Windows only able to use 4GB on 8GB RAM

fuzedzn
Go to solution Solved by Xsilent(X),

then you have a damaged ram stick! try to pull one out and see if it boot if it boots pull that out and place the other one in and see if that boots to. if they boot both then there might be something wrong with the northbridge

for reserved ram :

msconfig.exe -> start up -> Advanced Options -> Check max ram and set it to 8Gigs -> reboot

If this does fix the error, you're fine

If not : i have no idea

Tried this.. Nothing :/

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4
EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3

Ok, Checked bios.. RAM is running in Single Channel Mode when it should be in Dual Channel Mode

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3

Try another OS version which is certainly in 64Bits. it will work

You can also try a BIOS reset :)

CPU: Intel i7 4790K @4.8GhZ  CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 UD3H  GPU: Asus ROG RX 480 8G OC Memory: 32GB Gskill Ares 2400Mhz  Storage: 2x Crucial M4 512GB SSD (raid0)  / 1TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 750W  Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB (64 bit) Other: NZXT Hue+ LED Controller with 8 LED Strips for desk and PC lighting

You can also try a BIOS reset :)

Ugh.. i really don't want to mess with the bios.. im ok with overclocking and such but when it comes to bios updates or anything that involve messing with the bios im uncomfortable with :/

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3

It's just going into BIOS and pressing default settings...

CPU: Intel i7 4790K @4.8GhZ  CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 UD3H  GPU: Asus ROG RX 480 8G OC Memory: 32GB Gskill Ares 2400Mhz  Storage: 2x Crucial M4 512GB SSD (raid0)  / 1TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 750W  Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB (64 bit) Other: NZXT Hue+ LED Controller with 8 LED Strips for desk and PC lighting

It's just going into BIOS and pressing default settings...

Ok, just tried swapping the slots... not worked.. im trying my best to avoid having to default the settings 'cause it took me ages to do the OC lol..

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3

have you changed any thin in MSCONFIG in the boot up section EG set the amount of ram to start the computer if that box is checked uncheck it and restart the computer i dont this a few years a go on a old laptop which had 3 gb ram and i was using it for a year on one gig ram lol i was a noob then 

l Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.5Ghz l Asus VII Ranger ROG l MSI GTX 970 @ 1555MHz l 

PC PART PICKER

have you changed any thin in MSCONFIG in the boot up section EG set the amount of ram to start the computer if that box is checked uncheck it and restart the computer i dont this a few years a go on a old laptop which had 3 gb ram and i was using it for a year on one gig ram lol i was a noob then 

Already checked that.. Nothing checked.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3

Updated BIOS. Still only 4GB usable

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3

is this a fresh w7 install? if not try to deactivate all programms on startup in msconfig boot :) then reboot en see if it is 8gb or not. 

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

is this a fresh w7 install? if not try to deactivate all programms on startup in msconfig boot :) then reboot en see if it is 8gb or not. 

Its almost a fresh install.. recently installed but also has programs installed on it now too..

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3

Its almost a fresh install.. recently installed but also has programs installed on it now too..

well delet all recently installed software and reboot to fresh install again something messed it up.

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

well delet all recently installed software and reboot to fresh install again something messed it up.

I think i'll leave that to my very last resort.. I just had to do another fresh install of windows and i would ideal'y like to not to have to do one again :/

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3

I think i'll leave that to my very last resort.. I just had to do another fresh install of windows and i would ideal'y like to not to have to do one again :/

try to deactivate all bootup software and start one software boot @ a time and look always to your ram usage when enabling a software.

try to deactivate all bootup software and start one software boot @ a time and look always to your ram usage when enabling a software.

Ok so booted with everything turned off.. Booted with like 1.13GB usage.. still only got 4gb usable though :/

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3

take a picture of your task manager like this!

iyq6.png

looks strange wtf. download a linux live cd and bootup that 64bit live cd to see if it has 8gb.

looks strange wtf. download a linux live cd and bootup that 64bit live cd to see if it has 8gb.

Ok will do.. i'll post when i have done it

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3

Ok, im in ubuntu.. only showing 4GB.. but again.. in the BIOS and in windows it shows there is 8GB installed but only 4gb usable in both ubuntu and windows :/

ho1iOG7.png

List of things done:

BIOS Flash

Swapped Sticks to different slots

Made sure MAX MEMORY was unchecked in msconfig (also tried with it checked)

Tried redoing windows index (Read some forums saying that fixed it for them)

Booted into Ubuntu to check if it had access to 8GB (still only 4GB)

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3

then you have a damaged ram stick! try to pull one out and see if it boot if it boots pull that out and place the other one in and see if that boots to. if they boot both then there might be something wrong with the northbridge

Ok yeah.. One of them didn't post.. Already requested RMA.. Dunno how im going to be able to go without the pc for about a week :/

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3