Old Computer Case Color

itchkowb
Go to solution Solved by Himommies,

I just googled old computer beige hex code

https://www.color-hex.com/color/f5f5dc

If you've ever watched the 8-bit guy, it's noticeable how the plastic darkens in colour when exposed to sunlight and that a new "old" case is actually a very pale, nearly white colour. If you can't find that exact colour in paint form I would advise just going for as close to white beige as possible.

3 hours ago, Stru said:

If you've ever watched the 8-bit guy, it's noticeable how the plastic darkens in colour when exposed to sunlight and that a new "old" case is actually a very pale, nearly white colour. If you can't find that exact colour in paint form I would advise just going for as close to white beige as possible.

And then he slathers on some retrobrite and vavoom it's like new again!

I love the 8-bit guy... do you mean to tell me that when these computers were new, they were that light, and light exposure made them yellower? that's kinda cool

1 hour ago, itchkowb said:

I love the 8-bit guy... do you mean to tell me that when these computers were new, they were that light, and light exposure made them yellower? that's kinda cool

Absolutely, they were white, gray, and very light beige. Never yellow or brown or any of the other sickly colors they are now. I believe there's some bromide compounds in the plastics that cause the discoloration as the bromine oxidizes over time. The bromine/bromide are part of the fire retardants added. High strength hydrogen peroxide seems to be the solution to re-brighten the plastics along with some UV light, even just the sunlight outside does the trick, but an actual UV tube will work the best. I have one white PC case I might use this on, it's not so old that it's awful but could use some love. There's a BUNCH of videos on youtube showing the process, I think you'll really like the results it gives you.

nUQWgl3.png

45181ebfd5572f77.png

1*N4gr17cWBvnh76bQfefCsg.jpeg