First Build, Want Opinions

zeromaveric

so i've been watching a lot of build videos lately, and i now have the urge to make my own. so i wanted to share my build for any tips/additions i may need

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/yMhWRJ

i think the main thing i want to try to add is a 250GB m.2 SSD, though it doesn't show up on website, so i'll outsource it. i'll also be adding an m.2 bluetooth adapter i found, since i plan on using a dualshock 4 controller. if anyone else has tips, i'd be happy to hear them

Edited by zeromaveric
updating build

It's good, but the CPU is significantly too weak for that system. Ryzen 5 at least or core i5 8400 at least. You can trash that optical drive if you need to save a bit.  Also, you won't notice significant performance increase from 2.5" SSD to m.2 nvme. That cooler will be acceptable, but won't yield great performance. 

I once gave Luke and Linus pizza.

Proud member of the ITX club.

**SCRAPYARD WARS!!!!**

#BringBackLuke

well, from what i've seen in other vids, i've noticed others using a 250GB for the OS, then a TB just for game storage. i picked the optical drive simply because i saw bluray. even though i doubt i'll be using it, i have the old mentality of better to have it and not need it

i picked that Ryzen 3 since i was looking for something relatively cheap. but if i ditch the optical as you suggest, i think it'll balance out

Oh wow, that PSU pick is not real great, too cheapy as EVGA has far better than that on offer. 

Also you went cheap on CPU, RAM and PSU while going HAM on case and motherboard, that's going to throw money away on no FPS gain while hurting your reliability with that level of parts.

7 minutes ago, SwagMaestro said:

It's good, but the CPU is significantly too weak for that system.

This. also theres no point in getting the g version as youre getting a gpu anyway

the Ryzen 3 is cheap, but youll get cheap performance to go with it

CPU: i5-4690k @ 4.4 GHz | RAM: 12GB DDR3 1333MHz | GPU: Sapphire Pulse RX 580 4GB 

so would i need a 750W power supply? and what kind of ram would you suggest?

Here's an idea of what I would lean toward, if you hate the case I subbed yours with you can let me know, but this will getter much better performance and I came in <$100 less than yours with faster ram, better CPU, WAY better PSU, etc:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($174.06 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte - B450 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($104.43 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Team - Vulcan 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($94.93 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($149.99 @ Samsung) 
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  ($498.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: NZXT - H500 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($73.83 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($53.83 @ Newegg) 
Keyboard: Logitech - K120 Wired Standard Keyboard  ($9.48 @ Target) 
Other: Rosewill RDCR-11004 - Data Hub for 5.25" Drive Bays - Two USB 3.0  ($27.41 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1186.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-02-27 22:47 EST-0500

the build looks like a train wreck. which country? 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

Just for fun I did an Intel one too in case you need high refresh rate (120Hz+) or games/apps that want Intel:

CPU: Intel - Core i5-9600K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($268.00 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK - AIDOS BLACK 48.6 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($24.88 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: ASRock - Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($105.48 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Team - Vulcan 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($94.93 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($149.99 @ Samsung) 
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  ($498.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: NZXT - H500 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($73.83 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($53.83 @ Newegg) 
Keyboard: Logitech - K120 Wired Standard Keyboard  ($9.48 @ Target) 
Other: Rosewill RDCR-11004 - Data Hub for 5.25" Drive Bays - Two USB 3.0  ($27.41 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1306.82
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-02-27 22:55 EST-0500

with that tower, i wouldn't need the data hub i picked out, so shave another 26 bucks off. the board still has 2 M.2 sockets, for my other stuff. thanks for the suggestions, LogicWeasel. i think i'll go with your first pick

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($309.99 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK - AIDOS 48.6 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($21.34 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: ASRock - B360M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($72.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Team - Vulcan 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($89.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: HP - EX900 250 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($46.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($58.44 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: MSI - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB Video Card  ($459.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: SAMA - Maxcool-W-15LEDLight MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($46.97 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair - CX (2017) 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($34.99 @ Newegg) 
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer  ($61.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Keyboard: Gigabyte - FORCE K83 Wired Standard Keyboard  ($39.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1243.66
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-02-27 23:03 EST-0500

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

ok, i've pretty much changed it to LogicWeasel's build, but also looking for an M.2 SSD. which one would you guys suggest?

Edit: though i noticed the board lacks SLI support. i hear that was supposed to improve GPU performance, or would i have to not worry about that?

Edited by zeromaveric

12 minutes ago, zeromaveric said:

ok, i've pretty much changed it to LogicWeasel's build, but also looking for an M.2 SSD. which one would you guys suggest?

Edit: though i noticed the board lacks SLI support. i hear that was supposed to improve GPU performance, or would i have to not worry about that?

Please press the reply button when you're replying to someone so we can see it :/

SLI is no bueno and really unnecessary these days.

I once gave Luke and Linus pizza.

Proud member of the ITX club.

**SCRAPYARD WARS!!!!**

#BringBackLuke

41 minutes ago, zeromaveric said:

You don't want SLI, don't worry about that.  Single, quality GPU is the meta and will continue to be better as SLI support (or scaling) in games is not great to say the least.

Also just to confirm what you meant, you do realize SLI means you buy a 2nd Video card (same model) of what you have, and get less than 60% improvement in FPS in most cases (assuming the SLI support exists for the game).   It isn't just some magic thing that makes a single video card better.  Notice that when you watch any of the LTT build videos in the past year, Linus does not recommend dual GPU for any gaming rig , let alone with an actual budget (that's realistic like, yah know less than $2500).

For an M.2 drive if you prefer using that to a Sata SSD, than you can just get an M.2 Version of your Samsung 860 Evo, or get a Crucial MX500 as they're also quality (sata) SSDs.  https://pcpartpicker.com/product/fgZFf7/crucial-mx500-500gb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-ct500mx500ssd4 

For a true NVMe SSD (more extreme, only get one if you know your use-case and you need the faster storage as gaming doesn't benefit here vs a good Sata SSD) that'd be the HP EX900 in Herman's build or something like AData SX8200.

as i mentioned in an earlier post, pretty much doing the whole dual storage deal, of having the M.2 for the OS, and the SATA for game storage. though after adding it, the compatibility notes said something about the M.2 and SATA sharing the bandwidth as well as disabling a port? though this says when put in slot 1, no clue of slot 2

1 minute ago, Tera Byte said:

Would recommend a 80+ power supply and a better cpu and cooler.

updated post with current build

Just now, zeromaveric said:

updated post with current build

If you plan to overclock you should get a cooler with more headroom other than that it looks good to me.

2 hours ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($309.99 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK - AIDOS 48.6 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($21.34 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: ASRock - B360M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($72.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Team - Vulcan 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($89.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: HP - EX900 250 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($46.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($58.44 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: MSI - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB Video Card  ($459.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: SAMA - Maxcool-W-15LEDLight MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($46.97 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair - CX (2017) 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($34.99 @ Newegg) 
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer  ($61.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Keyboard: Gigabyte - FORCE K83 Wired Standard Keyboard  ($39.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1243.66
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-02-27 23:03 EST-0500

This build is awesome!