Gaming keyboard not detected after reboot

PanteraGuk

Board: Z370-e rog strix

Device with issue: Cougar 700k keyboard

First time poster here. I usually don't post because with enough research and poking around I can find the answer. This time I'm stumped and the answer eludes me. 

Situation: 
I have a Cougar 700K keyboard I've used for about 2 years. In that time I've used it on 2 systems. My current system has an Asus Z370-E mobo and been using that keyboard on that mobo for a year. Recently I changed cases and added some new fans, GPU and an m.2. Since then my Cougar keyboard has been acting up something fierce. 

Initial issue.

1. When the computer is off and turned on or was rebooted the keyboard (and only the keyboard) comes up as "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)"
  2. Unplugging the usb and reconnecting it after the computer is fully booted resolves the issue every time.

So the keyboard works just is not recognized on startup. It is not able to access bios with F2 or del although when in bios it does detect its presence. Also it works on 2nd PC with out any issues. 

Things I've tried that I've found in my research. 

1. Tested on 2nd computer. Works.
  2. Disconnect USB and reconnect after fully booted. Works. (I did this every time before rebooting to make sure it was working before doing so)
  3. Turned of fastboot in windows and in Asus bios. Not recognized on startup.
  4. Removed power plug 10 min and reconnected. After this I tested a few reboots and it worked. Tested powering down for 5-10 min and back on. Not recognized on startup after 2nd attempt. (best success so far)
  5. Flashed Bios (1802). Not recognized on startup.
  6. Flashed prior Bios version (1602). Same.
  7. Tried all available USB connectors both I/O panel and case connectors. Same.
  8. Went to windows power options and disabled USB Selective suspend setting. same.

What am I missing? It seems to be a boot or bios issue. The thing works and has worked. Its just not working after I put it all in a new case. All other usb devices work (Crap HP keyboard , Audio interface, corsair node pro, corsair mouse, headset....) with out any problems. 

Please help

sounds like a usb interface initialisation  issue on your system, not your keyboard, especially if its working on your other system fine

in device manager go into your universal serial bus controllers and see if you can troubleshoot any issues, update drivers or enable/disable them, or if any have the warning triangle icon for any issues

maybe let the system turn on with the keyboard plugged in and not working and leave it in, navigate to this screen to see if there are any issues

image.png.9bd41d1ada0b0ff2bd12ad5dc2bd41b3.png

also obviously go into the keyboard tab to see if there are any issues or differences when you unplug and plug it in

CPU: i5-4690k @ 4.4 GHz | RAM: 12GB DDR3 1333MHz | GPU: Sapphire Pulse RX 580 4GB 

10 minutes ago, DakotaWebber said:

sounds like a usb interface initialisation  issue on your system, not your keyboard, especially if its working on your other system fine

in device manager go into your universal serial bus controllers and see if you can troubleshoot any issues, update drivers or enable/disable them, or if any have the warning triangle icon for any issues

maybe let the system turn on with the keyboard plugged in and not working and leave it in, navigate to this screen to see if there are any issues

also obviously go into the keyboard tab to see if there are any issues or differences when you unplug and plug it in

He can remove them all and reboot and have them get detected again and it should be good to go.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

36 minutes ago, DakotaWebber said:

I have already clicked on each usb controller and reinstalled the driver for each.

I want to chime in on this one: I have the exact same issue. Everytime I boot my machine I have to unplug and replug my keyboard. It is also a Cougar 700K. My MB is an Asus TUF Mark2 and my machine is running Windows 10 Pro. I also updated to the latest bios, turned of fastboot in windows and the bios, tried all USB ports - no luck.

I'm lost.

3 hours ago, Lauer said:

I want to chime in on this one: I have the exact same issue. Everytime I boot my machine I have to unplug and replug my keyboard. It is also a Cougar 700K. My MB is an Asus TUF Mark2 and my machine is running Windows 10 Pro. I also updated to the latest bios, turned of fastboot in windows and the bios, tried all USB ports - no luck.

I'm lost.

Oh dear. We will find an answer dammit!

Gave up. Got k70 mk2. Works fine. 700k will go on my streaming rig. 

4 hours ago, Lauer said:

Ha, I connected the keyboard via the hub of my monitor - and it works!

Lol. You know that’s dumb that it works that way. I bought a tp link powered usb hub to test this exact theory but the power of RGB compelled me. Plus I need a gaming keyboard for my all cougar streaming rig. So yeah. Glad you got it working but it’s dumb that it has to work that way. I embraced cougar heavily 2 years ago but slowly have been moving off due to silly quirks they have with their products. I had their headset for 2 days before sending it back due to the shitty mic. My Cougar pioneer case has a fan you cant remove because it screws in from the inside and the screws are blocked by a riveted in drive bay. The 700k, for me, had a BAD habit of recording macros on to my WASD while playing. I’m not sad to see it go even though I loved its design and build quality. 

I now have a Corsair k70 mk.2 with mx speed switches and I love it. Only reason I went with that over others is that it has a similar metal backplate design that the 700k did. Never used the macro buttons on the 700k any ways.

Well, yeah. It's my first cougar equipment and all this trouble leaves me underwhelmed.

I might have to change to something else in the not too distant future...