Windows only able to use 4GB on 8GB RAM

fuzedzn
Go to solution Solved by Xsilent(X),

then you have a damaged ram stick! try to pull one out and see if it boot if it boots pull that out and place the other one in and see if that boots to. if they boot both then there might be something wrong with the northbridge

I was doing some testing to see how much CPU and GPU usage Simcity was using as a troubleshooting idea in another post when I noticed Task Manager was detecting only 4GB of ram..

i then ended the game and went into system settings in windows and it says "8GB (3.98GB usable)

I've not changed anything in the bios and as far as i could guess the RAM and Mobo must be working correctly to be able to detect the 8GB.

Im using Windows 7 64Bit and the rest of my specs are in my signature

Help needed!.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4
EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3

Are you sure you have 64 bit?

Hope I could help!

Specs: CPU: AMD FX-8320 @4.0ghz GPU: ASUS DCUII GTX 770 PSU: EVGA Supernova 750g CASE: Fractal Define R4 RAM: 8 Gigabytes ADATA 1333 Mhz MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3

Have you tried a clean install of Windows?

Hope I could help!

Specs: CPU: AMD FX-8320 @4.0ghz GPU: ASUS DCUII GTX 770 PSU: EVGA Supernova 750g CASE: Fractal Define R4 RAM: 8 Gigabytes ADATA 1333 Mhz MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3

Have you tried a clean install of Windows?

This is practically a fresh install

What does your BIOS say?

Not gone to the bios yet.. Don't want to leave windows unless something happens

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3

Maybe windows has reserverd 4GB for Hardware, or it's simply in Standby

CPU: Intel i7 4790K @4.8GhZ  CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 UD3H  GPU: Asus ROG RX 480 8G OC Memory: 32GB Gskill Ares 2400Mhz  Storage: 2x Crucial M4 512GB SSD (raid0)  / 1TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 750W  Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB (64 bit) Other: NZXT Hue+ LED Controller with 8 LED Strips for desk and PC lighting

Maybe you have installed a software that uses RAM to cache. Like a software for an SSD or HDD.

Or as Bloodyvalley stated.

This is practically a fresh install

Not gone to the bios yet.. Don't want to leave windows unless something happens

I'm pretty much sure nothing will happen...

right click your taskbar, start taskmanager and go to the performance tab.. Now use any bench program that will fill all the ram.. See how much it
"actually" uses.

windows 64bit sometimes says it can only use 4gb when it's actually working fine...

Yarrrr, ye be warned lily-livered scallywags

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLMJpHihykI#t=93

right click your taskbar, start taskmanager and go to the performance tab.. Now use any bench program that will fill all the ram.. See how much it

"actually" uses.

windows 64bit sometimes says it can only use 4gb when it's actually working fine...

Stayed around 3.14, Ran simcity, that maxed a 3.8gb.

Maybe you have installed a software that uses RAM to cache. Like a software for an SSD or HDD.

Or as Bloodyvalley stated.

Not installed anything for the SSD or HDD.. not installed anything new in the last few days.

You're probably running RAM-intensive programs, that's why.

That wouldn't make windows say its unusable at all though i shouldn't of thought.

Maybe windows has reserverd 4GB for Hardware, or it's simply in Standby

A friend of mine said that... but how would i stop it doing that?

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3

A friend of mine said that... but how would i stop it doing that?

Open task manager -> resource manager and check if its actually standby/resverved

CPU: Intel i7 4790K @4.8GhZ  CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 UD3H  GPU: Asus ROG RX 480 8G OC Memory: 32GB Gskill Ares 2400Mhz  Storage: 2x Crucial M4 512GB SSD (raid0)  / 1TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 750W  Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB (64 bit) Other: NZXT Hue+ LED Controller with 8 LED Strips for desk and PC lighting

Open task manager -> resource manager and check if its actually standby/resverved

Actually it's in Performance < Ressource Manage < RAM

So i checked... Looks like its reserved. http://gyazo.com/fae997891e43d79219490138200c4b35

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3

open msconfig, second bar, "advanced options" make sure it says maximum amount of memory (might still not show 8gb) but might aswell try

I'm dutch so sorry but I only have a dutch example:

I have max mem unchecked.. shouldn't affect it.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3

well check it and see if you can select 8gigs.

If not try a bios update.. If that doesn't work reseat the sticks.

When checked it goes right to 8GB... And like i said.. Windows is saying i have  8GB but as my post above said.. its being reserved.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3

You're probably running RAM-intensive programs, that's why.

No... just no. That isn't how it works. -_-

6pRgg.png

Bottom left

6pRgg.png

Bottom left

I'm using windows 7 so things look different :/

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3

for reserved ram :

msconfig.exe -> start up -> Advanced Options -> Check max ram and set it to 8Gigs -> reboot

If this does fix the error, you're fine

If not : i have no idea