Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Queen Chrysallis

What happened the first time you tried overclocking?

I bricked an OEM motherboard trying to flash a custom BIOS that would unlock overclocking features. That wasnt fun!

The first time I tried to overclock a CPU, it was with my old FX-8150.

Didn't know WTF I was doing and just ended up getting a lot of crashes and blue screens, so I gave up and put it back on the default turbo settings. 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

5 hours ago, jstudrawa said:

I got lucky...

e4300 stock 1.8Ghz up to 3.42Ghz for 7 years, those chips were so much fun.  

for some reason as I scrolled past this i thought it said I got Kinky... I was very concerned for you for a sec

5 hours ago, CUDAcores89 said:

I overclocked an FX-8320 with the stock cooler. I just wanted it to perform the same as an FX-8350.

Well it did work, except my computer sounded like a vacuum cleaner.

That's the same result I got when I overclocked my A6-5400K.

my amd 8350 happened to be a nice golden one...for a year was able to run it at 5ghz on water. then my pump went out and back down to 4ghz on air and just left it at that since then.

21 hours ago, ReggieGRS said:

My first time as years ago on my good o'l 1070. I fire up afterburner and a benchmark app, started tweaking options and ran it. Was not seeing any performance increase. Cracked it up more. Nothing. Cranked it up some more. Still nothing. I was at 1k memory increase and 850 clock. 0 performance increase. Weird, right? Then i realized i didn't hit apply in the settings *face palm* after i realized that i fixed it by hitting that apply button. Naturally it crashed immediately. I freaked out, reset the settings, closed afterburner, rebooted the PC and was like "Yep, never again." And prayed i didn't broke my card. Only a week later i realized why the crash was understandable and i didn't broke the card. Tho there was at least one successful overclocking that day. That of my heart rate when the crash happened.

What about you? You had a shit time in your first time OCing or it went smooth?

The first time I tried overclocking was with my FX6300 Black Edition. I watched a YT video on the exact bios settings and applied those until I got to 5GH. Anything past 5 would cause a crash. Overall I would say it went pretty well thanks to the internet.

I almost melted a MOFSET off my Voodoo 2 PCI, I lifted it from the board and bolted a heat sink to it but later it fell off cause the legs didn't like bending. Good times!

I overclock everything if I can do it in a stable fashion, if I can't overclock I under volt. Either go faster for free or use less power.

23 hours ago, jstudrawa said:

I got lucky...

e4300 stock 1.8Ghz up to 3.42Ghz for 7 years, those chips were so much fun.  

Yes,they all overclock so well! The PC I put together for out in the shop at work is a 2.8ghz E6300 at 3.4Ghz. I literally just added some vcore and set the FSB to 1333 and it was fine, no other fiddle needed even on the stock 95W copper core Intel heatsink it runs 60C at full load, it's fairly cool in the shop for winter though, I expect you to see closer to 80C in the summer so I may swap a stronger cheap cooler on it. If I can find a quad that'll clock up to at least 3.0 for under $20 I might go for it. The board can take ddr3 but meh the ddr2 in it now is ok enough.

i just tweaked and improved on a prebuilds OK. I got it 220Mhz higher and kept it that way for 8 years.

On my 570. Slight overclock, was more on the undervolt side.

Decided I should probably run it at stock until I had the time to properly do the OC/UV for the sake of stability and the like... haven't bothered to do that yet.

*Actually, I lied. It would've been bumping my RAM up from 2400mhz to 2666...

I got so frustrated because I didn't understand what I was doing back then that I gave up for like 8 years before even considering it again.