Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DDebbil

4790K odd turbo behaviour

Posted · Original PosterOP

Just been trying out a 4790K on a couple of different motherboards, but found that they seem to treat the turbo differently. On Prime95 with my Z87 based Gigabyte board, the CPU is running 4.2GHz all cores, which I gather is the maximum all core turbo. But on Prime with my Z97 based Gigabyte board, the CPU is running 4.4GHz all cores. Could this be a case of 'stock setting overclocking'? I've heard of that, but a bit surprised to find it within the same company on two similar boards. Both boards have BIOS reset to defaults (other than XMP).

you might find something labelled "all core enhancement" or something similar, a feature shipped with high tier boards as a sort of auto overclock.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - The venerated Hyper 212 Evo (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - MSI GTX 650 - some 7200RPM SATA II thing - Ubuntu (at the moment)

Feel free to critique my website. I am but a young entrepreneur.

Stock Turbo for your CPU is 4.4Ghz

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/80807/intel-core-i7-4790k-processor-8m-cache-up-to-4-40-ghz.html

the Z97 Gigabyte board likely has "all core turbo" "all core enhancement" "all core boost" or a similar setting enabled by default. I wouldn't complain tbh. 

WHY IS COMIC SANS EVEN AN OPTION????

My rig:

CPU: AMD FX 8350 @ 4.0Ghz (4.6Ghz OC)

+Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO

MB: Gigabyte GA-870A-USB3L

RAM: 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Samsung "Magic Memory" running at 1866Mhz 

GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1660 ti GAMING X 6G 6GB

CASE: Fractal DesignFocus G ATX Case w/ Window, White

PWR: Thermaltake SMART 600W

DISPLAY: 3x 20" AOC 1080p 60hz 4ms (really not recommended, black trails EVERYWHERE)

Storage-

C : Raid0 480GB- Kingston V300 240GB + Kingston A400 240GB (Windows, Programs, Main Games)

D : Raid1 2x Seagate Barracuda ES 750GB 3.5" 7200RPM (Game overflow storage + Raid0 backup)

E : 1x Seagate Barracuda ES 750GB 3.5" 7200RPM (Movies + Music)

Cooling-

NZXT Sentry Mix 2

4x Rosewill RFA-120-K 74.5 CFM 120mm (front/top)

2x Cooler Master MasterLiquid Stock 120mm fans (front/back of AIO)

Input- 

KB: Logitech G15 1st Gen

M:Logitech G300S Wired Optical

CO: Steam Controller

H: Plantronics GameCom 780 7.1 Channel

S. Logitech Z213

Also, pls pls don't use XMP profiles.

"Friends don't let friends use XMP" -Linus Sebastian 

WHY IS COMIC SANS EVEN AN OPTION????

My rig:

CPU: AMD FX 8350 @ 4.0Ghz (4.6Ghz OC)

+Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO

MB: Gigabyte GA-870A-USB3L

RAM: 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Samsung "Magic Memory" running at 1866Mhz 

GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1660 ti GAMING X 6G 6GB

CASE: Fractal DesignFocus G ATX Case w/ Window, White

PWR: Thermaltake SMART 600W

DISPLAY: 3x 20" AOC 1080p 60hz 4ms (really not recommended, black trails EVERYWHERE)

Storage-

C : Raid0 480GB- Kingston V300 240GB + Kingston A400 240GB (Windows, Programs, Main Games)

D : Raid1 2x Seagate Barracuda ES 750GB 3.5" 7200RPM (Game overflow storage + Raid0 backup)

E : 1x Seagate Barracuda ES 750GB 3.5" 7200RPM (Movies + Music)

Cooling-

NZXT Sentry Mix 2

4x Rosewill RFA-120-K 74.5 CFM 120mm (front/top)

2x Cooler Master MasterLiquid Stock 120mm fans (front/back of AIO)

Input- 

KB: Logitech G15 1st Gen

M:Logitech G300S Wired Optical

CO: Steam Controller

H: Plantronics GameCom 780 7.1 Channel

S. Logitech Z213

I thought the 4.4 was the max single core turbo and 4.2 was the max all core - is that not right?

2 minutes ago, DDebbil said:

I thought the 4.4 was the max single core turbo and 4.2 was the max all core - is that not right?

That is true, and the all core enhancement feature makes all cores go to that frequency

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - The venerated Hyper 212 Evo (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - MSI GTX 650 - some 7200RPM SATA II thing - Ubuntu (at the moment)

Feel free to critique my website. I am but a young entrepreneur.

The auto overclock seems to draw a lot more power and raises temps considerably compared with stock :S

2 minutes ago, DDebbil said:

The auto overclock seems to draw a lot more power and raises temps considerably compared with stock :S

It does which is precisely why some will turn it off.  You may be able to reduce the temperatures by undervolting a bit, but it can take a bit of time and patience tuning in a stable lower voltage while keeping the frequency bump.  There has definitely been controversy about this being on by default.  Just because you are buying a higher end motherboard doesn't necessarily mean you want to (or know how to) deal with the potential side effects.  The 4th gen i5/i7 unlocked CPUs still came with a boxed cooler, and there's no way I'd run one of those CPUs on the stock Intel heatsink with that setting turned on.