looking to upgrade my gpu but wondering if i need to also upgrade my cpu

rcrutcher2181

i have a intel core i5 4460 quad 3.2g

nvidia geforce gtx 950

wanting to up grade my gpu to play on my tv and the resolution i want to play in is 3840 x 2160. but i am worry about bottle necking if i just upgrade my gpu and not my cpu. can anyone give me some advice of what i should do and what cards to buy. i have bout 500 to spend.

from some benchmarks i found, you should not run into much of a bottleneck if you went with something like the new GTX 1660 TI or even an RTX 2060, which has a performance similar to a GTX1070 and GTX 1070 TI respectively , and as discussed here, you should not see much of a bottleneck, if you are dead set on playing in that resolution though, you may run into an issue, since you have a limited budget i would recommend an I7 4790 if you absolutely have to upgrade, as you can find one used for around 200 USD on ebay,

49 minutes ago, Magicpandajuice said:

from some benchmarks i found, you should not run into much of a bottleneck if you went with something like the new GTX 1660 TI or even an RTX 2060, which has a performance similar to a GTX1070 and GTX 1070 TI respectively , and as discussed here, you should not see much of a bottleneck, if you are dead set on playing in that resolution though, you may run into an issue, since you have a limited budget i would recommend an I7 4790 if you absolutely have to upgrade, as you can find one used for around 200 USD on ebay,

The OP wants to play at 4k, so a 2060 is just not worth its performance on that resolution.

Id say get a radeon vii or a used 1080ti for a good 4k gaming experience

Used 10-series cards can be a pretty good value, since you want to play at a higher resolution the gpu should continue to be the bottleneck.