Honda getting their "Urban EV" ready for production

cluelessgenius

I don't understand this trend of making electric cars so compact or so minimalistic. The cars just look disgustingly ugly. Tesla broke out of that mold by making the cars 'luxury'. 

Looks kinda cool, though the concept looked cooler. No mention of price though. The Renault Zöe and the electric Smart ForFour will direct competitors for it in the EU and are priced quite reasonably for EVs. Looks like it is possibly built to Kei car size?

I actually REALLY like this design language, I have to agree the concept looked a bit better (I honestly think half of that is the larger white rims on the concept) but otherwise I would buy this for sure. The sport ev concept looks pretty nice to me as well. Someone shop the concept rims onto this car pls

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

8 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

It looks terrified.

image.png.36848971f81737fed29db9de31a66edb.png

Sorry for the mess!  My laptop just went ROG!

"THE ROGUE":  ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR (2021)

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (80W)
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)
  • 2TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial P2 NVMe (games)
  • 90Wh battery + 200W power brick
  • 15.6" 1440p 165Hz IPS Pantone display
  • Logitech G603 mouse + Logitech G733 headset

"Hex": Dell G7 7588 (2018)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666
  • 1TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA (games)
  • 56Wh battery + 180W power brick
  • 15.6" 1080p 60Hz IPS display
  • Corsair Harpoon Wireless mouse + Corsair HS70 headset

"Mishiimin": Apple iMac 5K 27" (2017)

• i7-7700K
  • Radeon Pro 580 8GB (basically a desktop R9 390)
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD
  • 400W power supply (I think?)
  • 27" 5K 75Hz Retina display
  • Logitech G213 keyboard + Logitech G203 Prodigy mouse

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy

8 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

Most electric cards do tend to look awful and farfetched (too much futuristic or something) though.

This Honda is not a car, its more like an upgraded shoe. 

This is how you do a nice electric car: the Peugeot e-Legend

Spoiler

dims.jpeg.c7092e5c92825bf21b72b7d3e507d810.jpeg

As soon as this comes out in 2020 I'll snap one up. It's probably going to end up on LTT when it comes out, it packs a lot of technology, including 29 displays, including one 49-inch widescreen in the dash. It can charge its battery up to 80% in 25 minutes, and has a range of 600km, with 370kW at the wheel it gets 0-60 in four seconds. It even has custom perfumes. Safe to say I'm very excited. 

12 minutes ago, floofer said:

yeah well it looks nice but i have developed trust issues against peugeot. i thought they were all prejudices but my car develops to be real piece of shit. now maybe they gotten better over the years but i wont buy a peugeot the next few times i change cars.

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

The charge range is a little disappointing, it'd be a lot better if they'd managed to squeeze even 75km out of the battery packs...still, I'm sure it'll do quite well in it's intended markets; mostly cities. I'm fine with the looks. I imagine they had to change it slightly to conform with pedestrian impact standards, or this is cheaper/easier to produce. Happens with the majority of concept cars.

12 hours ago, mate_mate91 said:

Why do these hybrid/electro cars look like shit! I would not even sit in this car. It's so ugly! They are supposed to be prety so that everyone buys them and earth becomes greener, but it looks like they intentianly make them ugly so that they sell more gasoline cars.

Because looks are subjective, and a lot of people probably like the look of this. Most power grids aren't currently set up to accept wide adoption of electric vehicles, so it's not really something that's going to happen super fast ;)

11 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

Most electric cards do tend to look awful and farfetched (too much futuristic or something) though.

I imagine it has more to do with the aerodynamics and reducing drag than it does anything else. I fully expect within 15 years most cars will look more-or-less the same, as they discover the most efficient shape.

11 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

couldn't they just take the civic and replace the motor?

Why do they always have to make EV look like crap?!

You think it's that easy? Haha, right.

6 hours ago, ThePD said:

I don't understand this trend of making electric cars so compact or so minimalistic. The cars just look disgustingly ugly. Tesla broke out of that mold by making the cars 'luxury'. 

