VICE had YouTube shutdown a gaming channel with same name without contacting the owner

BananaInSandals

Source:

Uploaded by Anthony Heddings, the owner, to an alt channel

Reddit post

Write up of the vid by Anthony

I run an amateur gaming channel, with about 15,000 subscribers at the time of it being terminated.

Here’s the problem. My handle is Vice. I’ve gone by Vice on the internet for forever, it’s been my gamertag for years, and when I made my YouTube channel I didn’t think to change it.

As much as I personally believe this is a misuse of the trademark system, as my channel and brand is entirely different from theirs save for sharing four letters, the law is the law, and I’m (probably) in violation.

The exact clause my channel was terminated under was “Channels dedicated to a policy violation”

I received no email or any other contact from VICE or YouTube prior to deletion, despite my contact information being readily available. I haven’t heard back from YouTube yet on the appeal I submitted.

I’ve had my channel for nearly a year now with this name, but this decision comes right after my channel saw a huge boost in traffic this month.

Personal thought:

This is definitely a dick move from VICE. They could have just send a warning or whatnot to Anthony before taking down the whole channel. I'm not saying he has no responsibility. He could have changed his handle once he know. But VICE is being a huge dick here. It's like nuking a fly. 

Edit: Added Anthony's name 

EDIT2:

what’s worse is my content is gone completely. I edit my videos on a MacBook with 250GB of storage, each video uses about 40GB just to edit, so I don’t keep backups of my content. I’ve lost everything, and can’t even reupload.

Ouch! That's just completely unnecessary to delete the whole channel! Now everything is lost. It might not worth anything to a big company like VICE, but it sure as hell would worth a lot to the creator! Imagine your game save for a game you played for a year+ got deleted... 

Just now, VegetableStu said:

wow. at least pay the dude for the name ._.

sorry didn't realized his name was in the article. :( Will change it now

Just now, VegetableStu said:

wait, youtube dot come slash user slash vice goes to VICE media's channel o_o was this Anthony's previous vanity URL or did they already own this?

I believe it's not the URL name. It's the displaying name (? not sure what's that call). It's like the channel display name "Bitwit" for Kyle instead of his URL name "AwesomeSauceNews". It's the former that is Vice afaik. Not sure what's the latter one is.

Vice had their YouTube channel since 2005. Even if the gaming channel owner did not mean to use the same channel name, he wouldn't have an appeal case IMO. What is slightly disturbing to me is how YouTube is terminating the channel without any chance to fix the problem. If they're doing this for a channel name violation, how long before channels are terminated for other violations?

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

Oh no. They should at least have just paused the channel uploads or something untill name was changed if nothing else.

But they should really have sent a message to him and asked first....

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

The problem I have here is that VICE is trademarking an english word. Though this is not surprising given how The Verge did the same thing.... 

The other problem I have is that Youtube said "sure, ok, yes sir, we'll remove it right away per your instructions." You SHOULD NOT be able to trademark a single friggin word. VICE Media... thats another story. But this is an english word people. 

2 minutes ago, Sovek said:

VICE is trademarking an english word

I guess they should go try sue the U.S. government for using the word Vice in "Vice-president", "Vice admiral", and many more... :P Heck, they should go sue any company that has a "vice president" 

11 minutes ago, Mihle said:

Oh no. They should at least have just paused the channel uploads or something untill name was changed if nothing else.

But they should really have sent a message to him and asked first....

You say this like someone at VICE Media has a heart. Or common sense.

A girl who loves to love.

Just now, BananaInSandals said:

I guess they should go try sue the U.S. government for using the word Vice in "Vice-president", "Vice admiral", and many more... :P Heck, they should go sue any company that has a "vice president" 

Don't give them ideas..... cause they are likely to try given what they pulled with The Verge debacle

61Jt8eA.gif

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

2 hours ago, Sovek said:

Don't give them ideas..... cause they are likely to try given what they pulled with The Verge debacle

Well... They can take that idea for free from me. :P If they have the capital to fight the US government, who am I to stop them from exposing the ridiculousness of the situation? Imagine some random company calls themselves "Linus Media Group" and trademarking "Linus". No one can be called Linus anymore... :P 

YouTube is really going down the drain.

