL] Do you use a Password Manager?

Do you use a Password Manager?  

119 members have voted

1. 1. Do you currently use a Password Manager?

• YES
    • NO

Keep in mind that a password manager is a single point of failure.  If anyone ever gets in to yours, they basically have full access to everything. 

If you use one, at least put 2FA on every account whose password you store in there. 

I use different passwords for almost all of my accounts (not that I have many of those, I'm a digital minimalist) and I can memorize basically all of them.  I do keep a full list of them in an encrypted file on an offline-only machine, just in case I forget one. 

I guess that machine is also a single point of failure, but then again you'd need physical access and need to brute-force a long and complicated passphrase in order to get access to a file that's basically random symbols to anyone who doesn't know exactly how I designed it.

The way I see it, all they need to do is break one password; then they have them all. So. It seems a little smarter not to use it at all.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

34 minutes ago, Geography said:

I don't count that as a password manager, because it works differently from a "normal" password manager.

How so? What is the difference?

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

1 minute ago, keskparane said:

How so? What is the difference?

Password managers generate random passwords for you, while autofill just saves your existing passwords.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

1 minute ago, Geography said:

Password managers generate random passwords for you, while autofill just saves your existing passwords.

Google generates passwords for me

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

Just now, keskparane said:

Google generates passwords for me

Okay.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

8 minutes ago, Geography said:

Okay.

So to add Google (chrome) generates and stores my passwords. Reason being there is no way I want to copy-paste every password I have into every site I access so I'm going to use autofill. Since autofill stores the passwords anyway there is no point in storing them anywhere else. So I may as well just hope that google keeps my data safe. I get to see if anyone tries to access my data from a different machine so essentially I have a watchdog on my master list. I don't have to worry about backups etc.

Things like bank passwords however I just remember and never ever record anywhere.

I’m strongly considering switching to a password manager along with my current usage of Authy.

PC Specs:

CPU: AMD 1700x Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VI Hero RAM: 4 * 8GB G.Skill RGB DDR4 Graphics: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 500GB Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: EVGA 750w G3 Monitors: Dell SG2716DG +  2x Dell U2515H

Freenas specs:

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2650 V2 Cooler: Some noctua cooler Motherboard: Supermicro X9 SRL-F RAM: 8 * 8GB Samsung DDR3 ECC Storage: 6 * 4TB Seagate 7200 RPM RAIDZ2 Controller: LSI H220 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro PSU: EVGA 650w G3

Phone: iPhone 6S 32 GB Space Grey

No.

All my passwords is different and the same time I don't write any of them down. Some parts of my passwords is the same, but other parts vary depending on the site, in a memorable way. They are also quite long.

Hope I haven't said too much.

I do ofc use 2 factor all places where it's possible, you should too.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

you guys don't have brains?

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

Just now, aezakmi said:

No

2 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

I also play with matches, run with knives, and step on cracks.

Yes, Last Pass with 2FA

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

I use last pass on firefox, mostly started as a way to sync passwords from chrome as firefox's built in feature didnt work.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5700x  (evga 240 AIO cooling)
PBO Settings:
Boost Override CPU: +200
CO: -17 all core
PPT: 140
TDC:  110
EDC: 150
Scalar: Auto

Mobo: Asrock x570 steel legend wifi ax

GPU: asrock challenger 7800xt 16 gb

Ram: 32 gb @3600 mhz

Case: Fractal Design Meshify C White

PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-1000

Storage: 1tb Samsung 860 ssd, 1tb nvme, 2tb Hitachi HDD, 3tb HDD for media

Display: Samsung 27" CHG70 1440p QLED Monitor

I use a password manager (KeePass) that has the database just on my pc instead of online. The database is encrypted and locked with a password and a keyfile and I sync it with my phone over a Sync software that I'm also hosting myself on a raspberry (along with some other services). That way I have randomly created very secure passwords and a Database where they are stored that noone can access.

Edit: plus I use 2FA where possible

for the longest time i had managed with writing it down on a notepad, only the notepad i had it on a hard drive all of a sudden got corrupted, for about 2 weeks i had no idea what to do, i tried to read the drive again after 2 weeks and after 3 hours of inserting the drive it finally spin and spin and got detected, copied that file first thing and created lastpass account. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

Bitwarden for me, free multi-device sync and open source were my only requirements for a password manager and it meets both.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

I came up with a cipher that uses elements of the web page that all pages have to reference against a lookup I created. The password parts generated from those elements of the page or service I am using combine to make the password.

All I have to do is remember the options and how to select the right one. Each site then has 3-5 possible combinations so I can usually get it before the 5 goes are up.

I also use a password manager for less important sites.

I have found sites like Dinopass useful for my wife who never remembers passwords. Dinopass passwords are super simple to remember while being fairly decent.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

3 hours ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

for the longest time i had managed with writing it down on a notepad, only the notepad i had it on a hard drive all of a sudden got corrupted, for about 2 weeks i had no idea what to do, i tried to read the drive again after 2 weeks and after 3 hours of inserting the drive it finally spin and spin and got detected, copied that file first thing and created lastpass account. 

My notepad is also stored on a corrupted broken HDD. Why I still keep that HD on my desk, and why I put my paper notepad there I don't know... but never had trouble with "file" access off it. ?

Nah. I have like 5 or 6 different passwords that are essentially made up words combined with numbers, and I use those for everything.

Also, google auto-fill for the win. 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

Lastpass here. Everything related to it is also secured with multifactor, including the registered email. I have about 12 passwords I use actively, and keeping track of which one I use for whichever website would be very annoying without it.

Just wish the Android app was better.

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - LG 32GK850G-B 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.