Lower weight = better range. Fewer switches, running gear, etc means less power draw.

This is one car. It's hardly the EV status quo.

3 hours ago, floofer said:

This Honda is not a car, its more like an upgraded shoe. 

Reveal hidden contents

dims.jpeg.c7092e5c92825bf21b72b7d3e507d810.jpeg

As soon as this comes out in 2020 I'll snap one up. It's probably going to end up on LTT when it comes out, it packs a lot of technology, including 29 displays, including one 49-inch widescreen in the dash. It can charge its battery up to 80% in 25 minutes, and has a range of 600km, with 370kW at the wheel it gets 0-60 in four seconds. It even has custom perfumes. Safe to say I'm very excited. 

Haha, we'll see how many of those features actually make it to the production vehicle...

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

3 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Haha, we'll see how many of those features actually make it to the production vehicle...

Probably all of them. The electric motor in the e-208 is already more than impressive, beats the Nissan Leaf, even though Peugeot is new to electric vehicles in this era. The e-208, which is expected to come out later this year, has a 110kW motor, 50kWh battery, has a range of 211 miles, and even costs 2000 pounds less than this Honda. Not to mention the 208 doesn't look like a washing machine. 

58 minutes ago, floofer said:

Probably all of them. The electric motor in the e-208 is already more than impressive, beats the Nissan Leaf, even though Peugeot is new to electric vehicles in this era. The e-208, which is expected to come out later this year, has a 110kW motor, 50kWh battery, has a range of 211 miles, and even costs 2000 pounds less than this Honda. Not to mention the 208 doesn't look like a washing machine. 

We'll see. I highly doubt it.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

It looks like an original Austin Mini Cooper and a Fiat to me.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

I like the exterior look it kinda reminds me of the Mark 1 Golf or the Lansia Delta Integrale. The interior looks horrible, too blocky doesnt match the sleek look of the exterior and the wood trim is ugly, the centre armrest is also ugly and looks out of place, also if its a 4 seater why not put an armrest and cup holders between the seats. The front door handles are also a bad idea, they will probably break like all other cars with these type of handles.

Glad to see its rear wheel drive.

7 hours ago, dizmo said:

The charge range is a little disappointing, it'd be a lot better if they'd managed to squeeze even 75km out of the battery packs...still, I'm sure it'll do quite well in it's intended markets; mostly cities. I'm fine with the looks. I imagine they had to change it slightly to conform with pedestrian impact standards, or this is cheaper/easier to produce. Happens with the majority of concept cars.

In the video they do mention that this prototype was developed before the concept car.

I think the design is try to look first Honda car N600 hatchback sell in the US.

17 hours ago, dizmo said:

The charge range is a little disappointing, it'd be a lot better if they'd managed to squeeze even 75km out of the battery packs...still, I'm sure it'll do quite well in it's intended markets; mostly cities.

It's rated for 200km?

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

20 hours ago, dizmo said:

As @S w a t s o n mentions, it's rated for 200km, so I'm not sure what the range issue is that you're referring to? 200km is actually massive overkill for an urban dweller (or even a suburban dweller). Most people drive within or under 40km per day for commute (including round trip), so plus errands, groceries, going to the movies, etc, 200km is plenty. Even if you consider reduced range during Winter, let's be really unfair and say you only get 100km range. That's still plenty.

Anyone who buys this is going to be charging it overnight every single day anyway. That means every morning they wake up to a car with a "full tank", so to speak. Only road trips would be a challenge for this car.

3 hours ago, S w a t s o n said:

It's rated for 200km?

Now in terms of the looks? VW is doing the same thing with their EV's:

The VW I.D.

VW-ID-1022460.jpg

Personally, I'm not a fan of this type of styling. I'm quite fond of modern (2010-2019) design language for regular cars - somewhat angular with splashes of curves.