Gives me all the more reason to make Twitch my primary platform for content creation.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

11 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

to be honest I kinda contemplated reverse-streaming rendered video onto twitch as the mechanism for uploading regular videos to twitch, LOL

Afaik you can upload videos to twitch, unless they took that feature out.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

IANAL but there is precedent for multiple companies using the same trademark in different areas, and in the event of a conflict whoever got there first certainly has a fighting chance. Downside of the latter is it can take an expansive and time consuming court case to get there.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

I hope they also take down any video review of a pair of vice grips. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Looks like he needs some ad Vice on how to proceed.

6 hours ago, Sovek said:

The problem I have here is that VICE is trademarking an english word. Though this is not surprising given how The Verge did the same thing.... 

The other problem I have is that Youtube said "sure, ok, yes sir, we'll remove it right away per your instructions." You SHOULD NOT be able to trademark a single friggin word. VICE Media... thats another story. But this is an english word people. 

6 hours ago, BananaInSandals said:

Or the makers of Candy Crush Saga suing The Banner Saga creators over the single word 'Saga'.  Copyright suits are insane at times.

*EDIT*
Forgot to add that the guy is an idiot for not having a local backup of his content.  One should never rely solely on a third party to backup your important data.  Always have a minimum of one backup (besides the original), preferably 2-3 backups.

Edited by Jito463
Additional thoughts

7 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

they're probably dealing with this the same way they deal with actual impersonators ._.

Based on what was quoted in the OP's post:

7 hours ago, BananaInSandals said:

The exact clause my channel was terminated under was “Channels dedicated to a policy violation”

It sounds like an automated system assumed this was the case, without scanning the content to determine that this was actually the case.  This is such a bad move.  I'm pretty sure this is all driven by GDPR.

My Rig:

-i7 7700k @ 4.8 Ghz, delid

-ASRock Z270-ITX/ac mobo 

-16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V @ 3000Mhz

-RX 580 Sapphire Nitro+

-240 AIO, Celsius S24

-Crucial MX300 525GB, 2TB HDD

-Fractal Design Define Nano S

-650 80+ Gold semi modular from EVGA

-1080p 75Hz dell monitor

17 hours ago, floofer said:

Looks like he needs some ad Vice on how to proceed.

boi3.png.a63dbe8db91bacc733380d3ea4f93dc6.png

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

I wonder if Alphabet is telling YouTube to be this stupid to get it in such a state that it would be understandable to shut it down for good.

On 3/1/2019 at 10:16 PM, peanuts104 said:

It sounds like an automated system assumed this was the case, without scanning the content to determine that this was actually the case.  This is such a bad move.  I'm pretty sure this is all driven by GDPR. 

GDPR has nothing to do with this.

On 3/1/2019 at 9:16 PM, Jito463 said:

Or the makers of Candy Crush Saga suing The Banner Saga creators over the single word 'Saga'.  Copyright suits are insane at times. 

Don't forget Edge Games, which trademarked  the word "Edge" as well as the word "Edgy".

They have, among some other lawsuits, sued EA games when they made the game "Mirror's Edge" because it contained the word "Edge" in the name.

Luckily for us, EA took them to court and as a result Edge Games lost tardemark ownership of the words.

On 3/4/2019 at 10:56 AM, HarryNyquist said:

I wonder if Alphabet is telling YouTube to be this stupid to get it in such a state that it would be understandable to shut it down for good.

I doubt that.  Even though YT costs Alphabet a lot of money to maintain, they also get a considerable amount of search engine data from it that they wouldn't otherwise acquire.  YT is all about the data mining, profitability would simply be a bonus for them.