Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Trombles

I NEED A GPU UPGRADE PLS HELP

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi, I am having trouble choosing a new graphics card and was wondering if i could get some help getting a part that is not overkill for the overall build of the pc, used for gaming with the best settings as possible #pcmasterrace. I built my computer five years ago and i have just slowly started upgrading things earlier this year. My current build after i install this new cpu waiting for me will be.

Moba-z97x-soc-cf

cpu-i7-4790K Devil's Canyon Quad-Core 4.0 GHz

GPU- GTX970

ddr3 at 2400 - yes i went into the bios and changed to profile 1 to use the oc and not factor set.

power supply- cxm750.

Any ideas?

depends on what games you're playing and the resolution you're playing at.

PSU Tier List

PCs and other things:

Spoiler

Current PC

CPU: AMD A8-6600k (@4.2Ghz)

GPU: GTX 1070Ti 8gb FTW2 iCX

Motherboard: GA-F2A78M-HD2 

RAM: 8gb Patriot DDR3-1600mhz

Storage: Samsung 830 EVO 120gb, WD Blue 1tb 7200RPM 

PSU: SeaSonicM12II 620w (I wish I didn't buy this)

Peripherals: Logitech G305//Corsair K55 RGB 

Displays: Asus MG248QR//Dell 1905FP

Spoiler

New PC (getting parts)

CPU: i7-8086k [✓]

Cooling: EVGA CLC 280 RGB [✓]

GPU: EVGA GTX 1070Ti 8gb FTW2 iCX [✓]

Mobo: GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO [✓]

RAM: XPG SPEXTRIX X41 2666mhz (Grey) [✓]

Storage: T-Force Delta 250gb, WD Blue 1tb 7200RPM [✓]

PSU: 650w+ and ranked well

Case: Fractal Design Meshify C White

Peripherals: Logitech G305//Corsair K55 RGB [✓]

Displays: Asus MG248QR//Dell 1905FP [✓]

Extra: Sky blue front panel, sky blue cable extensions [✓]

Spoiler

Other

Phone: Huawei Mate 10 Lite (China steal my data???)

Dog: Irish Water Spaniel, Lucy, 9 years old (I didn't know what to write)

School Laptop: Acer Chromebook R11 ((less RAM than my phone)

2080 should slot in fine. Also pretty nice that you have the RAM at 2400MHz, dont think my 4x4 kit goes that high :D

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play MTGA & watch anime at 720p...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee! The Cassette Deck!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Wide game base. Almost anything really. Arma to League and back again. i was just worried about having an old moba with the 1150 chip set. This is probably the best proc and can get without a moba upgrade.

We would really need to know your budget to recommend something. 

9 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

2080 should slot in fine. Also pretty nice that you have the RAM at 2400MHz, dont think my 4x4 kit goes that high :D

He would probably CPU bottleneck that GPU, even a 2070.

Razer Blade Stealth | i5-7200u | 8GB DDR3 1866

Ryzen 2600x [PPT:150 TDC:114 EDC:168] | 16GB DDR4 3333mhz [15-15-15-36-50] | PowerColor Vega 56 8GB 

Phone Pixel 3 || Android - 9.0 

"The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing" - John Powell

1 minute ago, suchamoneypit said:

We would really need to know your budget to recommend something. 

He would probably CPU bottleneck that GPU, even a 2070.

my I7 4790k dosnt hold back my 1080 as far as i know, the 2070 is only about as good as the 1080. Id go for the 2080

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play MTGA & watch anime at 720p...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

my I7 4790k dosnt hold back my 1080 as far as i know, the 2070 is only about as good as the 1080. Id go for the 2080

I say that because I had a heavy overclocked 4690k and i guess the 4 cores just wasn't enough, it bottlenecked hard on a 1070 and a 1070ti. I guess the extra threads on the 4790k help a lot. Whats your average CPU utilization when gaming with the 1080?

Ryzen 2600x [PPT:150 TDC:114 EDC:168] | 16GB DDR4 3333mhz [15-15-15-36-50] | PowerColor Vega 56 8GB 

1 minute ago, suchamoneypit said:

I say that because I had a heavy overclocked 4690k and i guess the 4 cores just wasn't enough, it bottlenecked hard on a 1070 and a 1070ti. I guess the extra threads on the 4790k help a lot. Whats your average CPU utilization when gaming with the 1080?

havent checked that for quite a while since i dont play anything nearly demanding enough atm but it was probably like 70%-90%? The I7 4790K is a really nice chip

Builds:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

havent checked that for quite a while since i dont play anything nearly demanding enough atm but it was probably like 70%-90%? The I7 4790K is a really nice chip

Then I would say a 2080 would be pushing it bottleneck wise but a 2070 would probably be fine.

So something like MSI The Duke would be fine? I have a closed case the the armor rgb is a waste. Plus the case is full sized with a lot of room so it should fit the massive 3 fan length.

14 hours ago, Trombles said:

So something like MSI The Duke would be fine? I have a closed case the the armor rgb is a waste. Plus the case is full sized with a lot of room so it should fit the massive 3 fan length.

Any card that fitts and that you have enough power to drive will be fine

Builds:

Spoiler

18 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

he 2070 is only about as good as the 1080

the 2070 beats the 1080. it's not as good as the 1080.