Facebook admits 18% of Research spyware users were teens, not <5%

danieltien

https://techcrunch.com/2019/02/28/facebook-research-teens/

When Apple shut down Facebook's "research program", it claimed to the press that less than 5% of the users were minors. Under questioning from the US Senate, however, they admit that it was a little closer to 18%

From the Techcrunch article:

FB will all end in tears one day. 

Needless to say, I'm not surprised. 

Why? Well, Facebook is Facebook. Zuckerberg and right hand men will always lie, cheat and spy. 

First with the VPN that would monitor all of your communications and internet traffic, now they're lying about the data they recorded too. 

Sometimes I question why Facebook hasn't been shut down yet, either forcibly by Interpol and the US government or voluntarily by Facebook themselves.

1 hour ago, 1kv said:

Needless to say, I'm not surprised. 

Why? Well, Facebook is Facebook. Zuckerberg and right hand men will always lie, cheat and spy. 

First with the VPN that would monitor all of your communications and internet traffic, now they're lying about the data they recorded too. 

Sometimes I question why Facebook hasn't been shut down yet, either forcibly by Interpol and the US government or voluntarily by Facebook themselves.

Because Facebook, like Google, is a non-governmental Spy Agency. That's why the EU doesn't like either: they don't get access to all of the data. Zuck has taken a public beating from the Establishment because he's failed to be useful to them. There's a reason they keep dragging him to DC to look stupid. 

So, Facebook will be allowed to survive because it's useful for reasons other than what it claims to be its purpose. Note that pretty much every innovative company that Facebook acquires has its leadership bail as fast as possible. Everyone that isn't a lifer there can clearly issue the massive problems.

FB is just an echo chamber designed to program you.

Escape the bubble and it no longer exists.

Fresh air, own wants and goals, live to be yourself not others.

Stinkpci5 3550. DDR3 1600mhz 8GB. Gigabyte GA-H61N-USB3.0. Sapphire RX 570 Nitro 4GB oc. Noctua NH-L12. WD Black 600GB. Silverstone PSU 1KW. Advent 1440x900 75hz VGA monitor 1ms. Acer Veriton M464 chassis.

Self help guide.

2 hours ago, danieltien said:

Under questioning from the US Senate, however, they admit that it was a little closer to 18%

Wait... they admitted to something... oh WOW

✨FNIGE✨

Facebook caught lying through their teeth? Inconceivable! 

/s

Who cares?  It wasn't a covert operation or disguised process.  It doesn't matter what the percentage was, they all knew what they were signing up for and they had parental/career permission.

EDIT: also OP, it wasn't spyware. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Facebook is building a Datacenter in the home state of Senator Warner.

I wouldn't expect much to come out of this.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

It's like it's an social experiment with social engineering in works or something... 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

4 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

It's like it's an social experiment with social engineering in works or something... 

It's an experiment on how naive users are. Partially, by people simply not understanding tech. If someone explained it to them that usage of such VPN shows Fecesbook EVERYTHING they do with their phone, I don't think teenagers would just agree with it. Unless they really so blindly go after the money offered for it. This one was paid so they can basically fine tune the sensors to hoard data and then they'd just roll it out as some feature that all users would jump on and the data hoarding continues.

11 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

It's an experiment on how naive users are. Partially, by people simply not understanding tech. If someone explained it to them that usage of such VPN shows Fecesbook EVERYTHING they do with their phone, I don't think teenagers would just agree with it. Unless they really so blindly go after the money offered for it. This one was paid so they can basically fine tune the sensors to hoard data and then they'd just roll it out as some feature that all users would jump on and the data hoarding continues.

Yeah true sadly. Some people don't even care though. Regardless stil should not support that. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

8 hours ago, RejZoR said:

It was explained to them, that was part of the contract.  Sometimes you have to accept there are people out there willing to sell their privacy, just like there are those willing to be paid to test drugs, test new planes etc and so on.

8 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

Yeah true sadly. Some people don't even care though. Regardless stil should not support that. 

This is true, see my response to RejZoR.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Or they just idn't understand what that actually means. I don't think they know such service literally gives them access to EVERYTHING, even encrypted stuff, passwords, communication data NO ONE should have access to, let alone Fecesbook.

17 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Or they just idn't understand what that actually means. I don't think they know such service literally gives them access to EVERYTHING, even encrypted stuff, passwords, communication data NO ONE should have access to, let alone Fecesbook.

Why make assumptions about this?  You can't blame a company because the consumer might not have understood the conditions they signed on to. Nor can you assume the consumer didn't understand it.  By that logic all contracts should be null and void because its possible a party didn't fully understand what they read.