Now, the VW EV SUV looks a lot better:

VW I.D. Crozz

VW_ID_Crozz,_IAA_2017_(1Y7A2031).jpg

Now this is stylish and futuristic without going overboard. Granted, the red paint scheme probably helps a lot, since that "LED Blue/White" paint scheme a lot of concept EV's are using is just... bleh.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

6 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

As @S w a t s o n mentions, it's rated for 200km, so I'm not sure what the range issue is that you're referring to? 200km is actually massive overkill for an urban dweller (or even a suburban dweller). Most people drive within or under 40km per day for commute (including round trip), so plus errands, groceries, going to the movies, etc, 200km is plenty. Even if you consider reduced range during Winter, let's be really unfair and say you only get 100km range. That's still plenty.

Anyone who buys this is going to be charging it overnight every single day anyway. That means every morning they wake up to a car with a "full tank", so to speak. Only road trips would be a challenge for this car.

200km is pretty pathetic for an EV. Honda is just using old technology in a new car. It's actually smaller than the 155 miles you get from a 2016 Nissan Leaf. This Honda does fetch an expected price of 25,000 pounds, so people really should expect a lot more. Its OK to make a small little city car, but really for the price they need a lot more. 

1 minute ago, floofer said:

200km is pretty pathetic for an EV. Honda is just using old technology in a new car. It's actually smaller than the 155 miles you get from a 2016 Nissan Leaf. This Honda does fetch an expected price of 25,000 pounds, so people really should expect a lot more. Its OK to make a small little city car, but really for the price they need a lot more. 

200 km is "pathetic" for a long range EV, but as a car specifically aimed at the urban/suburban demographic? It's not pathetic at all, since the average user will rarely if ever drive beyond the range of the car.

As long as they price it competitively with that limitation in mind.

You're right that the new Leaf has a better range. 2019 is up to 363 km (226 miles). But range is one aspect of a car. If the interior is much nicer, with better tech, plenty of drivers may decide the lower range doesn't matter, and the other factors are more important to them.

As I said, it's all about the price.

Personally, I'd want a EV with 400+ km range, Though I could get by with the 363 km range from the Leaf.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Just now, dalekphalm said:

200 km is "pathetic" for a long range EV, but as a car specifically aimed at the urban/suburban demographic? It's not pathetic at all, since the average user will rarely if ever drive beyond the range of the car.

Not so much as applies to the range, but for EV technology, where stuff like range, kWh, kW, all stuff that gets compared, it's not standing very strong. This isn't exactly a Gucci handbag either, its got to have a selling point somewhere. Calling it a day at 200km and saying its good enough for what it does just puts it out of competition. Why settle for less?

As long as they price it competitively with that limitation in mind.

Very true.

You're right that the new Leaf has a better range. 2019 is up to 363 km (226 miles). But range is one aspect of a car. If the interior is much nicer, with better tech, plenty of drivers may decide the lower range doesn't matter, and the other factors are more important to them.

My Dad has the 2019 leaf andI get to drive it a lot, it is very very nice. All the features you really want. Assisted steering cruise control, heated seats, CarPlay etc. Only thing I'd ask for is a leather interior

As I said, it's all about the price.

Still very true. It is made to compete with the Smart Fortwo, which is around 17,000. Although at that price point, you're still better off by far with a Leaf. 

Personally, I'd want a EV with 400+ km range, Though I could get by with the 363 km range from the Leaf.

The 2020 model is expected to have a 62kWh battery, you could expect a 30% increase in range. 

I would buy this honda over a leaf or model 3

The 2019 leaf is said to have a 150 mile range on Nissan's site, this honda is only 26 miles less, but the fact it is RWD and the interior are some big wins for the honda

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

1 hour ago, The Benjamins said:

I would buy this honda over a leaf or model 3

The 2019 leaf is said to have a 150 mile range on Nissan's site, this honda is only 26 miles less, but the fact it is RWD and the interior are some big wins for the honda

I'm not sure the RWD will be noticeable. I doubt turning the stability control off will be an option, nor are electric motors linear torque conducive to steering a car on the throttle. 

The interior does look cool, kinda Scandinavian with the wood effect trim. Another advantage it has over the Leaf is that's quite a bit shorter, could save 15 minutes looking for a parking space in a congested city.