YouTube recommendations are getting EXTREMELY aggressive

Fasauceome

A week ago I decided to test the algorithm, really wanted to see what it decided I wanted to watch. I watched 4 videos about r/, and for several days my recommended feed was littered with r/ videos. I tested the "not interested button" as well, checking either "I don't like the video" or "Not interested in the channel" or both, and it did not seem to affect my recommendations for these r/ videos whatsoever, they eventually disappeared after a few days because I didn't watch any of the recommended vids. The four I watched were back to back.

At some point, I watched a single video by a YouTuber CarlSagan42, and did not care for it, so I didn't watch any more. YouTube has not only recommended me many mario maker videos because of this, but most of them are from him. Again, the "not interested" function seemingly did nothing.

My newest test, watch a dozen or so Last Week Tonight videos and see what happens. The result:

Not only does YouTube think this is all I want to watch now, but it's still recommending me CarlSagan42 videos, and as the top priority on the "up next" spot no less. This is starting to piss me off, because out of the channels I'm not subscribed to that I watch on a semi regular basis, I hardly get GamersNexus, Bitwit, or Jayz2cents videos.

edit: part deux

Edit 2: I forgot to mention, I did this genre wise as well, with a number of halo videos. There was a brief swell of 2 or 3 recommendations per vid but after that I only got 1 every couple videos or so, and this was largely without clicking the "not interested" button.

One more edit: after weeks of not watching another r/ video and hitting "not interested" on all of them, I get this:

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Whoa. That's crazy. The algorithm has been working very well for me. Too well even - I put down "don't like this channel" on Austin Evans and never had him suggested to me since, I've had a Linus video I didn't like that I marked as "I don't like this" and never saw again. It knows not to suggest techlinked to me for re-watch, trying to bait me with the earlier videos of it. 

Are you American? Maybe they have a different algorithm

I once gave Luke and Linus pizza.

Proud member of the ITX club.

**SCRAPYARD WARS!!!!**

#BringBackLuke

Just now, SwagMaestro said:

Are you American? Maybe they have a different algorithm

It's possible, I don't know why they would factor regional habits in though when fine tuning per user is so easy though.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

It's possible, I don't know why they would factor regional habits in though when fine tuning per user is so easy though.

I don't know why they don't let me use the premium YouTube features that I pay for outside the US either. It's just weird America-gets-it-first stuff either. Maybe erasing the algorithm preferences for you will work? It's buried somewhere in your Google settings

I once gave Luke and Linus pizza.

Proud member of the ITX club.

**SCRAPYARD WARS!!!!**

#BringBackLuke

The algorithm is never wrong...it probably just needs to mine more data... For some reason it seems to not know much about your watching habits yet...by chance, did you start a clean Google account and use a VPN for your tests? I ran across similar behavior when I was messing with VMs and VPN to see how Google reacts.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Razor Blade said:

The algorithm is never wrong...it probably just needs to mine more data... For some reason it seems to not know much about your watching habits yet...by chance, did you start a clean Google account and use a VPN for your tests? I ran across similar behavior when I was messing with VMs and VPN to see how Google reacts.

I have been watching YouTube videos almost daily since 2008, they've got data.

Primary PC:

21 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

My newest test, watch a dozen or so Last Week Tonight videos and see what happens. The result:

You watched a dozen or so videos of a particular genre by the same creator and now YouTube is recommending you other similar videos by the same creator?

Sounds like it's working as it's meant to.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

You watched a dozen or so videos of a particular genre by the same creator and now YouTube is recommending you other similar videos by the same creator?

Sounds like it's working as it's meant to.

I've had viewing stints like this before and have not had my entire recommended feed filled almost completely by the one channel. Like I said, this never happens with GamersNexus or other PC channels, it always tries to direct me away from them.

Primary PC:

I’ve been training my account for a long time so personally when I say not interested, the videos disappear fairly quickly as I’m strict to how I interact with videos. Disliking really helps train ime. 

1 minute ago, fpo said:

Disliking really helps train ime. 

I'll definitely try to implement that, usually liking has been shown to affect video moving very little in the past so I'll give it a shot.

Primary PC:

Just now, fasauceome said:

I'll definitely try to implement that, usually liking has been shown to affect video moving very little in the past so I'll give it a shot.

If you dislike a video, click off early in the video & say not interested, that’s like a near instant “I hate this. Don’t show me again.” Can take up to 4 or 5 methods to a channel/topic you dislike depending how much you watched in the past. 

YT only recommends me local cancer no matter what I do 

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

This is pure insanity. We are treating youtube like a pet dog—training it to understand what we like and trying to influence what turns up on our suggested. Why should we be doing all this work just to be unsatisfied in what we are being recommend. Youtube giving us more trashy and dull content just to shove an ad every few minutes and make more money. Sorry for the rant,  but I feel like this is stupid.

“Security is always excessive until it’s not enough.”

– Robbie Sinclair, Head of Security, NSW Australia 

“Have you tried turning it off and on again?” - Every Tech Rep Ever

If you need help with your build please tag me.

Main PC:

CPU: Ryzen 3 1300x RAM: 8gb ddr4 2666 MT/s Mobo: ASRock A320M HDD: 1tb WD GPU: Gtx 1050ti 4gb

Spoiler

P.s. if you can tell me what reference my location I will follow you. 

Bonus points if you can tell me the names of the people there. 

2 minutes ago, I-r0k said:

training it to understand what we like and trying to influence what turns up on our suggested.

It's supposed to do that on its own, hence the algorithm.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Hint: it's all about money.  Advertisers and the Producers are paying YouTube a boat load of money to get the content they want in your recommended list.

I get recommended those videos that steal reddit content (videos about top posts in subreddits) that I've never watched and was never interested in, yet they still appear even after I tell YouTube I'm not interested in those

What rubbish ?

🙂

youtube should have a “hide channel” button where basically it will keep you from seeing that channel on youtube

maybe there can be a tab thet shows what channels you chose so you can change your preferences

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*  Quote for a reply  *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*   Ask for discord   *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

8 hours ago, fasauceome said:

A week ago I decided to test the algorithm, really wanted to see what it decided I wanted to watch. I watched 4 videos about r/, and for several days my recommended feed was littered with r/ videos.

I noticed the same thing.

It seems like it used to actively try to show you mostly related videos, but some unrelated, that were outside of your filter bubble.
Now, it makes a filter bubble so tight that it's becoming legitimately hard for me to actually find new content or content producers.

It's gotten to the point that the majority of my YouTube browsing actually takes place with me logged out of my account, and when I find something I like, I log in and search for it there.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

dude i never trust that thing, i watch videos i want, hell i have to use a third party extension for youtube to see every video my subscriptions have uploaded since i want to fucking watch their new content, thats why i subed in the first fucking place

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

2 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

hang on for a bit: are you guys talking about the rSlash youtube channel? o_o I've briefly seen them being boosted a few days back (didn't click on them ._.)

Yep, and also some others doing the same thing. Very suspicious.

EDIT: here's one that just popped up

image.png.38218ecf77c56b9c1f3833a0b902c399.png

🙂

2 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

hang on for a bit: are you guys talking about the rSlash youtube channel? o_o I've briefly seen them being boosted a few days back (didn't click on them ._.)

The genre of r/ as opposed to just the channel. It kinda blew up recently.

Primary PC:

8 hours ago, ManuelNigrito said:

They are pushing a politcal agenda and banning anyone that disagrees

I don't know what political agenda is associated with Mario maker and r/

Primary PC: